Old 07 April 2020, 08:25   #1

Town: widnes
Boat name: scorpio
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard
Honwave T35

Hi,

I have a Honwave T35 and have problems with water underneath the aluminium floor?
The boat is on a trailer permanently so we never get the opportunity to inspect it properly.
Given our enforced downtime at the moment I have taken the floor out it to try to understand where the water is coming from and how to get rid of it.
I think? the water is probably rain water along with a little we collect whilst travelling. The water appears to sit in a pool in the bow of the boat (can't see it with the floor down) and is probably there all the time. When boating you can feel the water moving around under the floor moving around. As the engine is permanently on the boat it is impossible to drain the boat fully prior to launching.
Does anyone else experience similar problems and if so have you overcome them? I was thinking of some kind of bildge pump. I think it would have to be a manual one as there is very limited space under the floor and I also need to access both the bow "pool" and water that collects at the stern.
Thanks Dave
Old 07 April 2020, 10:14   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Is it not possible to fully tilt the engine then lift the trailer hitch really high with the bungs out before you set off... or would that still leave some in?

Starting from dry at launch with our T35 we never got enough in from splash to need removing until hauled out at the end of the day.
Old 07 April 2020, 10:31   #3

Hi Fenlander,

The bars that hols the number plate prevent us from lifting the bow very high.
I do think most of the water is rain water as we never deflate it.
The pool of water in the bow was unexpected when we removed the floor?
Was thinking of getting a hand held bilge pump with a small diameter pipe that i could get underneath the floor and empty any residue water. The only other option is to remove the engine every time but its a 20hp and heavy.
I also put the boat on a mooring for 2 weeks in the Summer (hopefully this year!) and it is the fully open to the elements along with the daily collection from splash and kids!
cheers Dave
Old 07 April 2020, 10:49   #4
RIBnet admin team

I forget now and I’m not near any images but is there a cutout in the centre of the floor adjacent transom so you could poke a hose down from a basic manual pump and pump out before hitching up? Surely the hitch can be lifted enough for the collected water to flow to the transom even if if doesn’t quite get out the drains?!
Old 07 April 2020, 11:51   #5

Its the pool in the bow that I'm concerned about as it doesn't appear to empty towards the back when lifted? You can feel it move under the floor when you hit a wave at speed
Old 07 April 2020, 12:15   #6
RIBnet admin team

Ahh OK I accept what you say but it's weird because even a slight extra lift when moving with the bow handle when on transom wheels was enough to slosh any bow water to the transom.

In your case then a 2" hole in the bow board which I think is timber will give you access for a hand pump tube.
Old 07 April 2020, 18:15   #7

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Remove the number plate and bars whilst storing and jack up with the jockey wheel for the water to drain out the transom drain
Old 08 April 2020, 02:54   #8

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
We just tilt the outboard up on ours and lift the front up with the drain plug out prior to launch . Usually drains pretty quickly.
Old 09 April 2020, 12:08   #9

Thanks for the replies.
I'm thinking of removing the number plate bars so should be able to tilt the boat up high enough to empty the standing water.
Old 10 April 2020, 20:58   #10

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
The issue could be due to the dain valve sits bit high at lower transom and doesn't drain 100% the water level accumulated there after boating, rinsing the Sib's interior. Post a pic of the drain valve shot from the inside at floor level with alum floors and motor removed ?

Happy Boating
Old 22 April 2020, 21:49   #11

Town: ...
Boat name: none
Make: Honwave 3.5-AE
Engine: Mariner 6hp
The drain plug is located quite high so raising the towbar will be necessary to drain the rainwater fully. The manual warns against trailing with the engine installed
Old 23 April 2020, 07:30   #12

Town: Bridgend
Boat name: Dolly
Engine: 9.9 Mercury outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave gregson View Post
Hi,

I have a Honwave T35 and have problems with water underneath the aluminium floor?

The boat is on a trailer permanently so we never get the opportunity to inspect it properly.

Given our enforced downtime at the moment I have taken the floor out it to try to understand where the water is coming from and how to get rid of it.

I think? the water is probably rain water along with a little we collect whilst travelling. The water appears to sit in a pool in the bow of the boat (can't see it with the floor down) and is probably there all the time. When boating you can feel the water moving around under the floor moving around. As the engine is permanently on the boat it is impossible to drain the boat fully prior to launching.

Does anyone else experience similar problems and if so have you overcome them? I was thinking of some kind of bildge pump. I think it would have to be a manual one as there is very limited space under the floor and I also need to access both the bow "pool" and water that collects at the stern.

Thanks Dave

Hi Dave,
I have the same problem but only noticed when I deflated it to pack up for the winter! Shit loads of water and some sand under the aluminium deck. I’m new to this so if you find a solution then let me know!
Ian
Old 23 April 2020, 08:55   #13

Town: Falmouth
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 150F
Hi Dave,
In our Zodiac SIB we also sometimes left it in the water for a few days during our many holidays on the West Coast of Scotland. Given the beautiful Scottish weather, there was on that rare occasion it rained an amount of rain water in it. To empty, just as setting off I'd just pull the bungs out the back then rather than go straight onto the plane I'd just hold it just off the plane so the bow was raised and the water would flow out the back, if there had been a substantial amount of rain then it wasn't unusual for the water level to be above the aft floorboard when just off the plane. Once all the water was out I'd just stop, take the engine out of gear and reach over the transom and put the bungs back in, you're always going to get a little water back in whilst putting the bung back in but with practice it's minimal and you shouldn't notice it.