Old 21 April 2021, 10:37   #1

Town: brighton
Boat name: honwave
Make: honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: 10hp honda bf10
Hydrus III 3.3m vs Excel Volante 330

Hi all,

I currently have a 3.5m T35 Honwave, its got the aluminium deck and I am starting to get bored with setting it up every time and do not have room to trailer it. I went on my mates Hydrus 3.3m air deck and it was so light and so much easier to setup, so I would like to also purchase an air deck for when I am on my own.

I really like the honwaves build quality for me its really good but I do not like the V deck on the air decks, so that's out of the question.

The excel volante seems like a lovely boat and at a good price, what is the difference between the excel and the Hydrus? Would anyone be able to recommended anything else?

The boat will be used for fishing, I am fully aware of precautions to be made with the floor etc. I'm mainly interested in the material, build quality, handling, and tube sizes, weight.

Excel Volante 330:
£879
Boat Weight = 48kg
Tube Fabric (Hytex) = 1100
Tube Diameter = 42cm

Hydrus III:
Price: £999
Boat Weight = 51kg
Tube Fabric ?
Tube Diameter ?
Old 21 April 2021, 11:01   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'd never heard of the Hydrus III until your mention above. It seems to be a generic air floor made in China. Probably on the water little different to the Excel which has a similar design.

Getting to over 50kg for a 3.3m air floor is on the heavy side... my 3.8m air floor is only 43kg.

Do you see any feature for your use on the Hydrus to justify £120 more than the established and well regarded Excel brand?

Just one general point re both models being the flat air floor with sausage keel design... under some circumstances with some setups the floor can undulate/flex at speed and cause the prop to lose grip (ventilate).

Update: Also do you know of the seller of the Hydrus to be happy giving deposit for pre-order as they request? No address given for a shop or retail location and company registered to a private house. Company Facebook is a private group too.
Old 21 April 2021, 11:43   #3

Hi, thanks for such a fast reply!

The Hydrus is becoming very popular but I've only ever compared it to my ally deck which obviously is completely different. I do not see any justification at the moment for the extra £££.

I am aware of Carlo the seller he is a nice guy and have met him multiple times, I have no concern with purchasing a boat of him I'm just hoping someone on this forum has a volante 330 that they can compare with the Hydrus.

But you are right 51kg is quite a heavy air deck, which one do you have that is 43kg?

Your point around the sausage keel design is very interesting, I've not thought about this, so thanks.

I am heading more towards the volante... but lets see if anyone else has any input

Thanks
Old 21 April 2021, 12:13   #4
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Ahh OK re Carlo... just for myself with no previous info it's an odd company setup... perhaps semi-club based?

I owned a T35 some years ago and thought it an excellent SIB... but too much cursing and too many skinned knuckles caused me to sell on.

My current SIB is a Bombard Aerotec... now discontinued but part of the Zodiac group and a premium product with a premium £2500+ price tag when last sold.

Because of an age related shoulder/neck problem I've just moved to a lighter outboard and at this moment awaiting delivery of an Elling KB350 which is stuck in the Ukraine... about 40kg for 3.5m.
Old 21 April 2021, 12:42   #5

Yeah you could say club based.

Exactly that, I love the boat but its added stress and weight especially at 5am wanting to get out on the water!

The Elling KB350 looks very nice, I love the big tubes and the minimal weight!
Old 21 April 2021, 17:53   #6

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Hi and welcome. I can't comment on the Hydrus as like Fenlander I'd not heard of them until you mentioned them.

I have the Excel SD360 (big brother to the SD330) and I am really happy with it.

I did a review of the of the SD360 which may help you.

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/newbie...360-84403.html

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/excel-...iew-84423.html

You may also wish to read a review of the SD330 by Pumpkinking, which helped me in deciding which SIB to buy.

Good luck in your decision.
Old 21 April 2021, 18:44   #7

Town: London
Boat name: Pip
Make: Excel Volante 330
Length: under 3m
Engine: Suzuki DF6A
Hydrus III 3.3m vs Excel Volante 330

Hey Southys.

I do indeed have a Volante 330, my review after first outing last year can be found here:

SIB Review: Excel Volante SD330
https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/sib-review-excel-volante-sd330-84136.html#post816587

Much like Steve, I love it. Only got about two weeks of use last year, one week up in Cumbria and another around Falmouth, planning on more adventures this summer.

Can’t see any reason on paper not to go for the Volante considering the price and weight, but you’ll make the right choice for you I’m sure.

Happy shopping!

Best,
George
Old 22 April 2021, 09:49   #8

Ah that is a very nice looking boat, thank you for the in depth review.
Thank you
Old 06 May 2021, 22:07   #9

Town: Heanor, Derbyshire
Boat name: Bob.
Make: Ex Vol390 + Van485
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki 2.5/9.9/20hp
RIBase
Southys how is your research going? As Hydrus is so new many people have not had the opportunity to get first hand experience like they have of Excel and other brands.