Old 05 July 2024, 20:15   #1

Length: 4m +
I Want an Inflatable RIB Hull

I, and others here, expected the 2007 SUP board technology could have done more by now to give us a decent V hull on a SIB. One limitation of this drop stitch approach is that there can be no fluctuations in thickness. So we get a flat slab floor with a soft sausage keel or maybe two slabs put together somehow to make a floppy shallow V hull.

A Dutch company, shapewave, has developed a new technology that allows for variable shapes and thickness. They are testing and will soon be selling their wavemaker machine this year.

Quote:
Andrew McPherson (Co-Founder GC32 Racing Class) recognises that "In the watersports market there are numerous exciting applications for shapewave, from airfoils for kites and wings to SUP boards and even RIB hulls."

https://www.marinebusinessworld.com/...-for-METSTRADE
Old 06 July 2024, 11:42   #2
RIBnet admin team

Length: 4m +
That's very interesting stuff - dropstitch airdecks changed the general terrain in small SIBs and that technique (while not quite as revolutionary as they make it sound) could do similar for larger hulls. The Aerotec lovers of this parish will be all over it - for good or bad
Old 06 July 2024, 22:17   #3
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>> The Aerotec lovers of this parish will be all over it.

I didn't know the drop stitch method was only for constant thickness but thinking about it I've only seen slab shaped floors using that method.

I reckon drop stitch isn't the issue with floppy air floors more the engineering principles of construction shapes of said slabs. I'm trying to think how the variable length ribbon could move HP Sib floors forward? The only thing I can think of is a flat floor with the outer V hull all part of one construction but the air volume would be significant to inflate to HP. Might work though.

Re the Niche-otec for niche people the design is already sound with drop stitch... just needs someone to persuade Boatworld to commission one.

Tags
inflatable, rib