Old 03 July 2024, 00:50   #1

Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20hp
Large SIB for Solo

Hello! I am planning on purchasing my first SIB (downsizing from 20ft cruiser) and I intend on going down the Honwave T38 route, coupled up with a 20hp. The main thing holding me back from pulling the trigger is could going alone in a larger sized SIB be a burden for getting on the plane? I intend on doing some offshore fishing and some distance along the coast as close to full speed as possible.

I'm an RNLI D class Helmsman (which is basically a big SIB!) and Commercial high speed craft skipper, not a newbie 😀

Thanks for your help!
Old 03 July 2024, 07:06   #2

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Hello! As a Helmsman of the 'King of SIBs' you will be very welcome here!

I cannot see any reason why you'd have any issues - piloting what is still a pretty small boat alone or with passengers will be fine and it should hop up on the plane one-up super quick. It might just be a case of having any load (anchor box/kit/fuel) up in the bow to balance things better.
Old 03 July 2024, 08:47   #3

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
In my view that is the best sib you can buy. I have had that and several others for years. It is absolutely fine with 1 person. Loads of videos of ours on our You tube

https://www.youtube.com/@boatingsibb...ing3262/videos
Old 03 July 2024, 08:58   #4

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Welcome to the forum. After a crewed up D-class I think you'll find a T38 (or any 3.8 SIB) very lively one up with a 20hp.

Personally if there is any weather at all I far prefer to have a single crew with me in our broadly similar slightly deeper keeled and lighter 3.8m Aerotec but you can offset that to a degree with fuel tank and kit at the bow. I have seen a couple of videos from members showing the T38 with its blunt upswept bow being prone to riding bow high when catching the wind and needing some sorting of weight distribution.

I do anything to avoid tiller extensions but have a very short one when solo. If you were underpowered then solo you might need to get forward with just finger tips on the end of the OB tiller but not with a 20hp. When we had a 20hp on the Aerotec it would leap on the plane in moments wherever you were sitting... no wait to get over the hump. I'm sure a T38 would be the same.
Old 03 July 2024, 08:58   #5

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
I'm guessing this is the V floor?
With a 20 she will certainly fly along fine, and I've seen many with smaller OB still plane.
Might be a tad slow for someone with your experience although more than fast enough for me.
I'm also guessing you plan to pack away?
If you can live with the V floor,or plan to adapt them, then I doubt there is much better.
Old 03 July 2024, 09:29   #6

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Honda BF15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hordec View Post
Hello! I am planning on purchasing my first SIB (downsizing from 20ft cruiser) and I intend on going down the Honwave T38 route, coupled up with a 20hp. The main thing holding me back from pulling the trigger is could going alone in a larger sized SIB be a burden for getting on the plane? I intend on doing some offshore fishing and some distance along the coast as close to full speed as possible.

I'm an RNLI D class Helmsman (which is basically a big SIB!) and Commercial high speed craft skipper, not a newbie 😀

Thanks for your help!
You probably have more experience than all of us combined, but I would say it's a superior boat to my Yamaha 3.8 of the same size and I'm able to plane along with as little as an 8HP motor so you'll have power in abundance with a 20HP. The fuel tank is strapped closer to the bow on the T38 than on my Yam so it's weight is better distributed. You didn't mention if it was 2 or 4 stroke, but with a lightweight 20HP especially, on there it'll be a flier.
Old 03 July 2024, 16:43   #7

Make: Honwave
Engine: 20hp
Very helpful replies guys that is great news! I guess my main concern would have been the bow riding too far up and trying to kiss the sky - but it seems like these boats are very well planted providing it'll be done safely and not over 2 meter waves head into the wind with a 60hp on the transom. Thanks again guys great to hear so much positivity about these boats.
Hordec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sib