Old 25 June 2013, 19:02   #1

launching problems Honwave 3.8 15hp

I'm new to the forums so first off names James im 23 and from Bristol
So my issue is im going to take my Honwave 3.8 air deck with a 15hp Honda outboard to the coast for the first time and with money being a bit tight, a trailer is off the agenda, Honda launching wheels are £200 and a foldup style launching trailer is about £75-£100. So how do I get my boat down the launching ramp with such a heavy outboard without a trailer? If need be I will bite the bullet and buy the launching wheels as this is a way of me fitting the outboard to the boat on the ground then reversing the boat in with my mate sat in ready to tilt the outboard down to take control. My cheaper option is buying one of these foldup lanching trailers but I've never seen one used, or used a launching ramp so im not sure if this is going to be a safe way of doing it without damaging the air floor on the boat? As I have to fit the outboard before launching into the water I dont know if it will take the weight and I suppose you have to have someone in the boat once you launch? Or is there usually a ladder near by enabling me to pull the boat in deeper with some rope and climb in once the boats in the water? I dont have these problems when I use my boat up the Avon river as theres somewhere we can lower the boat in and pass the engine onto the boat whilst its roped tight to the bank, and even thats a struggle fitting the outboard due to the weight of it.
Old 25 June 2013, 19:07   #2

Oops.. there called slipways I believe? Just shows how little experience I have with all this. Any advice much appreciated!
Old 25 June 2013, 19:47   #3

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
I use a folding launching trolley with a selections of sibs, including a HonWave T32. It works really well, and I find it easier than buying or swapping transom wheels every time I change the boat (Which is a lot ). Make sure you choose one that is long enough for your sib.

A lot of your other questions depend on which slipway you are using, they are all different. Slipway etiquette is important, make sure you get on and off as quick as you can, messing about on the slipway stopping others from launching or recovering drives people mad.

1. Prep the boat fully before you go near the slip, put the engine on and load all your gear.

2. Roll the boat down the slipway and hold on to the bow line, keep going until the boat floats off the trailer. Pull the boat back to the slipway and leave there till you get rid of the trailer (as quickly as possible).

3. Go out and enjoy yourself

A couple of things since you seem to be quite new this, a little training goes a long way on the sea. Pick a sheltered area to practice and make sure you have all the basic safety gear. Things change quickly on the sea so check the the forecast carefully.

If you tell us which slipway you plan to use I'm sure someone will give you local info about landing stages , pontoons or ladders you can use.
Old 25 June 2013, 19:56   #4

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: ribbit
Make: ring
Length: 6m +
Engine: opti 150
welcome james
launch wheels i would have to say are the prefered method ,if you travel to a beach you can just drop down your wheels and pull her out

i`m guessing that honwaves have that step at the back ruling out cheaper generic brands ?

if the boat can take the outboard planing i`m guessing that it can take the engine weight on launch wheels

read through the forums on safety kit ...life jacket ,kill cords etc

be safe have fun
Old 25 June 2013, 20:12   #5

Town: Bristol
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 60 outboard
Hi James,

One piece of advice is to go out with someone else, especially for your first time.

Why not try Bristol docks to get used to the boat prior to the sea.

Am local and use the south coast allot. Watch the tides if you think burnham!
Old 25 June 2013, 20:45   #6

Wow thanks for all the advice guys. I have some lifejackets on the way and have quite a bit of experience on the river and have been out on the coast on my old smaller inflatable(2.5 meter roughly I think) with a 6hp outboard, but that was a 2 stroke and a hell of a lot lighter so with the sea being calm one of us literally walked it out from the beach as the other held the boat in the water, a totally different ball game! Bingosucks; Yes only the hondas own launch wheels fit and I would love a set ideally. Landlockedpirate do you have a picture of the launch trailer you use so I could compare it to the one I have in mind? I shall take it careful and the slipway im using is the one at Eype, Dorset. West Bay I think. If anyone knows it?
Old 25 June 2013, 21:15   #7

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
I have a couple, small one for my tender sibs and a bigger one for the current futura.

This is the bigger one :

LARGE Folding Launching Trolley Dinghy inflatable Boat Launch Max 16' Boat 200Kg | eBay

If you look round the internet you can usually find it cheaper. If you are trying to get the best value and are OK at DIY its fairly easy to extend the smallest version with bits from B&Q
Old 25 June 2013, 23:35   #8

Town: Wrexham
Length: 3m +
Hello mate

If you can park the car near by then it shouldn't cause too many problems if you and a friend carry the SIB down the slipway and then one of you stay with the SIB while the other carries the outboard down to attach it.

Assuming you're on about a 4 stroke outboard this is probably too heavy to carry on your own then yeah? I'd imagine you'd benefit from a small launch trolley in this case.

With a SIB I wouldn't recommend anyone sits in the boat while its being launched. I doubt the structure is strong enough for this regularly.
Old 26 June 2013, 06:59   #9

Town: Helston
Boat name: Myrtle
Make: Zodiac pro 500
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard 60hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by James1990 View Post
I'm new to the forums so first off names James im 23 and from Bristol
So my issue is im going to take my Honwave 3.8 air deck with a 15hp Honda outboard to the coast for the first time and with money being a bit tight, a trailer is off the agenda, Honda launching wheels are £200 and a foldup style launching trailer is about £75-£100. So how do I get my boat down the launching ramp with such a heavy outboard without a trailer? If need be I will bite the bullet and buy the launching wheels as this is a way of me fitting the outboard to the boat on the ground then reversing the boat in with my mate sat in ready to tilt the outboard down to take control. My cheaper option is buying one of these foldup lanching trailers but I've never seen one used, or used a launching ramp so im not sure if this is going to be a safe way of doing it without damaging the air floor on the boat? As I have to fit the outboard before launching into the water I dont know if it will take the weight and I suppose you have to have someone in the boat once you launch? Or is there usually a ladder near by enabling me to pull the boat in deeper with some rope and climb in once the boats in the water? I dont have these problems when I use my boat up the Avon river as theres somewhere we can lower the boat in and pass the engine onto the boat whilst its roped tight to the bank, and even thats a struggle fitting the outboard due to the weight of it.
Hi I have a fold up launching trolley in my shed which I have used twice and I used it to launch my 3.8 Honwave. I had a Honda 20 on mine and it was interesting getting it all in a hatchback.
If you would like it for £50 let me know. From memory it cost £125 and is heavy duty. The wheels are removable and the trolley folds down neatly.
Old 27 June 2013, 07:20   #10

Yes its a four stroke Rich. Adamn I am interested so have pm you my contact details.
Old 27 June 2013, 09:10   #11

Town: Wirral
Boat name: Tigger
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Launching wheelset

Hi
I have exactly what you are looking for!
Check out my AD in 'classifieds'...'bits and pieces'...'launching wheelset'
....PM me for more details and pictures
Old 27 June 2013, 09:23   #12

They must be Honda launching wheels as stated earlier in thread, thanks anyway dude.
Old 27 June 2013, 10:00   #13

Town: Helston
Boat name: Myrtle
Make: Zodiac pro 500
Engine: Outboard 60hp
Hi here are a few pictures of the launch trolley I used with my Honwave 3.8
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-519312525.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	82032   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4003092740.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	82033   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1706595263.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	82034   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1199594778.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	82035  
Old 03 July 2013, 11:03   #14

One more issue....insurance...I have had a quote for insurance and it came to roughly 90quid third party for the year, I only need it to use slipway and for the day so im planning to cancel it after and they said that would just charge me small admin fee plus the amount of days I had the policy. Has anyone else done this or know an easier option I.e day insurance? As I dont need it on the Avon and its only this once or possibly twice I will visit the coast during the sunmer.
Old 03 July 2013, 12:08   #15

Town: North wales
Make: Europa Sport
Engine: Johnson 25
I have just insured my new 3.8m with the 25hp from craftinsure.com for just under £50... and for that amount you may as well let it run even after your trip out. Just in case you ever mess someone up with the prop or even hit another boat. Plus it builds up your no claims bonus for the next outing
Old 03 July 2013, 12:16   #16

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossymtb View Post
I have just insured my new 3.8m with the 25hp from craftinsure.com for just under £50... and for that amount you may as well let it run even after your trip out. Just in case you ever mess someone up with the prop or even hit another boat. Plus it builds up your no claims bonus for the next outing
+1 . use same for my 3.8 & 25hp - they are a good home to insure small things

And if the worst happened or it got nicked its a lot of peace of mind too.
Old 03 July 2013, 12:59   #17

Town: Wirral
Boat name: Tigger
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: Suzuki DF140
My policy has just expired with 'bluefin'
3.8 Aerotec/15hp............£42 for the past year
peanuts for reassurance
Old 03 July 2013, 13:21   #18

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Same as above, I think 'Craftinsure' has always been the favoured SIB brokers on here - just renewed mine (3.4m Twat 9.8) at £42.
Old 03 July 2013, 19:53   #19

Town: Exeter
Make: Highfield
Engine: Honda BF90
Hi James and welcome. Have you ever thought about launching from Lyme? Sheltered harbour and wide, shallow slipway makes it easy ( when the tide is in) and you can park at the top of the slip while inflating/assembling the lauching trolley. Pm if you want more info...
Old 04 July 2013, 15:15   #20

Wow brilliant I shall be calling them up first thing tomorrow! Well im staying at highlands end campsite, just wanted a beach close to that our girlfriends can chill out on whilst we go out to have a bit of fun and enjoy this glorious sun were due! I think I have been to Lyme Regis, how much further is it?