Town: CHELMSFORD
Boat name: Honwave
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: 9.8hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235923173
Leaving a SIB in a marina overnight

Hi,

Does anyone leave a SIB overnight in a marina? The security at marinas near me seems good but a SIB seems so easy to steal.
Old 19 July 2020, 08:09   #2

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by essex View Post
Hi,

Does anyone leave a SIB overnight in a marina? The security at marinas near me seems good but a SIB seems so easy to steal.
For me it all would depend on the Marina...public i.e open access are often a no no...with a small easily lifted outboard and or SIB.
However most Private concerns have access like North Korea with plenty of Cameras and combination coded gates barriers ect...The security is designed for VERY! expensive Boats and Kit with well healed Clientele
I used them plenty of times Sibbing with the a young family in the past on extended stays on the South Coast....For me in certain cercumstances it's well worth paying a little more for peace of mind and most of all ease!...for overnight Birthing
..Although one of the main advantages of smallish SIBS is ease of launching and recovery...either way always make sure you have good up to date insurance that suits you're needs ...take all precautions you can ...and then relaxe and enjoy!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2020, 08:53   #3

There are basically two ways to nick a SIB from a marina.

Drive it somewhere. Or take it out the water.

Drive it... No difference to any other boat except the somewhere might mean taking it out the water is easier. Just make it hard to drive... No kill cord would be a good start for the idiot joy rider. Fuel? Lock? Etc

While it is "easy" to take out the water... It's not quick. Perhaps if you have a big enough can you can just put the whole thing in. Otherwise you are removing engine, deflating, rolling up, lugging a heavy thing. It's not 30seconds. Done roughly it's probably 5 minutes. And for what. A boat that should sell second hand for probably <£2k, is not in its bag, is big, bulky and won't sell quickly without being obvious to the victim online

Seems quite high risk for the thief to me.
Old 19 July 2020, 09:41   #4

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Take a look around all the big boats sat in the marinas with sibs and small ribs as tenders on the back. Many with no security at all and not many get stolen. If your realy concerned put a lock and chain through a mooring cleat through the elephants trunk and lock it to the engine . You just need to make it harder than the next boat to steal and they move onto the next target of which there are usually plenty sat unsecured in the average marina
Old 19 July 2020, 10:32   #5

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Assuming the engine is already locked to the boat. Remove all the easily stealable items, oars and fuel tank. Next, although frowned on by many, I would use a 5m 'Python' type lock through the engine and a boat fixing and secure it to the berth. Force them to look next door for an easier target.
Old 19 July 2020, 12:13   #6
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I just take the electronics off our SIB and have a scruffy tie-on outboard cover and a very tatty canvas bag thing that goes over the raised OB leg. Above that make sure your insurance covers moored on tidal waters and don't worry any further.
Old 20 July 2020, 21:05   #7

Town: CHELMSFORD
Boat name: Honwave
Make: Honwave
Engine: 9.8hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235923173
Thanks for the replies. When I was packing my boat away on penthook marina on the Thames last Saturday I was wondering why I didnt leave it in the marina and go back Sunday for another trip, especially when I saw the nightime security guards patrolling.
If someone deflated by sib its about as noisy as an alarm!

Tags
sib