Old 24 August 2023, 20:04   #1

Town: Somerset
Make: Takacat
Length: 3m +
Low bridges

Having seen a good weather forecast yesterday, I planned a trip to Poole for a trip round the harbour. All loaded up and ready for my second outing with the new trailer, off I set. A few miles from home, I met an unexpected road closure( if only I’d checked for it online before I set off!)
Not fancying bouncing around the back road, lengthy diversion( if you’ve travelled on some of the Somerset levels undulating tarmac, you’d know what I mean), I returned home, and changed my plans. I dumped my seagoing kit, and headed off to the local canal.
The Bridgwater canal is a little known and tranquil waterway. The only other boat I passed was the weed cutting boat, the driver happy to chat. I eventually met a carpet of freshly cut weed, slowly making its way downstream, but not keen on becoming engulfed in it, I turned around and headed back to the start point. I had a couple of hours of sunshine, wildlife and virtual solitude, travelling at walking pace.
The only challenge was a very low swing bridge, which gives access to an isolated pub. Feeling lazy, I didn’t feel inclined to tie up, unlock and open the bridge, and repeat the process on the way back. So approaching at dead slow, I crouched down in the cat, but my hand out to gauge the gap( and protect my ever vulnerable head from more damage), and crept through, clearing both head and outboard by a few inches!
A very calm, and relaxing day out, with just a few aches and pain after the contortion of an ageing body.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2274.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	143432
Old 25 August 2023, 17:42   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Can’t beat a slow relaxing day out well done resisting the pub.
Old 25 August 2023, 17:58   #3

Town: CHELMSFORD
Boat name: Honwave
Make: Honwave
Engine: 9.8hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235923173
When I had a hire boat on the Norfolk Broads there are bridges that you have to pay a pilot to take the boat under. Each year some people go through themselves when the river is too high and take the top of the boat off, which they are not covered by insurance because they didn't use the bridge pilot. Oops
Old 25 August 2023, 18:23   #4

If I’d gone in the pub, I’d never got under the bridge!
I’ve spent many hours on sea trips. It’s easy to forget that there is plenty of quieter water to explore, and chill out.
I still remember Potter Heigham bridge on the broads, on our first boating holiday, in the early seventies. We had some close scrapes.
Old 25 August 2023, 19:30   #5
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>Potter Heigham bridge on the broads

Around 1960 dad got mum to stand at the stern of our hire cruiser to film our impressive well judged sweep under said bridge on cine. The film was more of a classic than expected as the bridge pushed the stantions out of the deck both sides to conform with the shape of the arch. Thankfully grandad was a carpenter and repaired them to a standard the boatyard was happy with. The film was a family favourite until dad decided in the 80s no-one would be able to view cine and threw it out.
Old 25 August 2023, 20:19   #6

On that first trip, we managed to get the bow stuck in reed beds. I attempted to push us off using the boat hook, and succeeded in poking my eye on a reed ( requiring hospital visit)
Further minor shunts ensued, then we realised we had a gearbox failure, with loss of power to go astern. The boatyard came out to replace it. Happy days.
Old 28 August 2023, 07:48   #7

Town: Worcs-West Mids border
Boat name: .
Make: .
Engine: Suzuki 20HP EFI
I love your positivity:

You were prevented from getting to your original destination, almost swamped by weed, had to limbo below a low bridge (the undersurface of which I can only imagine was covered with all sorts of unsavoury stuff), and your conclusion is "a very calm and relaxing day out".

And, similarly, in #6, after piercing an eyeball and being rendered immobile, you say "Happy days"! Old Seahorse, I salute you! The glass is obviously always half full for you.

As an aside, I have a question regarding your trip: how do you actually get ON to a canal? (And off at the end?). I live close to some very pleasant canals but the water level everywhere is about a foot below the canal bank. I have transom wheels that I've used on beaches and slipways, but I can't see the logistics of lowering the boat a foot off a ledge (the boat/outboard combination weighs about 90 kg), and then later retrieving it. Do you use a lightweight electric motor?
Old 28 August 2023, 08:05   #8

Hi Trello. Thanks for your comments.
The canal in question is relatively short( about 15 miles approx), and has a slipway towards each end, which are ideal for small boats. It’s worth looking at the good launching guide ( there’s a link here in this forum), or asking around if you are close to any inland waterway. I suppose any location with good access and a clear bank with minimal drop into the water could be used for a sib. You might need to check it’s ok to do this with Canals and Rivers trust locally. Some rivers also have slipways too.
It does give you an option if you can’t get to the coast.
Old 28 August 2023, 08:07   #9

I don’t now have an electric outboard. I use a Suzuki 6 hp, but on canals a 2hp would be enough!
Old 28 August 2023, 08:12   #10

Yes, maybe an electric motor might be the way to go. I've a friend who has one - I'll borrow his and try it out.

I don't think I've ever seen a slipway onto a canal - but then, I've never been looking for one, so I may have missed them.
Old 28 August 2023, 14:53   #11

Trello, I’ve just found a slipway at Droitwich spa marina onto the canal. There may be others near you
Old 28 August 2023, 15:18   #12

Thanks, Old seahorse. Droitwich is actually very close, so I'll look that up.