Old 24 December 2021, 18:59   #1

Town: CHELMSFORD
Boat name: Honwave
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: 9.8hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235923173
Mobile phones

I usually go sibbing solo. I have a waterproof VHF on my life jacket that floats. I also have my mobile phone in a waterproof bag around my neck. I am not usually far out. If my VHF failed I don't know how easy it would be to use my smart phone in the water. I have seen someone on "saving lives at sea" who used one successfuly. I've seen waterproof IP68 button (not touch screen) waterproof phones on eBay for £35. While I don't think I will get one these seem a good budget item to keep on you, although it's another thing to keep charged up before you go out. Just putting the idea out there
Old 24 December 2021, 22:23   #2

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
waterproof VHF from major brands are pretty reliable.
I'd just get a good waterproof pouch e.g. Overboard for my phone as back up. They work well.
Old 25 December 2021, 13:07   #3
Spammer

Most modern smartphones are waterproof.

I thrown mine in a ziplock bag ad try not use it.

Being on the water is one of the few times I get to "disconnect"
Old 25 December 2021, 13:10   #4
Spammer

Merry Christmas Everyone

Hope everyone's having a good holiday
Old 26 December 2021, 09:03   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I’m not sure anyone has actually answered the OP’s question.

Carrying a different phone just for 999 at sea has some appeal - it lets you still remain “disconnected” and an old school phone with buttons feels like it should be more robust to the environment. BUT at £35 on eBay I’m guessing there is no major brand back up and if it fails after 10 mins in the sea you’ll have no comeback.

I think the other downsides of this approach are - presumably another SIM card which needs used once a quarter to keep it alive (different providers have different rules); another thing to keep charged (possibly with a different connector!); as a backup a smartphone can also provide spare gps - a dumb phone won’t - which also means if you are swimming in the sea with a dead vhf you are relying on describing your location to CG (with a smartphone they can text you a link which gets them GPS position, assuming you can work the screen through the bag, which you can test).

I guess if you really want a very robust tool for MOB alone then a PLB would be the gold standard, at least one person on this forum is alive because of that. However, I suspect you are already far better prepared than most with a h/h vhf and a waterproof(ed) phone.
Old 26 December 2021, 13:21   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by essex View Post
If my VHF failed I don't know how easy it would be to use my smart phone in the water.
Why not try using the mobile in its waterproof case under "test conditions" ?
If you have a dry / wet suit why not get into swimming depth water and try to make a call.

Two further thoughts:
would it be worth having 999 or 122 set as a speed dial so to minimise the button pushes required?

How is your password set on the phone - if it's a thumbprint or finger trace, it might not work.

If really worried about VHF failure, I'd invest in a back up VHF, not a back up phone.
Old 26 December 2021, 13:31   #7

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by essex View Post
I usually go sibbing solo. I have a waterproof VHF on my life jacket that floats. I also have my mobile phone in a waterproof bag around my neck. I am not usually far out. If my VHF failed I don't know how easy it would be to use my smart phone in the water. I have seen someone on "saving lives at sea" who used one successfuly. I've seen waterproof IP68 button (not touch screen) waterproof phones on eBay for £35. While I don't think I will get one these seem a good budget item to keep on you, although it's another thing to keep charged up before you go out. Just putting the idea out there
Personally as well as other methods of communication i have a set of after shokz bone conduction headphones which ar ip67 ,they are linked by bluetooth to your mobile (which you can have under your drysuit or in your waterproof pouch ) by hitting the button twice you get last number redial so if you make sure before bagging your mobile the number is to someone who can help or get help and it can just be another possibility !
Old 26 December 2021, 13:36   #8

I have an £80 waterproof smart phone as a boat phone. Bought to use camera and some apps (dinghy racing app). Have since added a Giffgaff SIM. Only need to make a call every 4 months.

Works when wet.

Fingerprint activation always reverts to pin if the sensor doesn't like what it sees. No need to unlock to make 999 call. Simply slide the bottom corner across the screen and the dialer opens.

I can get 5+ days out of it chucked in the car without needing to recharge.

It doesn't float.

It does work with a wet screen.

Poly is right - my backup if it breaks is not likely to be good. If that's backup afloat... I'm not expecting iPhone to send a drone with a replacement so I can make a 999 call.

How much quicker would a pre-programmed key be - I'm not sure! I suspect if I'm now to difference between 999 and a programmed key - I'd want more options !!
Old 26 December 2021, 16:48   #9

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
iPhone in a waterproof case works but can be tough to hear be heard but if your in trouble a PLB/EPIRB might be a better option a phone is handy that you can call multiple numbers (if you know them) but if your injured or unconscious won’t be much help

My back up is another person with vhf/phone/flares if I am in able to use mine my hope is that they use theirs !
Old 26 December 2021, 22:08   #10

Town: CHELMSFORD
Boat name: Honwave
Make: Honwave
Engine: 9.8hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235923173
Thanks for the replies. While a touch botton waterproof back up phone seemed a good idea: the fact that it doesnt float, you need to keep it charged and make sure the phone/ sim works puts me off it.
I have done phone calls with my phone in its waterproof bag. While the waterproof bag can be fiddly when dry and more so when wet it is usable.
Yes I should try it in the water. I should also try getting back in my sib when out with a friend.
The bluetooth headphones are interesting food for thought.
When I bought my phone bag I did the test where you put some tissue in it and put it in a bowl of water for 30 mins to check its waterproof I havent done it since. I should do this more regularly to check the phone bag remains waterproof.
Its quite shallow in Essex so if all else fails I can wade back to shore.
Old 30 December 2021, 08:15   #11
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post

If really worried about VHF failure, I'd invest in a back up VHF, not a back up phone.

That would provide no redundancy against being in a vhf black spot.
Old 30 December 2021, 08:49   #12

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Oddly enough I carry a separate 'boat phone'. Its an old style, waterproof, drop proof thing i bought off ebay for not a lot. It holds charge for days when switched on and months when switched off.

The main reason for it was the ability to use a @Manx' sim card. We use these in the fire service and so far I've not found a black spot ion the areas I use (SW). Being deemed a foreign carrier it'll jump to any supplier. I suspect there will be some about, just not down here.

Useful in an emergency, really useful to order the fish and chips or pasty

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2021, 09:32   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
That would provide no redundancy against being in a vhf black spot.
And carrying a spare mobile wouldn't give redundancy about being in a mobile phone black spot or out of coverage, which is probably more likely at sea. The OP was wanting back up in case VHF failed - which I interpreted the set being broken.
Old 30 December 2021, 22:47   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post

The main reason for it was the ability to use a @Manx' sim card.

Useful in an emergency, really useful to order the fish and chips or pasty
Just as a FYI - as long as there is a valid SIM you can use it on any network to call 999/112 - it will Roam for that for you.

But clearly if you actually want to call a mate to give you a tow or lend you 5l of petrol -. The Manx solution is rather neat.
Old 30 December 2021, 23:14   #15
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Just regarding the chinese cheapies-I've got a Doogee s60 rugged phone that's properly waterproof. I've had it over 4 years now and it's taken more than it should have done, including being used to film underwater.

Touchscreens still aren't great when wet though.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote