Old 30 June 2024, 18:10   #1

New Boater

Hi All!

I’ve got my RYA LEVEL 2, I am looking for my first sib.

It will just be used for lakes mainly however I do want to take it off the coast of wales as well.

It maybe 3 adults max and a dog on the boat. I have seen a few but just wondering if anyone had any reccomendations? Looking 2k max.

I did see a Zakacat 3m with a 9.8hp tohatsu 4 stroke and was wondering if this would be suitable?

I’ll be carrying this around in a camper so size / weight is imporant as well!

Thanks
Old 30 June 2024, 18:33   #2

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF15
3 and a dog would be a bit snug in a 3 metre boat but it could depend on what you're using it for. Keep in mind you'll need to accommodate the fuel tank and any supplies you want to bring also. Ideally you'll want a bit bigger and given that you need it to be compact too, an air floor boat would probably be the ticket. They fold much neater than ply/aluminium floor boats and they're easier to set up.

The Honwave's are very good boats and there are 3.2 and 3.8m versions with air floors. Here's a good example. https://boatworld.co.uk/honwave-t38-...nflatable-boat
Old 30 June 2024, 18:50   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by User name View Post
3 and a dog would be a bit snug in a 3 metre boat but it could depend on what you're using it for. Keep in mind you'll need to accommodate the fuel tank and any supplies you want to bring also. Ideally you'll want a bit bigger and given that you need it to be compact too, an air floor boat would probably be the ticket. They fold much neater than ply/aluminium floor boats and they're easier to set up.

The Honwave's are very good boats and there are 3.2 and 3.8m versions with air floors. Here's a good example. https://boatworld.co.uk/honwave-t38-...nflatable-boat

Looks nice but a bit out of budget, what engine would you look at for a 3.2? Would 9.8 be sufficient for what I am wanting it for or look at something a bit more powerful?
Old 30 June 2024, 18:51   #4

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I too would say look at Boatworld, all of the models, as they have probably the biggest SIB selection on one website. All shapes, sizes and floor types. Even if you don'y buy new get your eye in with what's available.

Is it £2k for just the SIB or whole outfit?

Like UN I reckon 3m for three plus dog would be super snug. Probably acceptable on calm lakes but not reassuring at sea.

Is it a Takacat you've seen and would that be an open bow model. If so in my opinion more suited to hooning around 2-up rather than carrying a maximum load of folks.

Re engine size yes you'd want more than a 9.8 if you want to be able to reliably plane with that load.
Old 30 June 2024, 19:08   #5

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Welcome to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berno99 View Post
Looks nice but a bit out of budget, what engine would you look at for a 3.2? Would 9.8 be sufficient for what I am wanting it for or look at something a bit more powerful?
If it were me I would look to buy a used boat and motor to stretch the budget. There are many that are purchased and hardly ever used.

The question on which motor should come down to what you can comfortably lift as outboards are awkward with few hand holds. Personally I wouldn't go less than 9.9hp, and there are ways to manipulate a larger motor without lifting it's entire weight. A crane could easily lift a...

A good set of transom wheels are worth their weight. For a small boat I like https://www.beachmaster.com/

If going out on the ocean you should have a floating handheld radio, preferably with DSC. Lifejackets are required to be on a boat and if you plan to wear them, a self inflating collar type is best.
Old 30 June 2024, 19:22   #6

Thanks all!

It would be around 2k all in, used is fine as well!

Wouldn’t want it too big as it needs to fit in the van along with a load of other stuff!
Old 30 June 2024, 19:31   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
Lifejackets are required to be on a boat and if you plan to wear them, a self inflating collar type is best.
All good advice in that post, but just for the record, the UK has an issue with boating that I can only compare with gun laws in the US. Basically in the UK you can own any damn boat you want and go pretty much anywhere you like in saltwater, without any qualifications, insurance, experience, lifejackets, safety equipment, testing or checks. If you are completely ratshit drunk in command, someone MIGHT intervene - I'm not quite sure who? It's potentially not ideal, but for the most part, you'll have to wrench that privilege from their cold dead fingers....
Old 30 June 2024, 22:13   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
~you'll have to wrench that privilege from their cold dead fingers....
Darwin Awards accepts the challenge

Our boating laws are stricter than many of our gun laws Probably no need to discuss the throw cushion that must be on deck for 5m+ boats then?
Old 30 June 2024, 22:30   #9
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
Our boating laws are stricter than many of our gun laws
Youtube agrees with you. If it were arranged that the two systems would merge, basically it would be "Waterworld" a la Kevin Costner...
Old 01 July 2024, 15:46   #10

Town: Lancaster
Length: under 3m
My son has a T38 with a Johnson 15hp 2t for sale
Morecambe area
https://www.rib.net/forum/f21/honwav...tup-91028.html
Old 01 July 2024, 16:00   #11

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Quote:
Basically in the UK you can own any damn boat you want and go pretty much anywhere you like in saltwater, without any qualifications, insurance, experience, lifejackets, safety equipment, testing or checks.
Only up to a certain size though? If he ups his budget and ends up with a >24m Nordhavn or something, various rules and regs do then apply.

Clearly most of us won't ever have to worry about that size limit though!
Old 01 July 2024, 17:01   #12
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbrown22 View Post
Only up to a certain size though? If he ups his budget and ends up with a >24m Nordhavn or something, various rules and regs do then apply.
Well yes, but under 80GT and 24m it's the wild west. Rupert Holmes seems to revel in the fact that:

"We’re very lucky in the UK that a minimal amount of formal boating licencing, qualifications and other legal requirements are needed in order to operate a private pleasure craft. Much of this is due to the RYA, the national governing body for boating, which has successfully promoted a strong “educate not legislate” line to the UK government, including the Maritime and Coastguard Agency, since at least the 1970s."

FYI I'm not particularly invested/interested (despite holding an RYA commercially endorsed qualification) - I just find it amusing when explaining to those outside the system, that there isn't a system per se.

Old 01 July 2024, 19:07   #13

Been offered a Tobin sports 3.5m inflatable with a parson 15hp short shaft 4 stroke for £1800 - only a year old.

Any thoughts?
Old 01 July 2024, 20:06   #14

Town: Leicester
Make: Yam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berno99 View Post
Been offered a Tobin sports 3.5m inflatable with a parson 15hp short shaft 4 stroke for £1800 - only a year old.

Any thoughts?
Its not for me that outfit! The boat is from costco.

I've just seen this on ebay. This is a nice boat, mercury quicksilver, same as a honwave. Slightly more premium than a costco boat.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/226216878...Bk9SR57tk_6NZA

That leaves 1000-1300 to pick up a 15hp 2 stroke engine. I saw a nice 9.9 yam 2 stroke on ebay for 900 last week, but thats probably gone now, as it was a bit cheap
Old 01 July 2024, 20:09   #15

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Quote:
Well yes, but under 80GT and 24m it's the wild west. Rupert Holmes seems to revel in the fact that:

"We’re very lucky in the UK that a minimal amount of formal boating licencing, qualifications and other legal requirements are needed in order to operate a private pleasure craft. Much of this is due to the RYA, the national governing body for boating, which has successfully promoted a strong “educate not legislate” line to the UK government, including the Maritime and Coastguard Agency, since at least the 1970s."

FYI I'm not particularly invested/interested (despite holding an RYA commercially endorsed qualification) - I just find it amusing when explaining to those outside the system, that there isn't a system per se.

Agreed!
Old 01 July 2024, 20:14   #16

Town: Leicester
Make: Yam
Not mine, but looks tidy. This is the same as the 15hp motor. I'd rather go to sea with this than a 4 stroke parson

Old 01 July 2024, 21:40   #17

There can be a long discussion of 2 stroke vs 4 stroke, and they both have their benefits. For many of us who are like me, I just couldn't couldn't imagine going back to a motor that pollutes in the waters I dive and swim in. That slight sheen of oil on the water from a cold start and warm up is down right embarrassing. 4 strokes may be heavier, but they use less fuel, run smoother, start better, they are quieter, parts will be available for a longer term, and also very important, THEY DON'T STINK NOR BLOW CLOUDS OF SMOKE!
Old 01 July 2024, 22:29   #18

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
My concern with that 15hp Parson is the weight. I reckon it would be 50kg. Most of us would regard that as too much to be truly manageable without being on a trailed setup.
Old Yesterday, 19:54   #19

Town: Grimsby
Boat name: Honda
Make: Honda marine
Engine: Outboard
The Tobin is a great little boat i bought mine last year on offer for 360 quid. I bought it for rivers and to use on my own in the sea due to its lightweight. I also have a T38 but they are heavy to lump around on your own and the tobin can be carried easily. I have had 2 adults 2 kids and the dog in mine and its just big enough. I use a 15hp 2 stroke with mine, nothing wrong with Parsuns but i agree with the comments about the weight 50kg is a right lump and gets old quick. Only real negative i have with the Tobin is it is a bit of a wet boat missing the raised bow of the Honwaves so you get a bit wet, but at the price point fantastic.
Old Yesterday, 22:14   #20

Been doing my research, found a 15hp Mercury, 2 stroke, short. good condition serviced in March for 950.

Does that sound right?