Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs
Click Here to Login

Old 02 June 2021, 08:02   #1

Length: 3m +
New member - which boat? Elling vs Honwave vs F-RIB

Hi everyone,
I just joined today to get some advice. I have been reading through the forum posts and know I have joined the right community!

I am currently kayak fishing, but am now considering a boat. So I am hoping for some advice on what you’d recommend.

My boat requirements are as follows:
2 people with small amount of fishing gear (main requirement is two of us fishing) or up to 4 people for a blast along the coast for fun (only gear will be safety equipment, so no fishing tackle)

Must be able to beach launch on a sloping shingle beach (Worthing beach) with 2 people and could be launched solo from a boat ramp.

Must be able to fit it in the boot of an estate car as I do not want a trailer hanging about at home so it will be pumped up and deflated when needed.

I am considering the following options:
Honwave T38 IE Air V-floor
Elling KB 350 air floor
F-RIB 360
Boatworld 390 fisher pro red

The Elling is my first choice I think, followed by the F-RIB. Cost does not bother me so much as the weight as if I find it a struggle to launch, I doubt it will get much use! Hence the boatworld one is last place as it is 68 kilos without the outboard, just threw it in to see what your thoughts are.

I have been advised that a 10hp outboard is a good choice for the Honwave and Elling (apparently 15hp would be too much for the Elling).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Rod
Old 02 June 2021, 09:49   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Hi Rod and welcome to the forum.

For your stated use I'd take the 390 Fisher pro out of the equation as despite its great value for size the weight and faff of setting up the alloy floor will get frustrating.

Of the other three the Howave T38 will probably feel the most roomy and substantial.... particularly 4 up which may feel tight in the others. Bear in mind that certain combos of outboard and load with a T38 can give rise to a feeling like clutch slip on a car... where the prop loses grip from time to time. Nearly impossible to predict if you will experience it.

The Frib while a worthy boat is so expensive... £1600 more than the Elling... can it really be worth that unless it meets an exceptionally specific need? Also the Frib packs up into quite a large and inflexible shape re fitting in the car.

The Elling is going to be the easiest of them all to manage in the car and set up then launch... it's brilliant in that respect. The Elling is the only one I'd say is guaranteed to be acceptable with a 10hp 2-up. The Frib will probably want a 15hp and Honwave 15/20hp.

However put 4 adults in and the Elling will need a 15hp and even then might not be ideal... and the other two ideally need a 20hp 4-up.

Of course this year availability might be a deciding factor.
Old 02 June 2021, 10:29   #3

Thanks Fenlander.

I agree the fisher pro was a bit of a wildcard that I agree would be too much of a faff!

I read that about the Honwave and I am just worried that if I end up having that situation it will put me off, especially if it happens often (which I think another forum member had). Although as you say, it will be the most roomy of them. I would say that 4 up will be quite rare, it will mostly be two of us fishing.

My thought process on the F-RIB was that with a solid hull, it would be more forgiving if I accidentally 'came in hot' onto the shingle beach. For some reason my local beach can be flat as a pancake after about 10ft out, but have some breakers that will force you onto the shore pretty quickly. At high tide if you get out too early you will be up to your armpits 6ft from the shore as some parts shelve off very quickly. Would either the Honwave or the Elling have some forgiveness if they did wash up onto shingle? I think that is my main concern, damaging the hull somehow on the shingle. Looking at the packed size, the F-RIB will fit comfortably still in the boot, but noted about the inflexibility.

Noted on the horsepower, I spoke with boatworld and they said for the Elling that 15hp would be too much, but personally would have thought that having a bit more power (and not needing to use it) would bode well, I guess i've never used an outboard so i don't actually know how controllable it is. I haven't looked into weight difference between a 10hp and 15hp motor, as again I would prefer the lighter the better (although making sure I do get the right thing!), so if it needs to be 15, it needs to be 15, I don't want to buy twice.

I think most things are sold out until July at the earliest, so i'm not in any rush, I think the Elling will be the one I go for as the flat deck may also be better for fishing from although I have absolutely no experience of it to back that up!

Thanks again and any other comments are very appreciated!
Old 02 June 2021, 12:12   #4

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Hi Rod, IMO I don't think any SIB performs particularly well with 4 adults on board, even with more HP. If your on the tiller with 4 on board, it's heavy going and not particularly enjoyable. However if you do need to be able to carry 4 adults anything below 3.6 will be tight for space, fishing gear or not! So if you will regularly carry 4, I would advise you go as big as you can physically manage just for comfort and practicality.
4 up in a T38 will be very slow with a 10hp. Minimum I'd be looking at is a 15hp but as that weighs in the same as a 20hp for not much more cost that's what I'd be looking at (availability not withstanding)
Good initial reports on the Elling, build quality, weight and performance 1 - 2 up with sub 10hp OB. I am eagerly awaiting a full in depth review of "Mr & Mrs F and their dog go to sea"
Not read or seen anything about 4 up in an Elling either with a 10 or a 15, but I would tend to think space would be limited.
One other option to consider would be the Excel Volaire 390, space, flat deck, performance but the big downside is weight which rules it out for most.
I have found that everything in SIB world is a compromise. I'd list your priorities in rank order, and go for the SIB that matches your top priorities the closest, then check availability!

Good luck in your search.
Old 02 June 2021, 12:34   #5

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Everyone is different, I think for me it would be a tough call between the Elling (actually 3.6m) and F-rib. The F-rib should hold its value more and the rigid hull means 10hp will do a lot better than if it were on the Elling. It's a big weight penalty going above 10hp unless you are prepared to get a secondhand two stroke. Like Fenlander I've had my fill of heavy SIB's (first and last lol) and heavy weight is not now a compromise I would accept.

If cost isn't a main factor and you feel ok about the F-rib's folded bulk then that could well be the way to go. It ought to have more buoyancy than the Elling which will help when four-up. It would certainly have the rigidity and handle better, plane more easily etc. Sharp objects or glass/flinty rock won't really affect the F-rib whereas the Elling might get sliced?

The F-rib's rigid hull will however be less comfortable in certain chops than the Elling whose keel will provide a degree of bounce and cushion. Otherwise the F-rib will outperform it in every way. Both boats are extremely good looking. Not sure which would be the drier boat, possibly the F-rib will deflect the wet stuff better. Need some owner feedback here.
Old 02 June 2021, 13:39   #6
RIBnet admin team

I'm sorry to do this LimeCC but I like stuff we tell newbies to be accurate.

Re buoyancy... The Elling has tubes 10cm greater than the Frib plus added buoyancy from the air mat floor and keel compared to the Frib GRP hull... hence the Elling is rated 100kg greater load capacity than a 360 Frib.

Re speed with a 10hp... A main attraction of the Elling is excellent speeds with smaller outboards which is also an attribute of the Frib. There are no reliable comparative figures out there so I'd just take it they would both be far better with a 10hp than more conventional sibs but we don't know which is better.

As you state the Frib is known to be harsh in a chop... take your teeth out one experienced user said. Given the fact that we see choppy conditions around the UK so much it may be the ability of the Elling... should its ride be a lot softer... to keep the pilot more comfortable gives it the potential for a greater all round performance.

When you've owned neither to say the Frib would outperform the Elling in every way perhaps apart from comfort in a chop is too sweeping a statement.

Finally re retained value the Frib is less common used than say a Honwave but they are seen more on the used market than Ellings which rightly or not are flavour of the year and near impossible to find once each new batch sells out. So they are both desirable on the used market but there is nothing to say the Frib would lose less of its very high price than an Elling where I suspect at the moment one little used and as new might fetch very close new price.

So we need loads more user experience of both to form concrete opinions.
Old 02 June 2021, 13:52   #7
RIBnet admin team

>>> eagerly awaiting a full in depth review of "Mr & Mrs F and their dog go to sea"

Eagerly awaiting the trip out to supply the data. Unfortunately the new battle bus has distracted... major DIY service, interior clean and leather treatment, new main battery later today, alarm siren to investigate and replace, new tire pump/sealant kit, load space mat and carpet mats in the rest, aircon routine re-gas later today, sitting in it playing music DVDs on the media screen (a first for me).... and so it goes on.
Old 02 June 2021, 14:01   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
I'm sorry to do this LimeCC but I like stuff we tell newbies to be accurate.

Re buoyancy... The Elling has tubes 10cm greater than the Frib plus added buoyancy from the air mat floor and keel compared to the Frib GRP hull... hence the Elling is rated 100kg greater load capacity than a 360 Frib.
I'm happy to be corrected.
I was thinking possibly a greater wetted area but didn't look up the specs.

It's unlikely you'll get anyone who has owned both to do a direct comparison. Donny quite likes his F-rib and can compare to a non-Elling soft hull. Rigid hulls will always be slippier and the Elling is kind of blunt at the bow. How much is marketing hype? Who knows? You'll find out.
Old 02 June 2021, 15:36   #9

Thank you Steve, Limecc and Fenlander, I really appreciate the constructive feedback.

It is interesting to see the points of view and I understand that the issue of 2 people fishing vs 4 people on a little spin seems to be a particular issue, especially fitting people in, and then requiring more hp on the OB to push it along!

I think that the 4 person 'jollies' will be a rare occurrence (indeed I neglected to say that it would actually most like be two adults and two children - my bad as I appreciate that will make a big difference!), so it is looking like the Elling is winning in my mind at the moment.

For me the ability of two people being able to fish, getting out to the marks at a decent pace and it all being light enough to manage in and out of the car are the key points (and be able to store away in the garage). We have a wreck 1.5 miles out off the pier that i would like to explore!

I think I am down to the 2 options now - An Elling with a 10hp OB, or a Honwave T38 with a 15/20hp OB, which I think would be similar(ish) costs new.

Just one thing, I am still unsure of how to retrieve the boat on a steepish shingle beach, I have watched videos about nicely stepping out of the boat before it hits the shore after lowering the transom wheels, but in certain conditions to get close enough to step off the boat (and not disappear under water) I would be right in the breaking waves/surf zone which will push the boat onto shore. So I am wondering about the durability of the air floor/tubes if they get pushed up onto a shingle beach by a wave, will it adversely damage the boat? (I literally just go full pelt onto the shore with the kayak then do a stylish little jump out - usually face first).

Cheers again! Rod
Old 02 June 2021, 16:01   #10

Quote:
>>> eagerly awaiting a full in depth review of "Mr & Mrs F and their dog go to sea"

Eagerly awaiting the trip out to supply the data. Unfortunately the new battle bus has distracted... major DIY service, interior clean and leather treatment, new main battery later today, alarm siren to investigate and replace, new tire pump/sealant kit, load space mat and carpet mats in the rest, aircon routine re-gas later today, sitting in it playing music DVDs on the media screen (a first for me).... and so it goes on.

Shall be thinking about you this weekend working on the truck, whilst I'm splashing about in the water
Old 02 June 2021, 18:54   #11
RIBnet admin team

You are very welcome to enjoy yourself while I have short term vehicle work. Strangely since the start of the pandemic the SIB section here has been pretty busy which is great to see....and the times I can't get out it's great to hears others have managed it.
Old 02 June 2021, 18:56   #12
RIBnet admin team

>>>happy to be corrected.

Thanks... it all adds to the conversation and I would admit my SIB "facts" border on the nerdish... you should see my handwritten notes on specs etc!
Old 02 June 2021, 20:28   #13

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
New member - which boat? Elling vs Honwave vs F-RIB

Hi there, Boozyuk, and welcome to the forum.
Pretty cool shortlist, drop the heavy generic Chinese Boatworld 390 Fisher Pro and the rest are all good tbh. Not really much more to add past Fenlander’s well informed/highly regarded comments....but going to anyways.[emoji3]

Amongst many other sibs/ribs we have previously run an F-Rib 375, a Honwave T38 and very recently, an Elling KB350.

The F-Ribs give a competent, very fast and harsh ride. Tracks and corners well but slammy with the shallow ‘v’ hull and small dia. tubes, not a particularly dry ride. Super quick to inflate/deflate but a bulky/rigid shaped package when folded. Great fun though and popular for fishing with the hard deck.
Very expensive and non available this year on the grapevine.

The T38 is great value and probably offers the sportiest ride and most competent sea keeping of the three. It possibly offers the closest ride/performance available today to the legendary and sadly missed Aerotec 380. Fairly light, easy and quick set up for daily inflate gives a dry well damped ride in the chop thanks to its large dia. tubes, medium ‘v’ air floor and high shear rise. Tracks well and banks moderately in turns adding to its sporty feel. Quality issues re. keel alignment in recent years on previous model hopefully now sorted. ‘Mexican wave’ floor flexing problem usually attributed to under inflation.
Seem to be a few stocks arriving at dealers this year.

Only just recently acquired the Elling, and with only a few river hours under its belt, not really able to comment on any seakeeping prowess as yet. Bought primarily for use on the sea as a lightweight efficient hull able to provide good performance with smaller circa 10hp motors, yet potentially big enough for decent seakeeping in typical light swell and chop. Fairly confident it will prove to be a fast, lively yet fairly dry ride with its mahoosive 500mm dia. toobs and tunnel hull. Need to bear in mind these are essentially catamaran hulls so at planing speeds expect a fast but lively/ twitchy ride on the air cushion. As with any cat be ready to catch a bit of bow steering and the occasional mild semi submarining whilst pushing on particularly in smoothish lazy swell....best to keep bows light methinks and ride on the back third.
Need to get an order in sharpish for delivery this year...rumour is Elling are short of pvc tube fabric at the moment.

Motor wise four up go for 15/20hp (same weight generally) if you can on the F-Rib/T38....should still just plane on a good day and be real fun two up. Not sure with the Elling four up but reckon 15hp needed to plane, two up 10hp should be ok.

Although not recommending regular beaching on either sand or shingle, the grp hull will suffer gel coat chips/scratches. In some ways the soft hull sibs are more tolerant unless shingle is especially sharp. On the cat hulled Elling you could even fit rubbing strips under the sponsons...many cat’s come with these as standard.

Difficult to choose a favourite tbh and as all three are really good boats, then it doesn’t matter which. Assuming one will tick a few more boxes over the others for your typical usage.
Old 02 June 2021, 20:46   #14

Quote:
>>>happy to be corrected.

Thanks... it all adds to the conversation and I would admit my SIB "facts" border on the nerdish... you should see my handwritten notes on specs etc!
Agreed.

Looking at the rated capacity I was amazed that the F-rib is rated for 700kgs and the Elling 800kgs, one wonders if there is some specsmanship going on at times.

My much larger hard sided boat with 109kg/50hp engine only has a (conservatively?) rated capacity of 380kgs. My 390 Excel was rated for 6 persons yet has a lower weight capacity than the Elling despite having more surface area in the water. Who gets to decide if a SIB is overrated with 20hp or overloaded with 800kgs?

Tube diameter is another thing. At a Lymington campsite my Ocean Runner was parked next to my neighbour's Humber which had noticeably smaller diameter tubes. I'm sure the Humber was more seaworthy and buoyant, (having a greater beam and deeper V) but not that much extra length. The Ocean Runner's fat tubes noticeably impacted on the floor area inside.
Old 02 June 2021, 21:11   #15

Great info chipko, one to be stored in the memory bank.
Old 02 June 2021, 21:54   #16
RIBnet admin team

>>>best to keep bows light methinks and ride on the back third.

Might have to pull "her" seat back a bit then!
Old 02 June 2021, 22:14   #17

Quote:
>>>best to keep bows light methinks and ride on the back third.

Might have to pull "her" seat back a bit then!
Fen, you like living life on the edge!
Old 03 June 2021, 08:46   #18
RIBnet admin team

Well be fair.. gotta get the trim spot on.
Old 03 June 2021, 14:58   #19

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
I will just have to try this boat/outboard combination soon with the wife in the bow and report back.

yam on elling half tilt 2.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yam on elling half tilt 2.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	137603  
Old 03 June 2021, 16:32   #20
RIBnet admin team

That should nip along nicely... report eagerly awaited.

Tags
rib