Old 31 May 2023, 22:10   #61
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>What have you finally settled with after all these years?

It's the now discontinued Zodiac/Bombard 3.8m Aerotec. A niche lightweight air floor with the only true V floor shape of any SIB being a deep V continuing to the transom. For us it's given the softest and most reassuring ride of any SIB we've owned. It is quite narrow and the sloping floor inside doesn't suit everyone but the depth of the V means you feel secure in it not on it like some others.

BTW sorry about sideways pics... since changing to a Mac some of ours do this despite looking correct this end.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aerotec Goddy lock 0821.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	142774   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bombard Bengar.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	142775  
Old 01 June 2023, 05:24   #62

Town: Swansea
Boat name: X pro
Make: 3d tender
Engine: 30hp 4 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
If you add a console later you will find that your boat actually feels like a bigger boat. The difference between tiller steering & remotes on a console is night & day even on the same boat
So I thought about this in the future, only concern was losing space. I did consider one of those light weight ally consoles which take up no room at all. Definitely something I will look into though. Didn’t want to add too much more weight and lose on power but don’t think it would make much difference if I kept the console small. Cheers
Old 01 June 2023, 05:27   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>What have you finally settled with after all these years?

It's the now discontinued Zodiac/Bombard 3.8m Aerotec. A niche lightweight air floor with the only true V floor shape of any SIB being a deep V continuing to the transom. For us it's given the softest and most reassuring ride of any SIB we've owned. It is quite narrow and the sloping floor inside doesn't suit everyone but the depth of the V means you feel secure in it not on it like some others.

BTW sorry about sideways pics... since changing to a Mac some of ours do this despite looking correct this end.
Very nice and VERY clean. Love the wooden oars. Vintage look to it. Bet that goes very well. That’s one thing I noticed with the rib which looks very similar to that is how the bow pulls in and upwards making it a lot more sea-dynamic (is that a word? If not it is now) very nice ride on that I bet.
Old 01 June 2023, 08:10   #64

Town: Worcs-West Mids border
Boat name: .
Make: .
Engine: Suzuki 20HP EFI
I, too, noticed and admired the wooden oars - a very distinguished touch.

The Aerotec seems to have an almost hallowed reputation within the SIB community - why did it ever go out of production?
Old 01 June 2023, 09:12   #65
RIBnet admin team

>>the wooden oars - a very distinguished touch.... The Aerotec seems to have an almost hallowed reputation within the SIB community - why did it ever go out of production?

The Aerotec from new came with plastic bladed alu shaft telescopic paddles and no particular place to store other than the supplied bow bag which few folks ever fitted. They were always somewhere inconvenient when needed promptly, Mrs F could never remember which way to twist to unlock/extend and they are a bit fragile for the use you might put an oar to, I've broken a plastic blade on rocks in the past. As my boating experience is rooted in the early 60s when wooden oars were for probing depth, fending off and repelling boarders as well as rowing it was natural to buy this pair when they were in front of me at an auction locally. I glued the velcro oar holders on in the best position for rapid deployment. In a crisis I could lash up a pair of rope rowlocks on the top grab rail and row far easier than using a paddle.

Re it falling out of production... When I bought mine retail was about £2500, double that of a Honwave 3.8 air floor so you really needed to appreciate the attributes to spend the extra... and when Zodiac got into financial trouble 2014-2016, then were bought out, the inevitable range revision happened and the Aerotec was a major casualty. What always surprised myself and others was why someone else like Honwave didn't make their own version to market around £1500, I'm sure it would have been a good seller.
Old 01 June 2023, 13:23   #66

Town: Worcs-West Mids border
Boat name: .
Make: .
Engine: Suzuki 20HP EFI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
...in the early 60s when wooden oars were for... fending off and repelling boarders....
Good grief! Where did you grow up?
Old 01 June 2023, 13:26   #67
RIBnet admin team

Be prepared... that was our scout motto!
Old 14 June 2023, 19:38   #68

Here she is in all her glory, sits lovely in the water, very stable and a cracking fishing vessel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2547.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	142831  
Old 14 June 2023, 20:41   #69

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Hi Jenks, looks like a nice piece of kit
Old 15 June 2023, 07:01   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Hi Jenks, looks like a nice piece of kit
Thanks mate, cracking little boat 👌🏼
Old 15 June 2023, 09:04   #71

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenks87 View Post
Here she is in all her glory, sits lovely in the water, very stable and a cracking fishing vessel.
Looks great sits exactly how I like a rib to sit, with the tubes just touching the water at rest so its not planeing on the tubes when running or flopping about with the tubes clear of the water at rest.[emoji106] re the future console taking up space, I find they tend to make the boat feel like a larger boat & often gives better storage options rather than gear lying around the deck. Maybe try & have a go in a similar size boat with a console & see how it feels for you before you commit.
Old 15 June 2023, 09:21   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Looks great sits exactly how I like a rib to sit, with the tubes just touching the water at rest so its not planeing on the tubes when running or flopping about with the tubes clear of the water at rest.[emoji106] re the future console taking up space, I find they tend to make the boat feel like a larger boat & often gives better storage options rather than gear lying around the deck. Maybe try & have a go in a similar size boat with a console & see how it feels for you before you commit.
Yes I think in the future I would definitely get a small console with back bench seat as that would hold all my fishing gear etc and hide fuel tank. Would upgrade engine to a 25 with controls then if I did that. Definitely a future investment for it. Cheers mate. Enjoying the tiller control on the 20 for now but next year definitely going to invest.

Tags
sib