Old 01 August 2022, 08:23   #1

Town: Tiptree
Boat name: Orville
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda bf6
New wheels or new SIB

So a bit of background, I’ve had my T38 IE2 & Honda 6hp about 2 months and been out on it about 10 times with my three kids.

We’ve all loved it so far apart from the below.

I bought it second hand with some launch wheels fitted, I don’t know if there Honda ones or a after market brand.

The wheels were really bent when I got them so I’ve tried my best to straighten them and there now in a better shape, although not perfect.
The holes for the pins were completely oval and as such it allowed for loads of lateral movement and deforms the wheel tubes even more.

I’ve drilled the holes to 9mm and made them a bit better but every time I’ve used them I’ve had to file and rub them down so they fit for the next outing. At one point they even got stuck half in and half out.

At some point, probably next year, I’ll be getting 20hp or 25hp outboard so more weight.

So options are

Buy the 120kg wheels from boat world and hope the brackets will line up & I won’t have to fill and drill new holes in the transom.

Sell it with the dodgy wheels (I’d be completely honest and let the new buyer know the issues) and maybe get a T40 and beach master wheels.

I know people say the t40 is a handful but I’m confident the extra 35kg will be manageable and the build time might take another 5/10 mins but I’m ok with that too. Then one day look at getting a trailer for it.

Any other options I should be considering?

Cheers.
Old 01 August 2022, 09:39   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Yes. Buy a new T38-IE3 that doesn't have the rear tabs so you have a choice of better transom wheels. Then you will only need a 20hp for about the same performance as a 25hp on a T40 which is a bit of a beast to manhandle and set up and will really need a trailer from day 1... particularly if you went to a 25hp.
Old 01 August 2022, 09:58   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Yes. Buy a new T38-IE3 that doesn't have the rear tabs so you have a choice of better transom wheels. Then you will only need a 20hp for about the same performance as a 25hp on a T40 which is a bit of a beast to manhandle and set up and will really need a trailer from day 1... particularly if you went to a 25hp.

Thanks for the quick reply, I think, although I could be completely wrong, although the IE3 doesn’t have rear tabs the base still extends past the transom by about 5cm, so ruling out beach masters and a wheels that have a vertical bracket.
Old 01 August 2022, 10:08   #4

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
You are quite correct the new floor does project slightly beyond transom, but you could always pack out the brackets with some hdpe spacers.
Old 01 August 2022, 11:54   #5
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Yep as Chipko says...

Nicely cut out white nylon chopping board to the thickness needed hardly looks out of place on the light grey Honwave transom.
Old 01 August 2022, 15:46   #6

Thank you both, it didn’t even cross my mind about packing the transom, so I think a IE3 is the way forward!

Cheers.
Old 05 October 2022, 11:06   #7

An update if anyone is interested.

T38 ie3 with beachmaster removable wheels. I fitted 20mm HDPE and sealed it all with CT1.

It leaves a 10mm gap between the bottom of the air floor and top of the wheels.

So hopefully next year, if I can afford it, I’ll sell my 6hp and get a new 20hp and the new set up should be able to take the weight.

Once again, thanks all for the advice. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3774.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	141624Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3770.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	141625Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3769.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	141626Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3771.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	141627
Old 05 October 2022, 11:25   #8

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Nice job!
Old 05 October 2022, 12:15   #9

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
I’ll second that. [emoji106]
Old 05 October 2022, 12:31   #10

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Very neat and tidy

The more I see the beachmaster wheels, the more I'm tempted.
Old 05 October 2022, 20:22   #11

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Nice SIB setup! Going to be a fun, easy to use setup.

Any plans for electronics? IE: Depth finder, GPS, etc.
Old 05 October 2022, 21:12   #12

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Very neat and tidy

The more I see the beachmaster wheels, the more I'm tempted.
Im with steve on the wheels.

We struggle to deploy or raise the excel wheels while on the volaire and even standing in the water or on land we seem to always have issues.

They are easy to move the loaded sib around on land, even with the Ob on the back once deployed though.

Just a bit concerned with the depth of the airfloor/keel there might not be enough clearence to keep the floor scraping the ground and also wonder if the wheels will rub on the bottom of the keel especially with the sib loaded up.

As for outboard I have the Suzuki 20 efi (I believe to be amongst the lightest 4 stroke 20 out there) and wouldnt like to be lifting anything much heavier to be honest with our setup. I think you would really be looking at a sack barrow or similar at least, or a 2 man lift.

I am sure a 20 on the honwave would be a good match as even on the slower heavier voliare it pushes it along fine.
Although once i have a bit more experience a 25 would give a welcome power boost, but a trailer would be called for then I think...more expense
Old 06 October 2022, 11:58   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
Nice SIB setup! Going to be a fun, easy to use setup.

Any plans for electronics? IE: Depth finder, GPS, etc.

Thank you, no plans as yet, saving for a bigger engine.
Old 06 October 2022, 12:10   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinormeg View Post
Im with steve on the wheels.

We struggle to deploy or raise the excel wheels while on the volaire and even standing in the water or on land we seem to always have issues.

They are easy to move the loaded sib around on land, even with the Ob on the back once deployed though.

Just a bit concerned with the depth of the airfloor/keel there might not be enough clearence to keep the floor scraping the ground and also wonder if the wheels will rub on the bottom of the keel especially with the sib loaded up.

As for outboard I have the Suzuki 20 efi (I believe to be amongst the lightest 4 stroke 20 out there) and wouldnt like to be lifting anything much heavier to be honest with our setup. I think you would really be looking at a sack barrow or similar at least, or a 2 man lift.

I am sure a 20 on the honwave would be a good match as even on the slower heavier voliare it pushes it along fine.

Although once i have a bit more experience a 25 would give a welcome power boost, but a trailer would be called for then I think...more expense

If I honest the wheels aren’t ideal on a air floor, hence the 20mm plastic spacer, I could have gone with a larger spacer but it’s a trade off between wheel clearance and potentially loosing strength.

With regards to a bigger engine, I’m saving up so hopefully I’ll be able to afford a new one next spring.

My head (and wallet) says a Suzuki 20 or Tohatsu 20, both 44/43kg. However I do like the Yamaha 25hp. It’s 57kg though, but I think I could man handle it from my car boot to the transom. It’s also about £1000 pound more than the 20hp’s, also there doesn’t seem to be any 2nd hand ones on the market either.

The time I’m ready to buy one there might be something else on the market.
Honda still have carbed outboards, I’m sure they must having something a bit more modern coming soon.

Cheers.
Old 06 October 2022, 12:21   #15

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati View Post
If I honest the wheels aren’t ideal on a air floor, hence the 20mm plastic spacer, I could have gone with a larger spacer but it’s a trade off between wheel clearance and potentially loosing strength.

With regards to a bigger engine, I’m saving up so hopefully I’ll be able to afford a new one next spring.

My head (and wallet) says a Suzuki 20 or Tohatsu 20, both 44/43kg. However I do like the Yamaha 25hp. It’s 57kg though, but I think I could man handle it from my car boot to the transom. It’s also about £1000 pound more than the 20hp’s, also there doesn’t seem to be any 2nd hand ones on the market either.

The time I’m ready to buy one there might be something else on the market.
Honda still have carbed outboards, I’m sure they must having something a bit more modern coming soon.

Cheers.

Re. Manhandling the Yammie. I’m fit & no weed, but the 20hp 44kg Suzuki is on my limit. It’s not the weight per-se, it’s the “awkwardicity” of the top heavy lump. It’s nearly had me over more than once.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 October 2022, 12:33   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Re. Manhandling the Yammie. I’m fit & no weed, but the 20hp 44kg Suzuki is on my limit. It’s not the weight per-se, it’s the “awkwardicity” of the top heavy lump. It’s nearly had me over more than once.
+1

47kg Merc and its at my limit.

"awkwardicity" what a brilliant word
Old 06 October 2022, 20:04   #17

Town: Lancaster
Length: under 3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati View Post

Cheers.
What is it about the wheels that aren't ideal Ducati?
Being mounted on spacers or just lack of clearance underneath?
A couple of years ago I had a boatworld air v floor and purchased their wheels. They weren't good quality IMO
Old 06 October 2022, 20:24   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy c View Post
What is it about the wheels that aren't ideal Ducati?

Being mounted on spacers or just lack of clearance underneath?

A couple of years ago I had a boatworld air v floor and purchased their wheels. They weren't good quality IMO

It’s the way the air floor hangs quite a bit lower than the bottom of the transom.

When the wheels are folded down they go back, so the centre of the wheel is directly under the fixing plate.

This is good for the weight distribution but means the tyre may rub against the floor which is probably about 5-10cm lower than the bottom of the transom.

Not a massive issue, the work around is putting on a spacer like I’ve done.
There still a thousand times better than the “swan neck” wheels of my old T38 IE2!
Old 06 October 2022, 21:35   #19

Town: Leicester
Make: Yam
Some heavy engines there. I would strongly advise looking at some 2 stroke engines if you are set on going for the maximum hp.

I had a brand new 15hp Yamaha 4 stroke at 52kg. I'm 40 and relatively fit, but it was a massive pain in the arse. Difficult to move and made the boat handle shit having all that weight on a sib transom. I bided my time and got a mint condition 15hp 2 stroke, which was every bit as reliable.

Fortunately I got my money back on the new motor due to covid tax. But if you brought a 55kg motor these days and sold it shortly after due to weight, you might loose a bit of money.

I think you could get a 25hp yam 2 stroke in nice condition for a grand. Maybe worth a try before spending £2500ish on a new 4 stroke.
Old 06 October 2022, 23:12   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blankton View Post
Some heavy engines there. I would strongly advise looking at some 2 stroke engines if you are set on going for the maximum hp.

I had a brand new 15hp Yamaha 4 stroke at 52kg. I'm 40 and relatively fit, but it was a massive pain in the arse. Difficult to move and made the boat handle shit having all that weight on a sib transom. I bided my time and got a mint condition 15hp 2 stroke, which was every bit as reliable.

Fortunately I got my money back on the new motor due to covid tax. But if you brought a 55kg motor these days and sold it shortly after due to weight, you might loose a bit of money.

I think you could get a 25hp yam 2 stroke in nice condition for a grand. Maybe worth a try before spending £2500ish on a new 4 stroke.
I didn't realise that Yamaha 4 strokes were that heavy! That aside, I know it's each to there own, but why would I want to buy, let's say a 10 year old 18hp 2 stroke Tohatsu @ 41kg instead of a new 20hp 4 stroke efi Tohatsu @ 43kg.
The 4 stroke is cleaner, isn't as noisy, and is much much more fuel efficient.

Tags
sib