Old 10 April 2009, 01:46   #1

Length: no boat
Orion

Good morning
Has anyone here heard of a SIB from South Africa called an Orion. It is 4m long by 2m beam and looks like a thundercat in that it has 2 tubes and appears to be joined at the bow by a plywood section. I have searched the internet but can find no reference to them. It looks to be a good boat at a giveaway price,
Here is a link to the boat

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-208878865.htm

Thanks
Adrian
Old 10 April 2009, 04:42   #2

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
I'm not familiar with the brand, but the transom looks to be very beefy. Is it within a reasonable driving distance for you to have a look at it in person. For the price (800 NZ dollars = $ 570 CDN), I don't see how you could go wrong.
Old 10 April 2009, 06:14   #3

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
Is it within a reasonable driving distance for you to have a look at it in person.
That is the problem, it is 600 miles away. But I suppose distance is a relative thing, this is a small country so that distance is huge.
I just got this reply from the seller.

"Material is PVC. Has 4 valves. 2 are new. Needs one valve to be replaced or possibly just cleaned--I think it has dirt in it. 2 valves need caps which also seal providing a double seal. These valves are available from Burnsco. It was fine in South Africa--stays hard for about a week but I lost 2 of the dust caps and air leaks out slowly--takes a few days.
There is a thick rigid one piece beam that fits under the floor and gives the shape to the boat and makes the keel in the bottom.
Floor is dry as water goes underneath the floor and exits from the transom
Boat rolls up into a cylindrical shape about 2 metres long by 800mm diameter. Deck boards break down into 3 pieces--biggest is +- 1500mm x 1000mm. Biggest item is the curved centre beam--about 3500mm long x 80mm thick x 150 mm high.
Boat can be assembled by one person--takes about 10 minutes and another 10 minutes to pump it up. Am selling because boat is too big for me to use on my yacht. Does have a couple of patches but no PVC leaks."

It sounds like an ungainly beast when packed up but could go onto the roof rack of my Discovery. I forgot to ask the age of it. What does concern me is that it is PVC. What should I look for in a PVC boat. At present I have an old Avon.

Thanks
Adrian