Old 19 July 2021, 20:33   #61

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
It took me about 4 weeks of searching on ebay & gumtree, and then two bare base road trailers came up. I didn't look specifically for ones with bunks as I wanted to make them myself so that they are right for my SD360, and I found that used trailers with bunks were a lot more money.
Old 19 July 2021, 21:24   #62

Yup, it doesn't strike me as a solution for this season. Google is a bit of a mess with keywords just bringing up all sorts of stuff and as is typical with boating, the websites are all a bit outdated and messy.

It would also appear that at 390/400 cm I'm sitting on the wrong side of the most popular trailers as well.

It has winter project written all over it.
Old 21 July 2021, 19:46   #63

Pondering the absence of grab handles on the inside of the Excel this afternoon. It strikes me as something that would have been useful. Firstly for the pilot to have a firm hold while steering but also for small passengers upfront.

I'm not really a fan of children's fingers being where the grab rope is as that's in 'sandwich' territory.

As a quick fix would putting a line or strap across the boat between the grab ropes be a solution? I can't immediately think of any significant issues or risks?
Old 21 July 2021, 19:52   #64

Why not fix some grab handles where you need them? Cheap enough on fleabay and very easy to fix on.
Old 21 July 2021, 21:04   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Why not fix some grab handles where you need them? Cheap enough on fleabay and very easy to fix on.

That was my initial thought but I've never had much joy with gluing hyperlon and I can't see PVC being better.
Old 21 July 2021, 21:24   #66

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by TmMorris View Post
That was my initial thought but I've never had much joy with gluing hyperlon and I can't see PVC being better.

Ahh! That’ll be because you’re using the wrong glue. You’ll be using Hypalon glue. You need the special Hyperlon stuff, but it’s hard to find.[emoji6]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 21:29   #67

Quote:
Bit of a problem when you get a puncture Tim, and you will

I've glued D rings and repaired a puncture without any problem. I'd be very confident fixing grab handles, in fact it's on my to do list.
Old 21 July 2021, 23:02   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Bit of a problem when you get a puncture Tim, and you will

I've glued D rings and repaired a puncture without any problem. I'd be very confident fixing grab handles, in fact it's on my to do list.
The important thing is that if I go down the logical route and for some grab handles, when it comes off on the crest of a 6 footer and I smack myself in the face with it, I will be able to blame a man called Steve.
Old 21 July 2021, 23:16   #69

Quote:
The important thing is that if I go down the logical route and for some grab handles, when it comes off on the crest of a 6 footer and I smack myself in the face with it, I will be able to blame a man called Steve.
Yep, I'll take full responsibility
Old 22 July 2021, 11:36   #70
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Post #48 on this thread...

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/one-pe...tec-83658.html

No warranty given or implied but it should see you right.

I'm doing a small lift handle upgrade on the Aerotec adding the very useful between the rear tubes handles as on our old T35 Honwave.

If two of you want to carry a 3.5/3.8m SIB any distance carrying from the side even if there are handles at the right balance point is a pain. With the Honwave style ones one of you carrying between the rear tubes and the other using the bow handle makes it so much easier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Honwave stern handles.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	138230  
Old 22 July 2021, 11:58   #71

Thanks. I've been following your thread and been making mental notes. It's a good idiots guide.

Im thinking of gluing on some of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284351749022?
Old 22 July 2021, 12:11   #72
RIBnet admin team

Style OK but source?? Niggly as ever I'd go for a UK inflatable boat supplier where when they sell PVC to glue to PVC it is likely to be so.

I like these...

https://www.ibsparts.co.uk/product/p...260mm-x-100mm/

Similar to the OE ones on my old Honwave in front of the seat... they made for the perfect grab hold at that angle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Honwave Mersea.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	138234  
Old 22 July 2021, 12:32   #73

Those are a much more appropriate design for what's needed. Thanks.
Old 22 July 2021, 14:05   #74

In between climbing into the pond to clear and clean the pump and then getting sent back in to cut lilies because somehow it was more logical to wait for some to climb back out from the lilies, I have bitten the bullet on a trailer.

I've been scouring the classifieds for a used one but I just have a feeling that this year there will be few during the season and then their price will be up near new prices so having narrowed down the options to Snipe and Extreme, I found the chap I spoke to at the latter to be extremely helpful and after some inning and ahhing on my behalf I placed an order for an EXT400 Inflatable Bunk which should be ready for collection in Soton in a little over a fortnight.
Old 22 July 2021, 16:53   #75
RIBnet admin team

Nothing like a bit of pond frustration to concentrate the mind. Truth is... and the pandemic has firmed up our attitude... if you think you need to do something forget maybe next year... just get on with it.
Old 22 July 2021, 17:08   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Nothing like a bit of pond frustration to concentrate the mind. Truth is... and the pandemic has firmed up our attitude... if you think you need to do something forget maybe next year... just get on with it.

I couldn't agree more. Mainly it just makes life easier to get these jobs done.

I really didn't want to spend the money on the trailer but in reality, I very much suspect that it will allow us to get out on the water more times this season. And ultimately, like the boat and even the outboard, within reason, it's going to hold a good value anyway.

I've also had to buy a Horizon VHF as I cannot find my old one anywhere and despite the Solent being well populated it doesn't strike me as remotely worth not having a radio onboard. I've a vague memory of lending it to someone.
Old 27 July 2021, 15:35   #77

Quote:
And an easy to remove governor so the children can start learning to helm without the risk of panic throttle errors:

The governor was used on the last outing but it became very clear that having to unbolt the main plate while on water isn't all that practical.

So I decided to make an adjuster screw that would make changing a more simple affair:

Old 27 July 2021, 15:47   #78
RIBnet admin team

Dad had a governor fitted to the boat when I had my first independent motoring about in a dinghy (Saint Peter Port harbour)... it was called a Seagull 40 plus.
Old 27 July 2021, 15:54   #79

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Dad had a governor fitted to the boat when I had my first independent motoring about in a dinghy (Saint Peter Port harbour)... it was called a Seagull 40 plus.
LOL ..I can appreciate that one Fenlander. For us..we didn't need a governor as my father's motor boats were displacement speed stuff ..which is why I always snigger when folks say you need at least a 15HP to safely go to sea nowadays. How would they have got on in those days ?

With my kids..they got to use the wee Aux outboard. That was my governor for them
Old 27 July 2021, 16:10   #80

Quote:
The governor was used on the last outing but it became very clear that having to unbolt the main plate while on water isn't all that practical.

So I decided to make an adjuster screw that would make changing a more simple affair:

Great idea Tim, might fit one for Diane she has a touch like a fairy elephant!

Tags
outboard