Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Fantastic, thanks.
Old 13 June 2022, 10:31   #162

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
Don’t know how I’ve missed this thread. Cracking work Donny, four stroke boating is just another level of comfort.
Old 13 June 2022, 14:52   #163

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Thanks A1an and yes.. this outboard has transformed my boat.

I now feel I can call it a “proper boat” and not a “blow and go” as I was used to for quite a few years.

I wouldn’t call it a RIB but perhaps that is only me because I associate RIB’s with being heavy and very fast ..oh and very expensive...at least the ones I have been on are. The Quicksilver is lightweight and relatively cheap..and will cruise around 20mpg ..not knots.. but still takes me places where the big RIBs and whales go.

Electricity is a definite bonus ball

It is a pure delight running with the fishfinder showing depth any time Im in the boat. Before I only switched it on when close to reefs as I couldn’t charge the 12v battery and mine would not run for days on end without needing charging.

The fixed VHF is also a game changer. Handheld VHFs on the remote west coast were hopeless which is why I always carry a PLB with the handheld. I now transmit and receive messages no problem.. and because I can hear the radio above the noise of the four stroke..I keep it on at all times. I hardly switched the handheld on as I couldn’t hear a thing.

The flick of a switch and swoosh ..the bilge water has gone so no more bailers reqquired.. well once I get a pipe to pee over the side with ..the bailers are history

Lastly..I can go to sea for as long as I want now. Before I had to return home every so often to charge cameras phones and Ipad for watching movies etc. Now the USB ports charge as I go.

Who knows ..one day I might even get a plotter but I do enjoy navigating by chart and compass and as long as I can see ..I know where Im going around the west anyhoo... I have done it that often even the dolphins say hello. I know plenty folks with the latest in chart plotters and a few hit rocks and damage props and skegs ..something I have never done..touch wood. So Im not convinced they are a game changer ..but I may change my mind on that ..one day.

20 hour service now done.. took an hour checking everything the manual said to check, changing oils and greasing bits n pieces..so Im ready to go to sea again ..so see you around the sea .. if you are near me..

Stay safe and enjoy your boats
Best Regards
DonnyW
Old 14 June 2022, 16:22   #164

Town: London
Boat name: No Name
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Thanks A1an and yes.. this outboard has transformed my boat.

I now feel I can call it a “proper boat” and not a “blow and go” as I was used to for quite a few years.

I wouldn’t call it a RIB but perhaps that is only me because I associate RIB’s with being heavy and very fast ..oh and very expensive...at least the ones I have been on are. The Quicksilver is lightweight and relatively cheap..and will cruise around 20mpg ..not knots.. but still takes me places where the big RIBs and whales go.

Electricity is a definite bonus ball

It is a pure delight running with the fishfinder showing depth any time Im in the boat. Before I only switched it on when close to reefs as I couldn’t charge the 12v battery and mine would not run for days on end without needing charging.

The fixed VHF is also a game changer. Handheld VHFs on the remote west coast were hopeless which is why I always carry a PLB with the handheld. I now transmit and receive messages no problem.. and because I can hear the radio above the noise of the four stroke..I keep it on at all times. I hardly switched the handheld on as I couldn’t hear a thing.

The flick of a switch and swoosh ..the bilge water has gone so no more bailers reqquired.. well once I get a pipe to pee over the side with ..the bailers are history

Lastly..I can go to sea for as long as I want now. Before I had to return home every so often to charge cameras phones and Ipad for watching movies etc. Now the USB ports charge as I go.

Who knows ..one day I might even get a plotter but I do enjoy navigating by chart and compass and as long as I can see ..I know where Im going around the west anyhoo... I have done it that often even the dolphins say hello. I know plenty folks with the latest in chart plotters and a few hit rocks and damage props and skegs ..something I have never done..touch wood. So Im not convinced they are a game changer ..but I may change my mind on that ..one day.

20 hour service now done.. took an hour checking everything the manual said to check, changing oils and greasing bits n pieces..so Im ready to go to sea again ..so see you around the sea .. if you are near me..

Stay safe and enjoy your boats
Best Regards
DonnyW
It is clear that new outboard has changed you boating a huge amount. I am very pleased that you are pleased. If you do get a chart plotter that might do the same
Old 14 June 2022, 20:17   #165

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
Big plumbs is all you need to keep the midges at bay [emoji848]

To quote the late great Meatloaf, “You took the words right out of my mouth”
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2022, 16:54   #166

Midges ??!!

I would have loved to see some midges on the latest adventure as I had four days battling F5 seas .. Fortunately only a few miles from land so the fetch wasn’t too big . It still made my steering arm a bit stiff so it was well lubricated with gravy at the end of each day. Helps stop the rust setting in.

Its all part of testing out the new Yamaha outboard ..it went flawlessly despite the constant drenching and pounding it took. The rubber mounts that dampen the outboard vibrations are not the soft flimsy variety that some other leading brands use ?

I have mounted and bolted it to transom... with the AV plate 5mm below transom which is my preferred height as anything above transom level in a small light weight boat like this ... in heavy seas would be crazy.

bugger..another can of gravy broke loose and rolling doon the boat .. gotta catch it before it busts.

Still not had a chance for full throttle runs to test top speed ..but Im building up to it

Hey A1an ..if you are still around ..was that you in the Humber on Loch Eil on Monday ..it was at the outbound centre but I couldn’t make out if it was your’s or not
Old 22 June 2022, 18:26   #167

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Quote:
The rubber mounts that dampen the outboard vibrations are not the soft flimsy variety that some other leading brands use ?
You'll be pleased that they aren't Donny, when my engine mounts went between Arron and Bute it wasn't the best experience I've had!
Old 22 June 2022, 18:49   #168

I can imagine Steve and your incident was on my mind on this trip.

I would have been in deep waters if the mounts went when I was in the Corran overfalls heading out into Loch Linnhe. It was wind against tide too. I wanted to get into the sheltered waters of Loch Leven as I was drenched and my eyes stinging with so much salt water thrown in them but had to keep heading into the overfalls as it would have been too risky turning beam onto the sea. The photos are from a Gopro so don’t do the waves justice in stills..but the movie looks quite spectacular.

A couple of stills from the cockpit view .. ..which is why I ended up wet

Old 22 June 2022, 19:30   #169

Stills are excellent Donny, really look forward to seeing the video.

You need to change your profile location from Sterling to Taynuilt.
Old 04 September 2022, 10:19   #170

Hi guys .. as s quick update to this thread

It was rather fickle weather off the West of Scotland this summer. Every second day seemed to bring rain or wind and often both at the same time. I was beginning to loose hope that I would manage round the island of Skye before summer ended. Then miraculously the last two weeks of August had a couple of weather windows that allowed an attempt.

First weather window started to change as I approached Skye. I got there but couldn’t afford not to get home before the winds blocked a return passage round Ardnamurchan Point. A week later I had my second attempt and this time made it round.

This adventure alone was around 600 miles and used approx £400 in fuel. If I had kept the Mariner two stroke..it would have cost over £650 in fuel and oil so my savings are on track plus I have a very reliable new OB which will last the rest of my boating days. It does everything I said it would do. Im not a kick in the teeth off 70 years of age so doubt I will go round Skye again as I was shattered when I got home after a total of 8 nights in a tent. Murdered by midges and ticks but its all part of the challenge.

Some photos of the trip ..there will of course be a video series covering this adventure and the other inner islands I managed this summer ..Mull..Jura etc ... on my Youtube channel.

This map shows the route. I launch at Taynult near Oban which is not of the map. The red route was first attempt and I was alone. brown route shows successful attempt and I had company of another 4m inflatable.

I have never seen so many dolphins as I did this year. I also saw two pilot whales and one minke whale. Sadly no basking sharks. Sea eagles were seen but not as many as past visits, I wonder if bird flu was the reason? Plenty dead gannets on the water

Weather was great so no complaints there

Plenty tall ships enjoying the area too

Sadly..was in Kinloch on Rum the day before the lone yachtsman disappeared. I heard his body was found this morning

Gordon and myself on the Island of Muck
Old 04 September 2022, 10:21   #171

Some general views of Skye ..its coastline is stunning.

Thanks for reading and best wishes from The Gurnard
Old 04 September 2022, 12:02   #172

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Some general views of Skye ..its coastline is stunning.

Thanks for reading and best wishes from The Gurnard

Great work as ever Donny, I never get tired of seeing your stuff.
We’ve just come back from a stunning week in Arisaig, the weather was perfect and we were very lucky. As you say, LOADS of dolphins, a couple of Minkes and sadly plenty of dead Gannets. The Mackerel were in too. There were reports of a Humpback around Coll.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3379.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	141429Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9884.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	141431Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3385.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	141432Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9908.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	141433Click image for larger version

Name:	dji_fly_20220830_150218_997_1661868433932_photo.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	141434
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 September 2022, 13:53   #173

Thanks for the very kind words PD, much appreciated and Im delighted you had good weather at Arisaig too. Nice photos which capture the mood of the area.

Its one of my favourite places on this planet. I love slowly wandering around the Arisaig Skerries and spent a very hot August bank holiday Saturday going along its entire coastline, a couple of weeks ago on my Skye adventure.

My only complaint was that on the mainland every single sandy beach was crowded. I didn’t land on my favourite spots because of so many folks.. even though I was dying for a swim to cool down. So anchored off a deserted stone beach and jumped off the boat for my swim. The cool water soothed the many itching spots from the many insect bite I collected on the way.

Arisaig on a sunny day is heaven on earth.

My wild campsite was miles from the madding crowds too..I was in the middle of nowhere

Quietly slurping beer as I watch the sun set over the Small Isles. My boat was in the garage safe from surf should the waves get up during the night.

It was a fantastic adventure that I will never forget
Old 04 September 2022, 19:36   #174

Fantastic pictures Donny, look forward to the video.
Think you had a little better weather than we did this weekend around Bute and Loch Striven. A few dolphins, porpoises, loads of gannets (no dead ones) and a couple of juvenile Sea Eagles.
Old 04 September 2022, 19:39   #175

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
Glad you enjoyed yourself Donny looked an amazing trip brings back found memories when we did it take care and look forward to seeing your video all the best HH
Old 05 September 2022, 21:00   #176

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Cracking photos once again guys, and like everyone else we are waiting for the release of the next episode donny.

Popping a cork and chilling while watching yours and the other guys adventures on the large tv screen is becoming quite an event in my house.

As Ive said before, we really do appreciate all the work it takes to bring your passion to our screens, and thanks again for sharing that part of your lives with us.

Cheers Brian
Old 06 September 2022, 07:40   #177

Thanks for the kind words Brinormeg, Im hoping to get the second part of the Taynuilt to Skye boxset on line soon before I head off to sea again ..possibly on Thursday. Im sure you will enjoy it as the scenery is out this world.

Thanks Steve and HH ..I didn’t envy your Clyde trip as Im a fair-weather boater nowadays and I saw the rain coming so headed for home. Its why I don’t do prearranged trips now. I just go when the weather is kind. I realise its different when working or have family commitments but I have none ..so make the most of it.

Thanks again
The Gurnard
Old 06 September 2022, 11:06   #178

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
Cheers Donny it was a wet and windy weekend but we all enjoyed it.
There was a dry spell during the day on Saturday then heavy rain the rest of the night Sunday started wet and was sunny and calm as we arrived back at the marina
Old 07 September 2022, 07:18   #179

Town: Cornwall
Boat name: Matchless
Make: Ribcraft 6.8m
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 3.4l 225 V6
MMSI: 232028056
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Great work as ever Donny, I never get tired of seeing your stuff.
We’ve just come back from a stunning week in Arisaig, the weather was perfect and we were very lucky. As you say, LOADS of dolphins, a couple of Minkes and sadly plenty of dead Gannets. The Mackerel were in too. There were reports of a Humpback around Coll.
Attachment 141429Attachment 141431Attachment 141432Attachment 141433Attachment 141434

Hilleberg Tarra? Nice tent! Got me one of them
Old 07 September 2022, 07:37   #180

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
that's a serious undertaking in a SIB Donny, well done.

Tell me, whats Loch Hourn like? Ive never been in there.