Old 23 July 2024, 09:16   #1

Town: Hartlepool
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: 15hp Mercury
Scout, Carbon Pro, Maekstrom etc

Am I right that the Excel Scout, Carbon Pro, and Maelstrom are basically the same boat, with minor differences in fittings?

If that’s the case, then it comes down to who offers the best customer service?
Old 23 July 2024, 10:42   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Yes you're right, some folks have their favourites but these are all very similar. If bought new and in normal leisure use I think they would all perform and last about the same.

So were I choosing I'd look at the exact details of fittings to suit my use, colour scheme, proximity and reputation/size of dealer. For example if you needed warranty issues resolving compare the established premises of Boatworld with the address of Maelstrom being a private house.
Old 23 July 2024, 17:24   #3

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Hi, as Fenlander says they are all very similar, but there are also some telling differences.

Maelstrom 3.8m (£1050), Boatworld Carbon Pro 3.65m (£1095) or 4.0m (£1295), Excel Scout 3.6m (£1095**) or 4.0m (£1295**)
** plus £49.95 accessory kit + £39.95 oars

IMO Excel are pricing themselves out of the market, the accessory kit and oars are essential and shouldn't be sold as optional extras.

Maelstrom Online, a quick search at companies house produced nothing about them so I'd assume they are t/a and have a different Ltd company name or they are a sole trader. Nothing wrong with either, but it's good to have the info before you purchase just in case something goes wrong.

Boatworld, bricks and mortar company, good reputation , well respected on Ribnet and possibly the closest to Hartlepool, showroom open to visit anytime.

Just so as you know, I've no affiliation to Boatworld and I actually own an Excel.
Old 23 July 2024, 20:06   #4

Town: Edinburgh
Length: 4m +
I got my new Carbon pro 400 yesterday and love it. I almost purchased the Excel scout 400 which looks like the same boat until I realise it didn’t come with oar attachments etc. by the time I added all the optional extras, it was a bit more expensive. The only downside to the Carbon pro, was that it was on pre-order when I wanted it, so had to wait about 2 month for delivery. I almost buckled a few times and almost cancelled my order to get the Scout, just so I could get on the water lol.
Old 24 July 2024, 05:08   #5

Town: Colchester
I think the new owners of Excel are a bit crafty and know how to earn a little extra cash. I have spoken to them at the last 2 boat shows and I am not too keen. It would be Boatworld or Honwave all the time for me generally
Old 28 July 2024, 19:38   #6

Town: Hartlepool
Make: Gemini
Engine: 15hp Mercury
Thanks,
My outboard should be going in for recommissioning tomorrow and if it’s all good, I’m just about decided on a Carbon Pro 400
Old 28 July 2024, 20:06   #7

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Looks a nice sib, very stylish.

It's big & a heavyweight, just make sure you can cope with the weight. I know that I couldn't and would want it permanently on a trailer.
Old 29 July 2024, 11:45   #8

Town: Edinburgh
Length: 4m +
As Steve has mentioned above, it’s a heavy boat when in its bag. Manageable with a sack truck. Did it yesterday out at Torness. Great boat with plenty space.