Old 25 February 2018, 01:57   #1

Town: Hugglescote, Leics.
Boat name: Sharkbait2
Make: Seago
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 2.5
MMSI: 235904584
Seago 320 Airdeck Outboard options

Got a new Seago 320, not yet wet. I am thinking of a new Tohatsu 9.8, mainly due weight, as I will be car loading each use.
I see the 15 hp Suzuki is around 43kg. Is this an easy to do load to car and transom, and are there any magic methods or trolleys to help?
Boat is rated catC, and max engine 15 Hp42ff.
Got wheels on the transom.
Old 25 February 2018, 07:18   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Woody I'll repeat the info I gave in your intro thread so it's part of the discussion...

A few years back for that size of SIB I'd have said go for the best used Tohatsu 9.8 2-stroke you can find but life moves on and many are going for new 4-strokes on smaller SIBs now.

My 20hp 44kg Suzuki lives on a trolley like this in the garage and on the rare occasions we need to move it about other than on the boat that's what I use... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Outboard-...IAAOSwhzRahGSZ

Having said that I never use the trolley on a day out... I always use the boat as the trolley.

The size and hence weight OB you need depends on where you wish to use the SIB and how many folks you'll be taking out.
Old 25 February 2018, 09:45   #3

Thanks Fenlander,
Thought moving would get wider view. I can lift 100lb, but don’t like walking around with it. So yes, boat to motor for quick lift out of boot is ok.
I have the plastic wheels, so should trundle to water. Can’t always park next to water, so I am thinking worst case and then boat first, then engine on trolley, down to water.
Looking at cruising north Norfolk, very limited slips, and the Broads. These tend to be very busy during tidal access times in season.
The Rooteq trolley looks promising, and that would, if it is , let me get a 15hp Suzuki, which looks nice and is my sips maximum,
Old 25 February 2018, 10:41   #4
RIBnet admin team

Yes always good to ask the question in a specific thread. It can be quieter here this time of year but I hope you'll get some other opinions.

I nearly bought a Rooteq trolley a year or more ago but found they'd had problems with breakages and at one point I think they were withdrawn from the market. The general opinion then was that they were very "cool" looking and expensive but the "up to 15/20hp" was optimistic, they were a bit "tippy" and they were better suited to smaller OBs. Not sure what the situation is now.

See post #272 on this thread for an example of issues... http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/which-r...a-70291-6.html

We always setup right next to the car so it's just a short lift... even if that means parking further away as I find a longer transom wheel trundle is easier than carrying the outboard. See this thread I started a few years back with loads of good advice from others... http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/how-far...els-71295.html Several comments on the Rooteq too.
Old 25 February 2018, 10:43   #5

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Seago 320 Airdeck Outboard options

Woody,
While great if you need a dismountable trolley, the Rooteq will not be that stable with the 44kg Suzuki. Our Rooteq was perfect for our 26kg Tohatsu.
To be honest we’ve found the most cost effective option is buy a cheap sack truck and modify to carry the motor. Also great for storing, flushing, maintenance etc.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1919.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	123653
Old 25 February 2018, 17:10   #6

Great thanks,
It was the which roof rack for a ford Ka post which made me join the forum.
It reminded me of when we went camping in a Ka and a big Vango airbeam tent.
Like the idea of a sack barrow converted. The Easy motor toter from B H G looks interesting, as it folds up. Looks easier on the You tube vid than the Rooteq, if a tad pricy.
Old 26 February 2018, 02:36   #7

Just got up to date with which roof rack for a Ka. It really answers my questions, maybe that post should be renamed, as it has so much information on other things. Like the idea of putting sib on bike rack.
I will wait for a while on the trolly to see more reviews.
Old 28 February 2018, 05:08   #8

More research, looks like 2 different Rooteq trollies coming into stock at dealers. One German, one Italian. Same style different names, both around £100. I’ve ordered a German one, so will let you know how it handles.
Old 28 February 2018, 05:38   #9

And
I am now moving towards the Efi Tohatsu 15 Hp at 43 kgs.
The improved centre of gravity for tilting and forward shift gear lever look good. I noted a comment from Fenlander in another thread regarding the fuel tank capacity being better at 25 l than the supplied 12.5 l. Any idea how much fuel these outboards use?
Old 28 February 2018, 20:45   #10
RIBnet admin team

I've looked into it and that Tohatsu looks excellent.

On an average run with mixed conditions and full use of the Suzuki 20's power our range on a 25l tank would be about 75Nm... for me using the thirds rule (third out, third return, third reserve) that's a safe round trip range of 50Nm which is plenty for our days out. But you can see with a 12l you could soon get through its 25Nm safe range.

Tags
outboard