Old 27 March 2023, 10:40   #1

Town: Bideford
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 4m +
Sell separately or together?

Not been on here for a while so Hi all.

Some of you might recall my offshore exploits in my Aerotec 420 (lundy island etc).

Sadly due to my sailing boat being vandalised i need to raise repair funds and therefore i'll be putting the bombard and its mariner 15 2 stroke on the market soon. Just wondering if folks have had better reward selling as a package or selling outboard & boat separately. The engine is a beauty and I'm just redoing the scratched decals on her cowl.

Cheers all
Old 27 March 2023, 10:55   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Hi Simon, really sorry to hear about the sailing boat.

You will always realise more splitting an outfit, there are so many folks who would want a tidy Mariner 15 2-stroke who would already have their own SIB or who would no be suited by the Aerotec. Unless your Aerotec was say 2012 or newer I think most of the money is in the outboard.
Old 27 March 2023, 12:23   #3

Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Engine: Yam 200HP
Do Aerotec 420’s take a long or short shaft?
Old 27 March 2023, 13:55   #4
RIBnet admin team

Unless already cut down they take a long shaft. The transom is level across the top not lower in the middle like the 380. No idea why they did that as I believe otherwise apart from length other dimensions were the same between the two models.

Given that many have lifted the 380 transom by up to 50mm to get best results you wouldn't need that much off the standard 420 transom to suit a short shaft if that was your thinking.
Old 27 March 2023, 15:24   #5

Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Engine: Yam 200HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Unless already cut down they take a long shaft. The transom is level across the top not lower in the middle like the 380. No idea why they did that as I believe otherwise apart from length other dimensions were the same between the two models.

Given that many have lifted the 380 transom by up to 50mm to get best results you wouldn't need that much off the standard 420 transom to suit a short shaft if that was your thinking.

I was thinking if it’s a short shaft there will be a lot more sib users interested in it than if it’s a long shaft
Old 27 March 2023, 15:57   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
Do Aerotec 420’s take a long or short shaft?
Long. Its a 2006 longshaft mariner 15. However, despite what some might say I'd be perfectly happy to notch out the transom for a short shaft. I can't seeing it making any odds at all, plus the longshaft is shimmed up nearly 2 inches to avoid the well known spray issue off the outboard leg.
Old 27 March 2023, 16:12   #7
RIBnet admin team

Ahh hadn't thought of the OB's shaft length issue. So realistically your Mariner is a little bit niche market for a 15hp and may in this case be better partnered with the Aerotec.
Old 27 March 2023, 20:14   #8

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Ahh hadn't thought of the OB's shaft length issue. So realistically your Mariner is a little bit niche market for a 15hp and may in this case be better partnered with the Aerotec.
Its realy only niche in sib world, plenty of hard boats that would run happily on 15hp only take long shaft. River cruisers & small fishing boats etc will run longshafts. I sold a 15 longshaft a couple of years ago & could have sold it several times over. the fact its long wont affect its price only its target market.

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app
Old 27 March 2023, 22:56   #9
RIBnet admin team

Well I hope in Simon's case his sells well whichever way he decides.. package or split. And yes I do bias thoughts to SIBs on here. But I did think it through.

Things have moved on since I started sibbing and now the price gap between a three year old 4-stroke and a sixteen year old 2-stroke in the 10-15hp range has become narrower and the 4-strokes are gaining ever more fans for fuel economy, quietness and lack of smoke. This is particularly true on the river where no-one wants a following wind blowing outboard smoke back at you when you're doing 5mph.

The 2-stroke main remaining USP is its portability which is why they are so popular for SIBs. But the longshaft fitted hard boats and rivers boats are so often trailed, on moorings or pontoons with OBs left on so the portability USP isn't essential hence folks frequently go 4-stroke for all their advantages.

Hence time and again on here folks have found what seems a real good deal of a used holy grail 9.8, 9.9, 15 2-stroke but then it turns out to be a long shaft hence reducing its market size and price. It is perhaps different in your area or experience but it's what I see down south.

10-15hp 4-stroke longshafts however sell well this way, particularly with remotes fitted, as we have several rivers in the county.
Old 28 March 2023, 07:25   #10

Quote:
Well I hope in Simon's case his sells well whichever way he decides.. package or split. And yes I do bias thoughts to SIBs on here. But I did think it through.

Things have moved on since I started sibbing and now the price gap between a three year old 4-stroke and a sixteen year old 2-stroke in the 10-15hp range has become narrower and the 4-strokes are gaining ever more fans for fuel economy, quietness and lack of smoke. This is particularly true on the river where no-one wants a following wind blowing outboard smoke back at you when you're doing 5mph.

Hence time and again on here folks have found what seems a real good deal of a used holy grail 9.8, 9.9, 15 2-stroke but then it turns out to be a long shaft hence reducing its market size and price. It is perhaps different in your area or experience but it's what I see down south.

10-15hp 4-stroke longshafts however sell well this way, particularly with remotes fitted, as we have several rivers in the county.
...yes, i'm now shopping for a 4 stroke sailmate engine for my sailing boat, used prices have really narrowed with 2 strokes But the sheer number of adverts where people either don't know, or don't state, or state incorrectly the shaft length of their engine is extraordinary.
Old 28 March 2023, 09:33   #11
RIBnet admin team

Agreed. So many times over the past decade folks looking for a short 15hp 2-stroke have linked a listing and said this one looks a good price. You look at the often poor images and see that it's actually a longshaft. If you ask for a measurement you can get back a random dimension that pretty obviously is something like saddle to bottom of skeg or to middle of prop etc.

BTW if you didn't mind saying which sailing boat did you end up with? I remember years ago, well before Covid, we exchanged a few comments that buying similar was a possibility Mrs F and I had often chatted about. As it turns out lucky we didn't as current medium term responsibilities would have left it unloved on a mooring somewhere. That seems to be the case with at least 25% of the boats we see on moorings as we head out from our go-to launch location with the Aerotec.
Old 28 March 2023, 12:30   #12

Quote:

BTW if you didn't mind saying which sailing boat did you end up with? I remember years ago, well before Covid, we exchanged a few comments that buying similar was a possibility Mrs F and I had often chatted about. As it turns out lucky we didn't as current medium term responsibilities would have left it unloved on a mooring somewhere. That seems to be the case with at least 25% of the boats we see on moorings as we head out from our go-to launch location with the Aerotec.
I rescued a 20ft hurley signet off the mudflats in Bideford. Spent 2 years tidying it up. It's a great little boat for 2 people and can still be towed on its trailer. My advice would be to get the largest boat that is still towable. So that would be a hurley 22 or hurley 24/70. They are rock solid. The 22is my favourite boat and i'll trade up to one at some point. They still use a little outboard but in a lockable well. Many of them have done the atlantic and at least one has done the pacific too. They have an absurd amount of ballast in them which makes for a very solid ride in heavy weather. And in my experience, the bigger the boat the less it gets used.
Old 28 March 2023, 13:32   #13
RIBnet admin team

Had to look the Signet up but very similar to the bilge keeler dad had when I was about 8, the first boat we could overnight on. Bit cramped for parents and two kids but we had great fun. Tiny stove, no-where to store much and the "facilities" were ... as we said... bucket and chuck it. Towed a ply pram dinghy behind with a small Seagull. That dinghy was the first small craft I was allowed to use alone.