Old 06 June 2024, 18:30   #21
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I agree a T38 is a bit of a go-to SIB. I've been advising them for a decade. The only real negative I hear is they are a bit of a lump to pack away and folks rarely make the repack to anything like the as-new pack dimensions.

Pic is my 3.8 on the shelf in the garage. The dog lifejacket gives an idea of scale. We take the air floor out when packing away just to make lifting easier for my 68yr old back.

We are all different in our needs/wishes for sibbing but I want any outfit of mine to fit in the car loadspace with the rear seats still in use, or at least largely usable so I can seat two rear seat folks. So far with a variety of hatchbacks/estates over 15yrs this need's been met. I don't want to be speed limited by trailer or van.

Bear in mind the T38 has an integral air floor so can't be removed unlike many. Also that feature means any water you ship is about your, and the dog's, feet. Those with a separate air floor will often cope with an outing's worth of spray sitting unnoticed between air floor and outer material. Not a deal breaker but worth knowing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Packed Aerotec.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	145153  
Old 06 June 2024, 19:23   #22

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Also that feature means any water you ship is about your, and the dog's, feet. Those with a separate air floor will often cope with an outing's worth of spray sitting unnoticed between air floor and outer material. Not a deal breaker but worth knowing.
You know I'd not noticed that David
Old 06 June 2024, 19:58   #23

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Also that feature means any water you ship is about your, and the dog's, feet. Those with a separate air floor will often cope with an outing's worth of spray sitting unnoticed between air floor and outer material. Not a deal breaker but worth knowing.
I would say that is one positive with the wide ever so slightly curved floor on the Volaire…that the water runs away from the middle, so leaves a relatively dry boat in all but the most extreme conditions I’ve been in so far.
Just such a shame it’s such a heavy bulky beast, and really needs the 20hp to power it on, or even better a 25hp
Old 06 June 2024, 20:53   #24

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Honda BF15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker_Medic View Post
Cheers mate great help! With the 380 what sort of HP would be best?
Personally, I run a Honda 15hp 4 stroke and it does the job just fine, though I do feel like I could do with a little more power on it at times when I have a couple of others and gear onboard. I think the outboard weighs about 55-60KG. I'm currently considering a 15hp 2-stroke Yamaha that obviously has the same power, but is a lot lighter. If you want portability, then a good used 2-stroke is probably the way to go. They're significantly lighter than 4-strokes so throwing them in the boot or even on a roof rack is a breeze. You'll be limited by the rating on the boat also, so keep that in mind.
Old 06 June 2024, 22:01   #25

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
I’ve posted most of my thoughts in the ‘Which SIB’ sticky but as David (Fen’) said the basic summary is a 3.4 to 3.8 with a 15 hp 2 stroke is the most Goldilocks choice for *most* people and as always get a used outfit to try first. Air floor for convenience and portability, solid floor if it can work for you. V floor is a much misused description by manufacturers and only the Aerotec and to a lesser extent the scarce Y Class has a *real* meaningful V floor that means they handle and give you confidence and capability in a typical UK sea (ie F3/4) unlike the vast majority of SIBs which skate and skim on the surface and slam in waves especially in a head sea.
Old 07 June 2024, 04:49   #26

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
I have many boats including 7 sibs. My recommendation would be the Honwave T38 ie 3 with a 15 hp 2 stroke outboard. I have used this combo and many other combos for a long while. There are many videos of us setting this up and using it in various locations on our You Tube channel.

The boatworld air v floor is a copy of this boat but not as good and the price difference is not worth the lesser boat.

Here is an example of ours in use. Many many more on our channel ��

Old 07 June 2024, 13:42   #27

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Engine: 2 stroke 25hp
MMSI: 235933026
It's not the lift it's the shape of them, outboards are awkward shapes and have no real decent handling points. Suppose you could devise a lifting device, I have seen canoes using one.
Old 07 June 2024, 13:57   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker View Post
It's not the lift it's the shape of them, outboards are awkward shapes and have no real decent handling points. Suppose you could devise a lifting device, I have seen canoes using one.
I actually find it's a more straightforward lift to the roof than to get it into the back of a car tbh.

Lots of people will use Thule SlideBars for canoes and the likes. I'm not a big fan of them, personally. They're much louder at motorway speeds than the WingBar.
Old 07 June 2024, 15:21   #29

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by User name View Post
If you can't lift the equivalent of a 9 or 10 year old child to your roof rack then you're probably not the average fit and healthy person.
Aye! but 10 year old children are soft, squidgy & co-operative, and tend to be evenly weighted.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 June 2024, 16:33   #30

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Aye! but 10 year old children are soft, squidgy & co-operative, and tend to be evenly weighted.
Yip, and it tends to get you arrested in these parts….especially if it’s not your own one
Old 07 June 2024, 19:28   #31

Town: Lancaster
Length: under 3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
......roof rack then you're probably not the average fit and healthy person......

Guess you must be right.

I don't mind admitting that I would not find lifting a 37kg outboard onto a roof rack a "breeze" as you put it.

Now where did I put my Zimmer and ciggies?
I wouldn't even attempt it and I really can't see many folk thinking about it either
Old 07 June 2024, 19:37   #32

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Hi Biker- Medic, just a thought. I know you've said your not interested in having a small Rib on your drive, but have you thought about storing it at Linnhe Marina or Ballachulish Marina (if they now do it)
If I lived where you are I wouldn't hesitate to have a small Rib.
Old 07 June 2024, 21:54   #33

Quote:
This reads like a transcript of a police interview.
Old 08 June 2024, 09:43   #34

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by User name View Post
This reads like a transcript of a police interview.
"No Comment"
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 June 2024, 10:57   #35
RIBnet admin team

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Makes them very tricky to cinch down properly with a ratchet strap...
Old 09 June 2024, 13:03   #36

Hi All!

Sorry for the lack of replies been on 4 night shifts on the ambulances which have been pretty busy so knackered!

Thanks for all your replies really helpful with lots to think about!

I know the ideal would be a RIB either on the drive or either local marinas but tbh I want something that can be packed away when not in use as we won't be using it all the time due to full time shift work and also holiday let attached to the house!

There is a Boatworld 380 with accessories and 12hp orca outboard 2 years old locally for £2000 appears in good order both brought from new from boat world and the 380 looks a good size.

Or we can get reconditioned through boat world or new cant decide! Like the idea of having a decent guarantee and paying a little extra!
Old 09 June 2024, 13:07   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
You need a Honwave T38 or an Elling KB 350

And I just happen to know someone selling the very things 😎

In Scotland too 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
Interesting!
Old 09 June 2024, 13:28   #38

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker_Medic View Post

There is a Boatworld 380 with accessories and 12hp orca outboard 2 years old locally for £2000 appears in good order both brought from new from boat world and the 380 looks a good size.

Can't speak for the boat but the engine is a neither here nor there size and a no-name brand. Wait for a nice established big name boat/engine (3.4 to 3.8 with a minimum 15hp) to come up close to home. Like the one just flagged up on the eBay topic.

Will do all you need and if SIBing is not for you (as many find out very quickly the expensive way) - it will easily sell for the same money (if bought at the right price) to someone else.
Old 09 June 2024, 14:04   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Can't speak for the boat but the engine is a neither here nor there size and a no-name brand. Wait for a nice established big name boat/engine (3.4 to 3.8 with a minimum 15hp) to come up close to home. Like the one just flagged up on the eBay topic.

Will do all you need and if SIBing is not for you (as many find out very quickly the expensive way) - it will easily sell for the same money (if bought at the right price) to someone else.
Good advice mate thank you, if its the one in Chester looks lovely just along way away from the Highlands!
Old 10 June 2024, 06:36   #40

Town: Colchester
If this is still available it is a bargain

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...type=top_picks

Tags
sib