Old 11 March 2006, 23:50   #1

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Sib Launch and recovery dilemma

The main reason or buying a SIB was easy launching and transporting and no need for a trailer .

However for regular use in the summer pumping it up at the slip each day and then deflating again is a bit of a chore .
I use my Transit but lifting it onto the roof is hard enough for 2 men and impossible for my wife or me alone .

Launching so far has been ok using my canoe trolley but recovery especially at low water is not so easy as i have to wade in and lift off the motor so that we can lift the boat out .

I feel I may end up with a small purpose made road trailer but then parking can become a problem especially in Cornwall in the summer .

Any advice or ideas on how other sib owners have overcome these problems would be welcome , ie easy system of roof topping the boat onto a van or better still a decent launching trolley that would fold up and store in the van or be supportive enough to ride on top of my box trailer should I wish to use it that way .
My boat is a 3.8 honda so its big enough to lift especially if iam alone .
Old 12 March 2006, 03:32   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
First thing you need is a decent set of launching wheels - the kind that fit to the transom and swing up out of the way when you are at sea.

Surely with a Transit the thing should be inside - not on the roof? An estate car with a roof rack may be what you need.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0263 (Small).JPG
Views:	322
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	17868   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0193 (Small).JPG
Views:	365
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	17869   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0188 (Small).JPG
Views:	391
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	17870  
Old 12 March 2006, 05:41   #3

Town: Wrexham. North Wales
Boat name: FOG DUCKER
Make: OSPREY.
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
First thing you need is a decent set of launching wheels - the kind that fit to the transom and swing up out of the way when you are at sea.

Surely with a Transit the thing should be inside - not on the roof? An estate car with a roof rack may be what you need.
YEP I agree, OR have you considered using the type of combi trailer that the sailing dinghy dudes use, you have a road going trailer, with a launching trailer riding piggy back with your boat sat on top, with a quick realese the launching trolley comes free complete with your sib, also you can adjust the trailers to suit your hull
They also take up no room at all, or I have seen folding trailers.
Old 12 March 2006, 07:34   #4

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
couple of hints here

get an electronic inflator, even the cheap yellow ones for around 6-7 quid work great and put the bulk of the air in the tubes so you just need to top it up with the pump, i use the cheap yellow ones which i have adapted

then for wheels on the transom, i have used 4 different sorts of wheels and the type of wheel makes a huge difference believe me, i have probably the most expensive ones i saw now, the arm curves under the transom at the rear and gives perfect balance, they cost around 120 per pair but worth every single penny when you have to pull up a sandy beach.

i will post some pics if you like, they are the best wheels i have had and used if it helps you..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes
The main reason or buying a SIB was easy launching and transporting and no need for a trailer .

However for regular use in the summer pumping it up at the slip each day and then deflating again is a bit of a chore .
I use my Transit but lifting it onto the roof is hard enough for 2 men and impossible for my wife or me alone .

Launching so far has been ok using my canoe trolley but recovery especially at low water is not so easy as i have to wade in and lift off the motor so that we can lift the boat out .

I feel I may end up with a small purpose made road trailer but then parking can become a problem especially in Cornwall in the summer .

Any advice or ideas on how other sib owners have overcome these problems would be welcome , ie easy system of roof topping the boat onto a van or better still a decent launching trolley that would fold up and store in the van or be supportive enough to ride on top of my box trailer should I wish to use it that way .
My boat is a 3.8 honda so its big enough to lift especially if iam alone .
Old 12 March 2006, 08:14   #5

Town: London
Make: Larson
Length: 7m +
Engine: Volvo D4 260hp DP
Get an LVM inflator/deflator, it will blow that up in 2 minutes or less and when you have finished it will suck it down, with some careful folding as it gets sucked down it will be in a nice small package.

see here :- http://www.seamarknunn.co.uk/catalog/items/item1104.htm

Buy one of those cheap battery booster boxes to attach the LVM to, it can also be used for loads of other purposes.

see here :- http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...l%26homeRef%3D

I use this system for my tender and it works very well for me, inflates a 2.6 Zodiac in less than a minute, Good luck!
Old 12 March 2006, 08:33   #6

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
The problem with the air-floor Hondas is that they have two large buoyancy pads at the bottom of the transom to enable the boat to operate with the heavier 4-stroke outboards (specifically Honda of course). There is therefore no room to mount any launching wheels, permanent or otherwise. If you really don't want the hassle of a road trailer, your only real option will be one of these folding launching trolleys:

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/BMB369/

I remember when I bought my RibLite with the intention of folding it up and putting it in the car, the dealer told me 90% of people with SIBs end up trailering them around after getting bored with inflating and deflating them the whole time. I ended up buying a small Ifor Williams general purpose trailer which the Avon sits on fully inflated and leaves a handy load area underneath for all my gear.

Have no fear, you will eventually end up buying a RIB
Old 12 March 2006, 10:04   #7

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Engine: Honda 250hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteb
Get an LVM inflator/deflator
Phil Davies purchased one of these, he tells me it gets it mrs inflated in no time att all.
Old 12 March 2006, 10:08   #8

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
I heard a rumour that Phil has been a bit enthusiastic and Mrs Davies has a puncture!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2006, 11:35   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
Mrs Davies has a puncture!
No Pucture, all his previous girl friends tell me lets them down every night!
Old 12 March 2006, 11:38   #10

Old 12 March 2006, 11:50   #11

Town: London
Make: Larson
Length: 7m +
Engine: Volvo D4 260hp DP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono Garton
Phil Davies purchased one of these, he tells me it gets it mrs inflated in no time att all.
I am not sure whether you can direct the 'suction' to one particular area I hope he realises the power of it or he could do himself a mischief
Old 12 March 2006, 14:39   #12

Town: NE
Boat name: RedGazelle
Make: Gemini GRX420 SIB
Engine: Mariner 40 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon

then for wheels on the transom, i have used 4 different sorts of wheels and the type of wheel makes a huge difference believe me, i have probably the most expensive ones i saw now, the arm curves under the transom at the rear and gives perfect balance, they cost around 120 per pair but worth every single penny when you have to pull up a sandy beach.

i will post some pics if you like, they are the best wheels i have had and used if it helps you..
Hugh,
Would be grateful to see the pics and for any guidance. Have toyed with the idea of transom wheels for a few months, but have been put off as many seem quite flimsy.

Many thanks
Ed
Old 12 March 2006, 17:28   #13

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
I heard a rumour that Phil has been a bit enthusiastic and Mrs Davies has a puncture!
Nonsense, she's fully intact and for an Anglesey girl she scrubs up rather well, don't you think?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	445.jpeg
Views:	261
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	17883  
Old 12 March 2006, 17:46   #14

i will dig em out this evening and post a piccy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Duck
Hugh,
Would be grateful to see the pics and for any guidance. Have toyed with the idea of transom wheels for a few months, but have been put off as many seem quite flimsy.

Many thanks
Ed
Old 12 March 2006, 19:42   #15

Town: Fife
Make: valiant 490R
Engine: 75
i know a guy that just got the road base off a dinghy combi trailer, stripped it and welded the necaseries on it, works a treat
Old 12 March 2006, 20:19   #16

Quote from Phil The problem with the air-floor Hondas is that they have two large buoyancy pads at the bottom of the transom to enable the boat to operate with the heavier 4-stroke outboards (specifically Honda of course). There is therefore no room to mount any launching wheels, permanent or otherwise. If you really don't want the hassle of a road trailer, your only real option will be one of these folding launching trolleys:

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/BMB369/

I remember when I bought my RibLite with the intention of folding it up and putting it in the car, the dealer told me 90% of people with SIBs end up trailering them around after getting bored with inflating and deflating them the whole time. I ended up buying a small Ifor Williams general purpose trailer which the Avon sits on fully inflated and leaves a handy load area underneath for all my gear.

Have no fear, you will eventually end up buying a RIB

Glad someone understands here . Thanks Phil

Well I have got a new Bravo HPP pump whith the pressure setting , it even takes the floor to full pressure . Inflating and stowing in transit is ok but on those summer evenings when I just want an hour out with the Kid on a donut its still too much of a hasle and I know I won't bother .

Iam a 15 min drive from my nearest launch site , I have a small Ifor williams trailer Phil Please post me a pic of you sib on that trailer . I had thought of using that but it looked like the draw bar was too short for a 3.8m boat .

That launching trolley is great for just that but the boat couldn't be stored on it due to lack of support .

I guess Iam looking for the perfect solution , and there isn't one (thats me iam afraid) maybe a cradle on my ifor williams trailer and a launching trolley would be the answer . Just lift the boat onto the trolley and then fit the engine --- not easy on your own possible but a struggle .

Tell me one last thing before I drive you all mad ,For shorter road journeys and storage while in regular use would it be ok to leave the engine on the transom and fuel tank in the boat etc if I used a proper trailer like the indespension or the Degraff . I would then have all the choices and maybe get the trailer on the Transit roof when there is nowhere to park or on a cross chanell ferry .

Phil you are also probably right I will end up with a proper RIB as well as the sib I have been looking for a while , at Ceasar surfcat Zapcat and small RIB.s , but first i thought i would explore the capabilities of this Little Honda as its so light and economical both to run and buy plus easy to travel with iside the van and land on all my secret little beaches and snokeling spots that your average Landlubber Emmet can't get to
Thanks
Old 12 March 2006, 21:00   #17

Town: Wilmslow
Boat name: Serotonin
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes
There used to be a roof rack that had a section that you could slide out to the side of the car one end still attached to the rack the other end rests on the floor at the side of the car you then load the boat onto the rack and then lift and push the rack and boat back onto the roof of the car !!!!! I don't know if they still exist or if they even fit transits had a quick look on the Net but couldn't find anything, I'm sure Codders will find it if it still exists maybe the sailing dinghy crew will no more.
Old 12 March 2006, 21:18   #18

these are my launching wheels, when down the go under the boat which is perfect as they balance the boat just right. it is a 3.4 m quicksilver aerodeck with a 15 yam. i used to have straight arm wheel assemblies with smaller diameter wheels and they were a pain to pull on a bombard 3.4 aerodeck. these wheels are larger and wider which makes pulling the boat up steep soft sand a possibility for one person!

cup to allow you to reference the size of the wheel

hope that helps

i put the wheels down and the click into place on a bracket, i push the boat out and start the engine, i then troll away from the shallows and then lean over and rotate then upwards so they are beside the engine, they dont get in the way either, then off we go

coming in is easy

just before i hit shallow water i lean over the back and lower the wheels, i then tilt the engine back 1-2 clicks and drive into the shallows until the wheels ground on the bottom as i hop off the front, then just pick the front up and walk up the slipway or beach....easy peasy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wheels for the sib.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	17890  
Old 12 March 2006, 22:43   #19

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Duck
Hugh,

Many thanks
Ed
And if you want to see them in action look at the pics I posted - exactly the same.
Old 13 March 2006, 00:33   #20

These would be ideal exept the honda has an extended floor beyond the transom so no wheels can be fitted .
My Eckla canoe trolley gets me to the water but not out .

There is a De Graff trailer in another post anyone got any info on that , it looks good , more money than I wanted to spend but if it suppprts the outboard so it can stay on the boat for short trips then it could be worth it for me .