Old 13 April 2024, 13:50   #41

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
I would try the 8hp first and see how it goes but is it not thecase that the 8hp is an uprated 6hp and cannot go higher than 8hp ?
Old 13 April 2024, 14:52   #42

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukflyer View Post
I’m in the process of buying the Excel Volanté 330 and a Parsun 8hp 4 stroke. I am pondering on changing the carb, so that it will be 9.8hp. Is it worth this upgrade or will 8hp be adequate for me, 160kg and my son, 60kg? Thanks.
Hi and welcome, you don't say if it's a new or used 8hp Parsun? If it's new I definitely wouldn't change the carb, you'd invalidate the warranty straight away. If it's used I'd wait and see how it performs before considering a change.
I have to ask, why a Parson? Not an outboard that would be my first choice, but maybe that says more about me.

Now this next bit my sound a bit rude, but if your figures above are correct, I think an SD330 with anything less than a 15hp outboard is going to struggle with over 35 stone in it.
Old 13 April 2024, 23:52   #43

Town: Horsham
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easedalenovice View Post
I would try the 8hp first and see how it goes but is it not thecase that the 8hp is an uprated 6hp and cannot go higher than 8hp ?
The 8hp and 9.8 are the same weight, same cc, and I have been told by the salesman that the difference between the two is just the carb.
Old 13 April 2024, 23:56   #44

Town: Horsham
Length: no boat
I appreciate that a 15hp would perform better but my constraints of the weight to lift (I’m not young any more) and size to fit in a Focus sized hatchback, mean that a 38kg motor is about maximum I can handle. If it cannot plane and we have to chug around at displacement speeds, then so be it.
Parsun because, as a casual fair weather boater, I cannot justify the extra cost of a name brand motor.
Old 14 April 2024, 01:23   #45

I notice that those Parsun outboards have a no quibble warranty and don’t require dealer servicing to keep the warranty which must mean you can work on it yourself.

I would not worry too much about the warranty for those reasons and also if you had an issue you could just put the 8hp carb back on or if you buy the 9.8 hp carb from a dealer it might be fine warranty wise
Old 14 April 2024, 01:34   #46

Looks like the 9.8 carb is only about £50 (See link below) so why not give it a go if it is indeed just a carb swap and nowt else to do

https://componentauthority.com/produ...iABEgJlC_D_BwE
Old 14 April 2024, 20:09   #47

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukflyer View Post
I appreciate that a 15hp would perform better but my constraints of the weight to lift (I’m not young any more) and size to fit in a Focus sized hatchback, mean that a 38kg motor is about maximum I can handle. If it cannot plane and we have to chug around at displacement speeds, then so be it.
Parsun because, as a casual fair weather boater, I cannot justify the extra cost of a name brand motor.
Maybe a good used 15hp 2 stroke would fit the bill?

Tags
sib