Old 14 July 2009, 23:18   #1

Town: burnley
Boat name: maddison
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Length: 4m +
Engine: 25hp mariner 2 st
Send a message via MSN to zodiacman
Skye to Tarbert local help

I'm taking my boat up to Skye this weekend and hoping to get to the Outer Hebrides. Setting off from Sconser and following the coast north camping on Fladda Chuain then the Shiants and then across to Tarbert. There are four of us going in two boats both 4.2m zodiac sibs. Would like any info from locals who may have done this trip especially beach access on both islands and also local weather for this area as its a 400 mile tow just to get to Sconser, wet I can handle wind I cant so if you local boys say its going to be to windy ( above F5 Im not setting off. cheers
Old 16 July 2009, 21:10   #2

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Dont think I would do it in mine which is the same but good luck.
Old 16 July 2009, 22:05   #3

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Shiants are a challenge often , even on the best of days, Ive done them once only due to their remoteness, theres only a couple of places in all the islands you can anchor due to tides, streams and weather.. the minch washes a lot of water past these Islands .. but I guess you'll be landing

Advice .. if you come all this way dont go expecting it easy .. I've come from the mainland and we had our work cut out for us even on a good day with a 8 meter boat .. seas ,BIG tidal races, rain, fog, and thats when its settled

As a skipper .. I has me me thoughts .. but I'd choose my weather moment very carefully if I were you, even from Skye

And watch out for the black rats .. get the book 'sea room' it'll fill you in
Old 16 July 2009, 22:33   #4

Town: INVERURIE
Boat name: Ranger
Make: Ribcraft 5.45
Engine: 90 HP Outboard
MMSI: 235010772
The weather for the weekend on the west coast don’t loook great
http://www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/forecast
Old 17 July 2009, 12:38   #5

Thanks for your input. We have made the decision to go I know its not going to be easy, if it was everybody would be doing it. We are all well kitted out VHF, GPS flares, dry suits, beer We will set off from Sconser on Sunday hug the coast and head for Kilmaluag Bay 30m, should get some shelter from the predicted NW f4. Monday have a look round Trodday and Fladda and if the weather ok make the 11m crossing to Shiants camping overnight(with the black rats) then Tuesday head for Scalpay 11m crossing camp overnight then head back the way we came Or knowing the Scottish weather we will sit in our tents on skye for a week and get pissed inside and out. Will let you know how I get on.
cheers Zodiacman
Old 17 July 2009, 17:15   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiacman View Post
Thanks for your input. We have made the decision to go I know its not going to be easy, if it was everybody would be doing it. We are all well kitted out VHF, GPS flares, dry suits, beer We will set off from Sconser on Sunday hug the coast and head for Kilmaluag Bay 30m, should get some shelter from the predicted NW f4. Monday have a look round Trodday and Fladda and if the weather ok make the 11m crossing to Shiants camping overnight(with the black rats) then Tuesday head for Scalpay 11m crossing camp overnight then head back the way we came Or knowing the Scottish weather we will sit in our tents on skye for a week and get pissed inside and out. Will let you know how I get on.
cheers Zodiacman
Well Good luck Zodiacman I hope you get to the Shiants and get a good chance to look around, they are very interesting and a group that one feels 'has' to be conquered and crossed off the list I'm sure you know where I'm coming from . Couple of photos to wet your appetite attached

On the other side of the cave is the best anchorage, (just round the point) between the Islands, of Garbh Eilean and Eilean an Taighe big stoney, fairly steep spit beach, and on the other side of the beach there should be some remnants of settlers and crofters who last crofted on this Island on Eilean an Taighe if you go for a wander, a yacht might come in here and join you, so if you want solitute, you'll need to go elsewhere, but that will depend on the sea when you get there as there isnt too many options, and little beach areas.

look forward to some photos
Old 17 July 2009, 17:19   #7

Doh .. forgot the photos Notice some familiar geology ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010149.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	44068   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010160.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	44069  
Old 17 July 2009, 18:20   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Doh .. forgot the photos Notice some familiar geology ?
Yes same geology as the summer isles. If we get weather like we did up there last year it would be fantastic, but you know the chances of that are very slim. I took the boat up to Kinloch hourn this year at the end of May and only got out for about 4hours ended up driving back down to north Wales 900 mile round trip towing a boat just to get some decent weather. But its better than sitting around waiting to catch swine flu
Old 17 July 2009, 18:39   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiacman View Post
Yes same geology as the summer isles.
No .. different

Look closer at the rock in the 1st photo .. now think giants causway, staffa, south side of Ailsa Craig .. and yes all the way up to the shiants

Photo of Ailsa craig attached from my last trip there for your reference
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7090554.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	44071