Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs
Click Here to Login

Old 07 May 2022, 20:29   #1

Town: Llantwit Fardre, Pontypri
Boat name: Zodiac
Make: Zodiac Cadet
Length: 3m +
Engine: Evinrude 9.9hp
Suzuki 15hp 4 stroke 2006 or Mariner 15hp 2stroke (older)

Conundrum....pros and cons of the above please? Both seem good runners and I'm not sure but their weight seems pretty close ....prices are similar so that's not in consideration thoughts or advice please
Thanks in advance
Old 07 May 2022, 22:26   #2

I think it boils down to how you use it. If you're going to stick it on a boat and leave it there then the 4 stroke is generally going to be easier. No fuel mixing, better economy and quieter. But if you're going to be lifting it in and out of a car, on and off a boat, in and out of the garage then it's 2 stroke all day long for me. A 15hp 2s is usually smaller so easier to sling aboit and typically about 10kg lighter and easy enough to lift with one hand.

Usually a 15hp 2s is about 35kg and a 15hp 4s around 45kg. Also, the 4s is usually a detuned 20 so you have all the weight and size but less poke than you could get for the same graft.

If the 15 2s is as heavy as a 4s then I'd go 4s. I like the power of a 2s and the simplicity but for the same hassle I'd go for the quieter, smoother 4s.
Old 07 May 2022, 23:04   #3
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Yes as TM mentions... weight is key. If you are always lifting on and off for a daily setup the 10kg saving of the 2-stroke is really worthwhile. If you are super able or using a trailer that advantage of the 2-stroke is not important.

The 4 stroke will use less fuel. Probably on a good day out where a 25l tank would have been sensible on the 2-stroke the 4-stroke would be OK on a 12l tank plus 5l reserve can.

The 4 stroke will be quieter at trolling speeds but for me I find them little different at speed to a 2-stroke... just a different character or sound. The 2-stroke will likely be a little smoother.

Maintenance less on the 2-stroke and you avoid the fiddly 4-yr timing belt replacement of the 4-stroke.

Reliability probably broadly the same.

The Mariner will probably have the gearchange integrated with throttle arrangement. You may like, hate or be indifferent to this.

Very important though is their condition and how much you trust the seller of them.

I wonder how much older the Mariner is... not any older than around 2001 if it's the same price.

Note: Just ensure the Mariner is the usual 15hp 2-stroke weighing 35kg or so. There was a version rarely seen in the UK that weighed 41kg which negates much of the weight advantage.
Old 09 May 2022, 06:20   #4

Town: Leicester
Make: Yam
I am saying 2 stroke as well. I actually sold a new 15hp 4 stroke to buy a much older 15hp 2 stroke, the 4 stroke was just too heavy (51kg) and actually upset the handling of a small SIB (3.1m). The 2 stroke is brilliant.

I'd double check the weights, as I'd be surprised if they are similar. I think some of the early 4 strokes were particularly heavy. 10kg is a big difference, both in terms of lifting on and off and also boat performance.
Old 09 May 2022, 08:52   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
I have the Suzuki DF20 which is the same engine as the 15. It’s a lump to manhandle & at the limit of what I can manage, & I’m relatively fit & strong. I’d be surprised if the 15 yam was as heavy.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2022, 09:47   #6

Most of the modern 15 4s units are detuned 20hp motors so weigh in around the 43-46kg in basic form. Usually the 15 2s engines are the peak output of the smaller blocks, where the 10hp is the detuned same version etc and these typically seem to weigh in around 35kg.

For me, as much as I'd like a 20hp 4s (can't see the purpose in the 15, given it's the same weight) the 10kg saving of the 15 2s is a godsend.
Old 09 May 2022, 10:09   #7

Most of the modern 15 4s units are detuned 20hp motors so weigh in around the 43-46kg in basic form. Usually the 15 2s engines are the peak output of the smaller blocks, where the 10hp is the detuned same version etc and these typically seem to weigh in around 35kg.

For me, as much as I'd like a 20hp 4s (can't see the purpose in the 15, given it's the same weight) the 10kg saving of the 15 2s is a godsend.
Old 09 May 2022, 20:00   #8

Town: Llantwit Fardre, Pontypri
Boat name: Zodiac
Make: Zodiac Cadet
Engine: Evinrude 9.9hp
Thanks folks, plenty to ponder over!

Tags
mariner, suzuki