Old 30 August 2023, 11:21   #1

Town: Worcs-West Mids border
Boat name: .
Make: .
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 20HP EFI
Tiller use - dominant or non-dominant hand?

(A comment on another thread by Old Seahorse prompted this post).

When you're sailing, because you're constantly changing which side of the boat you're sitting on, you're also changing which hand you have on the tiller.

But on a powerboat, you can choose which hand to use. When I did PB2, I was told to use my non-dominant (left) hand and sit on the starboard side of the boat. I'm not sure that it's actually the more intuitive of the two sides for me though, especially in terms of twisting the tiller to operate the throttle - I'm twisting TOWARDS me to go faster, which seems wrong. Both kids are right-handed too, and they choose to use their right hands on the tiller.

What preferences do members have? I can't actually remember why my PB2 instructor said I should use my non-dominant hand - any ideas why he might have done so?
Old 30 August 2023, 11:33   #2
RIBnet admin team

Length: 4m +
When you're sailing, you're not operating the throttle and tiller input may not have an immediate effect.

TBH, I don't think it matters which side you choose - but I'd suggest sticking with it once you're sure it's right for you. "Muscle memory" will determine your throttle input in an emergency situation and you want that to be consistent.
Old 30 August 2023, 11:44   #3

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Honda BF15
The position of the tiller on most outboards leaves more room for the operator to sit on the starboard side.
I think I have a slight preference for operating the tiller with my right though, and I am left-handed. Twisting towards me maybe feels a bit more natural (like a motorbike), but back when I first used outboards the throttle was on the engine itself, so maybe that's why I'm not fussy.
Old 30 August 2023, 12:06   #4

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
I was told, and I dont know if it's correct, it is best to sit on the starboard and hold the tiller with your left hand as your weight will counteract the clockward / downward spin of the prop and your sib/boat will sit flatter in the water.
Old 30 August 2023, 12:37   #5

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Tiller use - dominant or non-dominant hand?

I suppose it doesn’t really matter in the overall scope of things and boils down to what you’re most comfortable with.

Must admit I sit on the starboard side with tiller in left hand even though right handed. As mentioned above most outboards have the tiller on the port side and designed to be operated left handed. Also sitting to starboard does help counteract the rotational torque of the prop lifting the starboard side. It all feels right with more room to swing the tiller to starboard.

It also leaves your dominant right hand free to hold on, or perhaps more importantly, answer phone, take pics, eat your sarnies etc. etc. [emoji3]
Old 30 August 2023, 15:10   #6
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>It all feels right with more room to swing the tiller to starboard.

Yep that's my view... sitting to port means the tiller is more likely to pull into your body on a tight turn causing you to lean backwards off the tube.

Anyway after 61yrs on the tiller too late to change. When I used the seat I still offset a little to starboard and get Mrs F to offset a bit the other way. She loves the call to shift a bit to the left... a bit more... a bit more... no not that much... and so on.
Old 30 August 2023, 15:44   #7

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Been a few years since...

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/what-s...tml#post560416
Old 30 August 2023, 16:50   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Yes - I did expect that it was a question that had been asked before. Sorry for my lack of originality - and thanks for the links to the previous iterations.
Old 30 August 2023, 16:59   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
sitting to starboard does help counteract the rotational torque of the prop lifting the starboard side.
A side-question for sailers:
In a dinghy, heeling to starboard steers the boat to port, and vice versa. I think this is to do with the shape of the hull as opposed to a twisting moment produced by the sails. Do you get the same effect in a powerboat? I can't see why you shouldn't.
Old 30 August 2023, 17:20   #10

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trello View Post
Yes - I did expect that it was a question that had been asked before. Sorry for my lack of originality - and thanks for the links to the previous iterations.
Not at all - there are lots of common questions that come up all the time year after year as new people come (and go) but things and opinions change and every forum needs a constant flow of new members with questions new or old...
Old 30 August 2023, 17:24   #11

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
Interesting. The hull design is very different where a mono sailing hull is designed to operate somewhat healed over - and modern designs even move the centre of buoyancy to leeward as the hull heels to provide improved righting moment. Powerboat hulls are quite different as they're using the spray rails to augment the lift and provide righting moment. So you tend to find a powerboat as it increases speed is sort of sitting on a set of spray rails. And as you go faster, the chine or outer sprays rails may eventually be clear of the water. And when the inner spray rails start to lift clear, that's when you start to get chinewalking - and either learn to drive it that way, or that's when a pad on the bottom of the V becomes useful.

So I don't really know the answer definatively, which means this is a good question I will research a bit more, but more load on one side will produce more wetted surface area in some fashion, so yes is the answer I think, but I don't know if it'd be enough that you'd notice amongst all the other "dynamic" stuff going on.
Old 30 August 2023, 18:35   #12

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Not sure which is my dominant hand. I throw harder with my right, but more accurate with my left, and use them interchangeably *shrugs*

When I had a SIB, the driver sat on the starboard tube as the fuel tank was on the port side, along with the electronics tower. Worked for me and always good to hang onto the wakeboard handle tied to the port forward ring with your stronger arm. The wakeboard handle is key to staying in the boat during rough conditions.
Old 30 August 2023, 19:09   #13

Town: Frinton-on-Sea
Boat name: RibRoulete
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 150 FBW
MMSI: 232043399
The RYA & RNLI way (D class) is left hand but the surf dudes in the Arnacias are all left handed and the boat is set up to be like that too.

All comes down to personal preference or the way the boat is set up.
Old 01 September 2023, 12:54   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Interesting. The hull design is very different where a mono sailing hull is designed to operate somewhat healed over - and modern designs even move the centre of buoyancy to leeward as the hull heels to provide improved righting moment. Powerboat hulls are quite different as they're using the spray rails to augment the lift and provide righting moment. So you tend to find a powerboat as it increases speed is sort of sitting on a set of spray rails. And as you go faster, the chine or outer sprays rails may eventually be clear of the water. And when the inner spray rails start to lift clear, that's when you start to get chinewalking - and either learn to drive it that way, or that's when a pad on the bottom of the V becomes useful.

So I don't really know the answer definatively, which means this is a good question I will research a bit more, but more load on one side will produce more wetted surface area in some fashion, so yes is the answer I think, but I don't know if it'd be enough that you'd notice amongst all the other "dynamic" stuff going on.
I guess it would be reasonably straightforward to test: flat water with no wind, keep the tiller straight and make sure you're keeping a straight course - and then everyone moves over to one side of the boat and see what happens.
Old 01 September 2023, 15:56   #15
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trello View Post
I guess it would be reasonably straightforward to test: flat water with no wind, keep the tiller straight and make sure you're keeping a straight course - and then everyone moves over to one side of the boat and see what happens.
You can steer a sib/rib like this. I've always assumed it was more drag on one side than the other.

In terms of the OP's question - I don't think its a dominant hand question (Not all PB instructors know as much as they like to give the impression!). Many outboards have a gear level on the side that you need to access so it usually makes sense to sit that side, which then makes it obvious which hand to use.