Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I reckon you’ve 2 ways of looking at this.
1, Stick a cheap Chinese clone engine on the back of your cheap boat (an when I say cheap boat, I mean it literally not in any derogatory way), try it all for a season, see if boating is for you & either sell up or move up at the end of the season. If you decide you don’t want to continue, there’s no great loss & you’ll get most of your money back.
2, buy a decent 2nd hand engine with an eye to swapping the boat & putting your engine on the next boat. The downside of this, is that you will be looking for a boat that will suit your engine & this can be limiting.

I’d be tempted, and I never thought I’d hear myself say this, to go for the cheap & cheerful option 1, unless you get extremely lucky & drop on a unicorn 9.8 Twatsu.

Wow Dave I had you all wrong
Old 13 April 2022, 23:09   #22

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Wow Dave I had you all wrong

I’m softening in my old age🥴
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 23:28   #23

Town: Leicester
Make: Yam
Length: 3m +
There is a 9.9 Yamaha 2 stroke on Facebook marketplace which looks clean. That can be made to a 15hp in about 10 minutes by removing the rev limiter and adjusting the Reed valves. So you could use it at 9.9 to learn and then add more power later on.
Old 14 April 2022, 07:53   #24

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Hi Livewire.

Think if you take a look at PK's review of a 3.3 mtr sib and a 6hp outboard, it will............................................ .
Sorry Livewater,

Bloody predictive text!!!!!
Old 14 April 2022, 10:30   #25
Spammer

https://streamable.com/ulzr8l

Cheap Chinese SIB (under 100 lbs)
1998 Evinrude 9.9 (72 lbs)
6 Liters of fuel
Old 14 April 2022, 19:31   #26
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Well that Yamaha 8hp I linked a few posts above just finished at £620. Assuming it passed due diligence questions pre-bidding it was a great deal in this climate.
Old 14 April 2022, 20:19   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Well that Yamaha 8hp I linked a few posts above just finished at £620. Assuming it passed due diligence questions pre-bidding it was a great deal in this climate.
I was watching the auction end and it was £520 until the very last second, I even thought about bidding at one stage it seemed so cheap.
Old 14 April 2022, 21:29   #28
RIBnet admin team

I know same here but I was so hopeful Livewater was the buyer even if he didn't appear to be feeling the love for it.

I reckon with the ugly looking remote brackets removed, a clean/polish and the prop fettled/sprayed that will look a smart motor.
Old 15 April 2022, 21:01   #29

I didn't bid on this one unfortunately, is £620 cheap, Reasonable? Do you take into account that there might be a few hundred of work to do on on like that?

I've noticed a few more same ones pop up too which seem like better condition?

To be quite honest, the lack of prior information or any servicing on that one put me off considering I know nothing. Especially when fenlander said to ask the usual pre bidding questions etc and I thought to myself, 'ive got a bit more learning to do', as I just could not think of good questions and I do not like feeling so ill-informed.

I do see some value in having a warrantied outboard, so will pm Chipko so see if we can agree on a price.

However, I'm starting to reconsider why I'm not just finding a 9.8 or 15 2 stroke right away.

What does everyone actually consider; cheap, reasonable, and expensive for a used, but good condition and recently serviced:

Tohatsu 9.8
15hp Yamaha/mercury/mariner?

What have people that have got them paid for used ones pre-cov prices?

Hopefully knowing the cost of the holy grails and what people think is reasonable can help me decide if it's worth just stumping up now...

Quote:
I know same here but I was so hopeful Livewater was the buyer even if he didn't appear to be feeling the love for it.

I reckon with the ugly looking remote brackets removed, a clean/polish and the prop fettled/sprayed that will look a smart motor.
Old 15 April 2022, 21:23   #30

Town: chorley
Boat name: CAL
Make: Jago
Engine: Outboard 6hp
@livewater
Where are you based?
Old 15 April 2022, 21:26   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewater View Post
However, I'm starting to reconsider why I'm not just finding a 9.8 or 15 2 stroke right away.

Hopefully knowing the cost of the holy grails and what people think is reasonable can help me decide if it's worth just stumping up now...
You've answered the reason why your not finding a 9.8 or 15hp 2 stroke right away in your last paragraph, "holy grails"!
Good condition used 9.8hp or 15hp 2 strokes are hard to come across and relatively expensive considering it will be a minimum of 10 years old. Combine that with what I believe is (apologies if I'm wrong) a lack of mechanical experience and/or a reluctance to tinker/adapt an OB for your needs and you may find it very difficult to buy your "holy grail"
A 9.8hp 2 stroke Tohatsu, if you are lucky enough to find one, will be a minimum of £1200, and you will probably need to spend time and money servicing it once you've bought it.
If you don't know what you are looking for when buying a used OB (mechanically) either take someone with you who does, buy from a reputable/trusted seller or buy new.
Old 15 April 2022, 23:28   #32
RIBnet admin team

Yes... as Steve says.

When I looked at that Yamaha 8hp 2-stroke I already new they are well built motors and in leisure use very reliable. Even at 15+ years old I'd not expect it to need any more than spark plugs, a fuel filter, gear oil and an impellor. All routine 1 or 2 yearly service items and routine DIY stuff for me. Removing the remotes gear would have tidied it loads, the paintwork looked appropriate to age and under the cowl no signs of an problems. The prop needed hammering out against a wooden block and then a coat of spray white paint. No way would it need hundreds spending.

If I wanted such a motor I'd have bid to £800 perhaps £900 given that a Tohatsu 9.8 2-stroke would be a min of £1200 and recently a member paid £1500 to get one.

So yep if you are able to assess 99% from photos and asking questions then it would have been easy to buy with reasonable confidence.

However if that isn't your thing then indeed new or nearly new from a dealer is the way to go.... or Chipko's which will be as new and I'm sure good guys that they are Boatworld would transfer any remaining warranty.

You ask about pre-covid prices... not really any help as the world has changed but as an example...

Years ago I bought a used 2007 Tohatsu 9.8 2-stroke around three years old for about £800 from a dealer. By the time that motor was around nine years old its value would be creeping towards £950. At twelve years old it could have well fetched £1200 and now as I just mentioned perhaps as much as £1500. This is for a very clean example from a genuine seller.

15hp 2-strokes have followed a similar path at £100-£200 more.

Like Wazza asks... roughly where are you in the UK? If you were within reach of me you'd be welcome to come over and see, lift and start my Tohatsu 9.8 2-stroke plus chat through its servicing needs.
Old 15 April 2022, 23:49   #33
RIBnet admin team

If you want to see the price of a 15hp 2-stroke follow this very clean Yamaha. £1300 with 2 days to go.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165428757...Condition=3000

Or this Tohatsu 8hp starting at £1000...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304436923...Condition=3000
Old 16 April 2022, 06:21   #34

Town: Leicester
Make: Yam
Pre covid, there was a place selling mariner 2 strokes that were ex rnli and had been overhauled by barrus marine - £750!

I suspect you would be looking at close to 2k for those now.
Old 16 April 2022, 10:49   #35

Quote:
If you want to see the price of a 15hp 2-stroke follow this very clean Yamaha. £1300 with 2 days to go.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165428757...Condition=3000

Or this Tohatsu 8hp starting at £1000...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304436923...Condition=3000

Looking at the other things the Tohatsu seller has on eBay, it looks like he's got the same Costco sib.

I don't know where you live Livewater, but the guy is only a few miles from where I live. If you wanted me to go along with you to take a look just give me a shout. I think it's probably £100 too much, but he'll be open to offers.
Old 16 April 2022, 18:36   #36
RIBnet admin team

What I should know but don't is what change makes that Tohatsu 8hp into a 9.8 because they are the same basic motor... perhaps just carb and throttle stop?? I'll look into it.
Old 16 April 2022, 18:41   #37

Quote:
What I should know but don't is what change makes that Tohatsu 8hp into a 9.8 because they are the same basic motor... perhaps just carb and throttle stop?? I'll look into it.
Now that would be interesting to know.
Old 16 April 2022, 18:55   #38
RIBnet admin team

Research completed. Just two differences. The carb no surprise and a "coil stopper plate". The carbs are £125 new OE, £65 pattern on Amazon and even cheaper on Ebay from China. The coil stopper plate is under £5 from Tohatsu dealers. So actually all quite affordable whichever choice you make.

The coil stopper plate change will be either to allow a greater ign advance and/or greater revs as the 9.8 max revs are 500 more than the 8.

Interesting indeed.

Edit: Given the current prices of the 9.8s at £1200-£1500 even at the start price that 8 is sort of OK.
Old 16 April 2022, 19:32   #39
Spammer

Those prices are insane.
Old 16 April 2022, 19:44   #40

Town: chorley
Boat name: CAL
Make: Jago
Engine: Outboard 6hp
Yup crazy money.
I'm still trying to find a carb for a 15hp johnnyrude to upgrade mine from 9.9.
Thats the only downside to the johnyrudes from the 80's, some parts are getting hard to come by now.
That said, I paid 400 quid for it at the height of the price boom so I'm not complaining! �� ��

Tags
outboard, sib