Old 15 February 2024, 21:15   #1

Town: Bridport
Make: HydroForce
Length: 3m +
Toughening Keel

Looking at doing some beach launching as my car won’t take a towbar. What recommendations are there for some strips (perhaps repair patch type tape?) that I can add onto an inflatable keel for some added protection for shale beach launch/landing? Perhaps 3 or 4 layers of patching tape up the length of the keel to reinforce it - would that work?
Old 15 February 2024, 21:59   #2

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Doesn't your Sib already have a keel guard reinforcing strip?

Where are you launching from that the "shale" is that jagged/sharp that you feel you need extra protection?

I launch/land on all types of surfaces, but I've never felt the need to add extra reinforcing the keel. If you are launching with transom wheels the Sib should be fully in the water before you get in it, conversely when land the Sib should be fully in the water when you get out.
Old 15 February 2024, 22:11   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Doesn't your Sib already have a keel reinforcing strip?

Where are you launching that the "shale" is that jagged/sharp that you feel you need extra protection?

I launch/land on all types of surfaces, but I've never felt the need to add extra reinforcing the keel. If you are launching with transom wheels the Sib should be fully in the water before you get in it, conversely when land the Sib should be fully in the water when you get out.
Closest for me is chesil beach that is very littery at times with broken glass, plastic box shards, sometimes fishing lures left behind. Yes it’s got one strip already, but I’m thinking ahead to the worst case scenario of a wave plopping me down onto a sharp rock or broken bottle as I get in or out - or more likely, me dropping the whole thing while pulling it down down the beach!
Old 15 February 2024, 22:44   #4

Never launched from Chesil Beach, but I've walked along it and to be honest I wouldn't give launching/landing there a second thought, I didn't think it was bad, apart from transom wheels sinking in the shingle!
The problem I see with adding extra keel guards is weight and changing the profile of the keel, both of which could affect planing and handling.
I don't know of any sibber (I'll be shot down in flames now!) that has added extra keel guards.
I don't know how often I've launched and beached but I've never punctured the keel, yes a few nicks in the "hull" but not completely through the pvc. Are you maybe being a bit over cautious?
Old 15 February 2024, 22:48   #5

Quote:
Never launched from Chesil Beach, but I've walked along it and to be honest I wouldn't give launching/landing there a second thought, I didn't think it was bad, apart from transom wheels sinking in the shingle!
The problem I see with adding extra keel guards is weight and changing the profile of the keel, both of which could affect planing and handling.
I don't know of any sibber (I'll be shot down in flames now!) that has added extra keel guards.
I don't know how often I've launched and beached but I've never punctured the keel, yes a few nicks in the "hull" but not completely through the pvc. Are you maybe being a bit over cautious?
Quite possibly. I’m also in my experience particularly unlucky
Old 15 February 2024, 22:51   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nstr View Post
Quite possibly. I’m also in my experience particularly unlucky
And you still go to sea in a plastic bag full of air
Old 16 February 2024, 00:12   #7

Quote:
And you still go to sea in a plastic bag full of air
Better than a plastic bag without any air I suppose!