Old 04 August 2023, 18:06   #1

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
Useful for Sib camping - Small Power Station

For ages I have felt that these are just expensive batteries but I decided it was time to succumb so splashed out £240 and bought this small one and Awanfi 500 watt. If you sib or rib camp this is very small and could give you all your power needs for a couple of nights or more i recon.

Old 05 August 2023, 06:14   #2

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-AW.../dp/B0BCR357WB
Old 05 August 2023, 06:46   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman2 View Post
Yup that’s the one it should have a box to tick for a £60 discount
Old 09 August 2023, 09:10   #4

Town: Notts
Boat name: Terra Nova
Make: Boatworld
Engine: 4stroke 9.9 Mercury
I'm no spark or electronic engineer, but isn't this a bit weird

"9 hours to fully recharge the portable power station by AC 220v wall socket; about 9 hours under direct sunlight with a solar panel (sold separately) and 8 hours by 12V car socket."

9 hours to charge under solar and 9 hours to charge on wall socket? Nowhere does it state what kind of battery it is unless I'm being blind (I appreciate there's a limit to how fast you can safely charge a battery, whatever its technology).

Also is ambiguous about the "solar charging" bit - is it trying to say it has a solar panel built into it? If not, what sort of panel requirement to get 9 hours charging time?
Old 09 August 2023, 09:54   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easedalenovice View Post
If you sib or rib camp this is very small and could give you all your power needs for a couple of nights or more i recon.
That is something I've done in the past. I'm trying to recall ever being in a position where I wanted power. Now my boat did have its own battery and ability to charge a phone etc, but you can get powerbanks for charging a phone that are the size of a phone and will triple your battery life. What are you needing 240V for in your remote camp site? If thats "mission critical" how sure are you that box will survive being bounced around on a damp sib?

Quote:
Nowhere does it state what kind of battery it is unless I'm being blind
picture looks like Lithium cells, and that would have been my guess given the size/claims.

Quote:
is it trying to say it has a solar panel built into it?
no thats just marketing nonsense - its does have a DC charging input (presumably could be charged from the outboard if you have appropriate wiring)
Quote:
If not, what sort of panel requirement to get 9 hours charging time?
that depends how sunny it is! Its a 518.4Wh battery, so to charge that in 9 hours you need to put in an average of 57.6W - so I think that probably means you need at least a 100W panel, if you were going to be regularly using it close to capacity and in UK weather you probably want a 200W panel.
Old 09 August 2023, 14:14   #6

To Answer the Questions.

It needs a 100 watt panel. You can buy a nice folding one from Dokio/Amazon. You don't need a solar charge controller as it is built in.

As for stuff on the trip to run or charge it is generally GHD Hair straighteners for her indoors (vital apparently) and charging drones and camera equipment etc
Old 09 August 2023, 17:51   #7

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Hi Dennis, do you always travel so light when you are wild camping?
Old 09 August 2023, 18:34   #8

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Maybe hardly wild camping with all the stuff you guys take with you but not so silly an idea as it first seems to be honest Dennis.
Particularly for people like yourself who enjoys using drones and the likes. (Never mind keeping the other half happy)

Reasonable price compared to some we were looking at for powering medical devices if out and about or overnight camping/diy camper kind of thing.

With the boom in camper vans conversions etc there’s a huge range on the market now to suit most pockets.
Old 09 August 2023, 18:44   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Hi Dennis, do you always travel so light when you are wild camping?
Never been wild camping as such. More of a bring loads sort of set up camping...... I just like stuff. If I haven't bought something from Amazon before 8.00 am each day something is wrong . We have a delivery most days. Bought two 170 watt solar panel set ups this morning and some other bits and bobs. It is vital that you never waste money and the only way to waste it is to never spend it
Old 09 August 2023, 18:47   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinormeg View Post
Maybe hardly wild camping with all the stuff you guys take with you but not so silly an idea as it first seems to be honest Dennis.
Particularly for people like yourself who enjoys using drones and the likes. (Never mind keeping the other half happy)

Reasonable price compared to some we were looking at for powering medical devices if out and about or overnight camping/diy camper kind of thing.

With the boom in camper vans conversions etc there’s a huge range on the market now to suit most pockets.
Yes this is a very small one and quite light as you would have seen from the little video it is also very capable. There are of course much larger ones that are silly money. I thought this one was quite a reasonable price for what you get.

I don't do too much research or over analysing.

As an idea two of my boats are called. Add to Cart and the other is Click and Collect

Tags
sib