Old 13 August 2023, 06:52   #1

Town: Grimsby
Boat name: Honda
Make: Honda marine
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard
Using a SIB in North Cyprus

Hi All

Just returned from Northern Cyprus and it looks like we are going to get a 2nd home and potentially move there. The coastline is amazing with the most amazing calm blue water. Naturally my first thoughts instead of doing up the house is can I use my SIB, and what regulations might be in place, just wondering if anyone has done it and what hoops I might have to jump through.

Seems to be very little online

Take care

Matt
Old 13 August 2023, 09:02   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt73 View Post
Hi All

Just returned from Northern Cyprus and it looks like we are going to get a 2nd home and potentially move there. The coastline is amazing with the most amazing calm blue water. Naturally my first thoughts instead of doing up the house is can I use my SIB, and what regulations might be in place, just wondering if anyone has done it and what hoops I might have to jump through.

Seems to be very little online

Take care

Matt

Is that in the Turkish sector or the Greek (EU) sector?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2023, 10:00   #3

Hi

It is the Turkish side

Matt
Old 13 August 2023, 10:19   #4

RIBase
Quote:
Hi

It is the Turkish side

Matt

Hmmm! In that case I can’t offer any advice, other than be careful. Afaik the Turkish section is disputed territory & technically an invasion of the EU, (the UN still has a peacekeeping force in place to keep the 2 sides apart) I wouldn’t trust the Turks as far as I could throw a kebab. Have a look for the Simon Reeve program about Cyprus, even the Turkish Cypriots “dislike” the Turks, to the point where there may be a civil war.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 13 August 2023, 10:39   #5

I realise all that and we have lots of friends there although sadly none of them are boaters.
Don't really fancy getting into any bother, any legislation i have found seems to relate to much bigger vessels.

Don't fancy getting shot at lol.

I guess I have to find a chandler's the one I contacted was in the EU side and wasn't very helpful.

Matt
Old 13 August 2023, 10:54   #6

RIBase
Quote:
I realise all that and we have lots of friends there although sadly none of them are boaters.
Don't really fancy getting into any bother, any legislation i have found seems to relate to much bigger vessels.

Don't fancy getting shot at lol.

I guess I have to find a chandler's the one I contacted was in the EU side and wasn't very helpful.

Matt

If it was me. And I’m not saying this is right or wrong. I’d move out there, do the house up & get a feel for what the locals do. Make some local boaty friends, learn some of the lingo & try to fit in. Having boated around a fair bit of europe, I’ve found that once you get off the beaten track, “the rules” rarely apply, just follow the herd. Safety in numbers & all that.
Old 13 August 2023, 22:48   #7

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Honda BF15
I would search online for whoever is reselling boats over there and drop them an email. You might need to give them the impression you're in the market for a new boat and want to know what the regulation is like. A bit sneaky, but it should be effective.

These guys might be worth a look.
https://powerlinecy.com/product-cate...latable-boats/
Old 16 August 2023, 09:29   #8

Town: Bridport
Make: HydroForce
Quote:
Originally Posted by User name View Post
I would search online for whoever is reselling boats over there and drop them an email. You might need to give them the impression you're in the market for a new boat and want to know what the regulation is like. A bit sneaky, but it should be effective.

These guys might be worth a look.
https://powerlinecy.com/product-cate...latable-boats/
Although, while I’ve never had experience buying boats, off the top of my head I would say that the person selling boats isn’t necessarily a good person to ask. Be wary then of someone telling you what they think you want to hear, just to make a sale. I expect “but I was told by a salesperson that it was OK” might not be a strong argument. Been in hot water myself from that mistake before.
Old 16 August 2023, 10:54   #9

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Honda BF15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nstr View Post
Although, while I’ve never had experience buying boats, off the top of my head I would say that the person selling boats isn’t necessarily a good person to ask. Be wary then of someone telling you what they think you want to hear, just to make a sale. I expect “but I was told by a salesperson that it was OK” might not be a strong argument. Been in hot water myself from that mistake before.
Oh I'm not suggesting their world is gospel, but it's a foot in the door at least. They also appear to be a fairly large outfit, so that would add some confidence at least.
Old 20 August 2023, 02:34   #10

Thanks everyone

Tags
sib