Old 30 May 2023, 21:21   #1

Vhf marine sea ranger rvs 1200

Dear sir or madam

I have the above radio and I went on the water in my kayak and I tried to communicate with the nci in Charlestown in Cornwall but I wasn’t working can anyone tell me why please?

Look forward to your response

Many thanks

Your response

Yours Faithfully
Old 30 May 2023, 21:39   #2

Length: 3m +
That's very vague amount of information.

How far are you in miles?

Can you receive anyone? (As a test you might want to listen in on CH16 and make sure you are covering a time when a CG all station broadcast should happen:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...mation-leaflet (page 4-6 of the leaflet)

NB times are published in UTC (British Winter Time)

Most common reason to hear nothing is squelch is set too high.

If you can hear other traffic, but not raise NCI - 2 steps. Can you check with another station if they can hear you (Marina, Boat, CH16 CG if absolutely necessary).

If they are able to receive and you can hear them, then there is likely to be some issue with talking to NCI. Either they are unmanned for some reason, or you are out of range // tech issues. I'd probably give them a phone and see what they said. They may say they can hear you but you can't hear them back etc. 01726 817068

Presumably you did call them on 65? They listen on 16, 10, 65, 67 but would normally only respond on 65.
Old 30 May 2023, 22:08   #3

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Hi Greg, just had a look on google and can't find any info with regard to your radio apart from one that was sold on ebay for £4.99! Not yours by any chance?
Old 31 May 2023, 04:47   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Hi Greg, just had a look on google and can't find any info with regard to your radio apart from one that was sold on ebay for £4.99! Not yours by any chance?
Hi Steve

I tried calling them on vhf channel 56 I think what might be why and my radio in making a beeping sound when I scan thought the channels I can hear the shipping broadcast and flag in Plymouth and other stuff so I will have another go thank you for your help
Old 31 May 2023, 04:49   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
That's very vague amount of information.

How far are you in miles?

Can you receive anyone? (As a test you might want to listen in on CH16 and make sure you are covering a time when a CG all station broadcast should happen:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...mation-leaflet (page 4-6 of the leaflet)

NB times are published in UTC (British Winter Time)

Most common reason to hear nothing is squelch is set too high.

If you can hear other traffic, but not raise NCI - 2 steps. Can you check with another station if they can hear you (Marina, Boat, CH16 CG if absolutely necessary).

If they are able to receive and you can hear them, then there is likely to be some issue with talking to NCI. Either they are unmanned for some reason, or you are out of range // tech issues. I'd probably give them a phone and see what they said. They may say they can hear you but you can't hear them back etc. 01726 817068

Presumably you did call them on 65? They listen on 16, 10, 65, 67 but would normally only respond on 65.
Hi shiny shoes

I tried calling them on vhf channel 56 I think what might be why and my radio in making a beeping sound when I scan thought the channels I can hear the shipping broadcast and flag in Plymouth and other stuff so I will have another go thank you for your help
Old 31 May 2023, 07:41   #6

Morning

I have the above radio and I have an inflatable kayak and went out on the water and I tried to call the chalstown nci in Cornwall but I couldn’t get thought I can here lots of other stuff like the shipping broadcast and from flag in Plymouth can you I am using channel 56 to communicate with them I brought the radio from eBay and it is making a beeping sound when I scan though the channel can that be turned off?

Gregory
Old 31 May 2023, 07:42   #7

Morning steve

I have the above radio and I have an inflatable kayak and went out on the water and I tried to call the chalstown nci in Cornwall but I couldn’t get thought I can here lots of other stuff like the shipping broadcast and from flag in Plymouth can you I am using channel 56 to communicate with them I brought the radio from eBay and it is making a beeping sound when I scan though the channel can that be turned off?

Gregory
Old 31 May 2023, 07:47   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg123 View Post
Hi Steve

Morning Steve

I have the above radio and I have an inflatable kayak and went out on the water and I tried to call the chalstown nci in Cornwall but I couldn’t get though I can here lots of other stuff like the shipping broadcast and from flag in Plymouth can you I am using channel 56 to communicate with them I brought the radio from eBay and it is making a beeping sound when I scan though the channel can that be turned off? And I brought the radio from eBay for £50

Gregory
Old 31 May 2023, 14:55   #9

Hi Greg, as ShinyShoe says try calling them for a radio check on channel 65. I very much doubt the beep can be turned off as the beep indicates you have changed channel.
Have you been on a vhf course? It's a legal requirement to have a licence to use a vhf radio.
Old 31 May 2023, 15:31   #10

Hi Steve

I have been on a vhf radio course and I have got my radio licence and short wave license from ofcom so I am all legal
Old 31 May 2023, 20:56   #11
RIBnet admin team

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg123 View Post
hi steve

i have been on a vhf radio course and i have got my radio licence and short wave license from ofcom so i am all legal
Uhuh...

Old 31 May 2023, 21:10   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Uhuh...

A tad cruel
Old 31 May 2023, 21:17   #13
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
A tad cruel
Oh I dunno. I thought Channel 56 was reserved for Hand to Mouth Popcorn Ops...
Old 31 May 2023, 21:27   #14

65 not 56

65 65 65

That said, I think 56 is a private channel so you almost certainly wouldn't have access.

65 is a duplex channel. So you wouldn't normally hear other stations transmitting to NCI, just NCIs response.
Old 31 May 2023, 21:32   #15
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
65 65 65
C'mere, he said 56 and I'm not gonna argue with a lad with a fresh SRC...

Old 01 June 2023, 05:03   #16

Morning Shiny shoe

Thank you for your response I will give it another try when I can out on the water again and see what happens
Old 27 July 2024, 18:08   #17

Hi Shiny shoe

I have been on a vhf radio course and I have got my radio licence and short wave certificate so I am all legal I long should the battery pack on my sea ranger SRV 1200 take to fully charge I am going to try contacting a boat when I go out on the water to see if it is working