Old 22 July 2022, 08:43   #1

Town: Drevsjo
Boat name: Zodiac Mk III
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Water inside my Zodiac

Hi everyone!
I just bought a Zodiac Mk3 Grand raid. I think it is a -96 model, but in excellent shape. It was formerly owned by a local fire department, and has not been used a lot. It came with a 25 hp Johnson outboard that seems to work just fine. I took it on a test run yesterday and all seemed fine. Just cruising at 16 knots, and calm water. But suddenly it started to take in water. Not very much, but there was water on the bottom in the stern. The plugs for the drainage was in. I slowed down, and went to shore. It didn't seem to come in more water at the time. Then I pulled out the plugs and went out on the water again, and that did the trick. The water drained out. So then I just let the plugs be out for the rest of the trip, and no more problem. But how can this be? Where did the water come from in the first place? As far as I can see, there is no holes or anything in the boat. As you probably understand, I am totally newbie on this, and excuse my bad English as I am from Norway ;-) I hope someone can enlighten me.
Old 22 July 2022, 11:52   #2

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke 25hp
MMSI: 235933026
Might be spray over the transom. Plenty of posts on here that have tried various ways to stop it happening, raising the motor being the most obvious one.
Old 22 July 2022, 15:38   #3

Thank you Tinker! I was also thinking about that, but I was out again now, and was watching the spray, but I can't imagine that it will be that much water from that. But anyway, I will give it a try and raise the motor and se what's happening (y)
Old 22 July 2022, 19:01   #4

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Get it up on some stands and hose some water in, wait and see if it comes out anywhere.
Old 23 July 2022, 06:14   #5

Good idea!
Old 23 July 2022, 11:12   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Get it up on some stands and hose some water in, wait and see if it comes out anywhere.
I did as you suggested and I found a couple of small holes. So now I have patched them, and I will let it dry for a few days before I try it.
Old 23 July 2022, 20:10   #7

Town: Marple
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Great that you sorted the problem. At least it shows that the drain valve works!
Old 31 July 2022, 11:26   #8

Town: Galway
Boat name: na
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha
Hi,
just joined this forum and not sure how to post a new discussion. I put a new 115 HP Yamaha on a 550 open pro 2003 rib. Water is coming in from the back when the boat goes above a certain speed (about 35KM per hour). It happens on starboard side and get worse as the boat goes faster. There is a jet of water coming from the back of the tube. This happens on both sides but on the starboard side it seems to rise higher and it appears to me that it is then pushing the water back into the boat. I removed the tube and it looks Ok. I thought at first maybe it was coming in from the front somewhere and travelling down the tube above the rail that connects the tube to the boat but I do not think this is the case. As it happens water is emerging between the tube and the boat at the back right and as you go faster this ingress of water moves to the front and water actually comes in between the tube and hull in front of the consul. I am presuming the water is running from the back over the rail. Any ideas. I have a video of it https://www.dropbox.com/s/2hkode78w5...gress.mp4?dl=0

Tags
zodiac