Old 06 June 2010, 21:56   #1

Town: Space
Boat name: SCS Eureka
Length: 10m +
what is my Zodiac made of?

hello all,

Im trying to help my dad fix his Zodiac and it seems that I can't find any information online about these boats.

He's got a 1998 Zodiac Model CFR940 Series 1089

This boat's glue is coming undone on both corners of the rear of the boat, so bad that you can see right thru it of you move the little rubber/hypalon/whatever flaps that are supposed to be glued down.

my idea if the material will allow it, is to use really strong epoxy to glue these pieces down so they don't come unglued again (something that Zodiac seems to have in common)

can you guys help me help my dad?
Old 06 June 2010, 22:12   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Wilco View Post
hello all,

Im trying to help my dad fix his Zodiac and it seems that I can't find any information online about these boats.

He's got a 1998 Zodiac Model CFR940 Series 1089

This boat's glue is coming undone on both corners of the rear of the boat, so bad that you can see right thru it of you move the little rubber/hypalon/whatever flaps that are supposed to be glued down.

my idea if the material will allow it, is to use really strong epoxy to glue these pieces down so they don't come unglued again (something that Zodiac seems to have in common)

can you guys help me help my dad?
Welcome to Ribnet.

My understanding on a lot of Zodiacs is that they used PVC material or Strongan Duotex to give it it's technical name. A lot of early Zodiacs for the leisure market from the mid 80s had the seams on top running under the rope cuff on the sponsons. Trouble with this - is that in warmer climates - they were exposed to UV light and heat and constantly fluctuating temperatures weakened the bond. Now the seams are underneath. Are you referring to the shoulder patches where the transom is bonded to the sponsons?

Fairly sure yours will be PVC. As such - you'll need a two-part glue. Link here. http://www.polymarineshop.com/fabric...250ml-tin.html

Secret on a good repair is preparation. Details here. http://www.allinflatables.com/support/pvc.html
Old 07 June 2010, 01:37   #3

Town: Vancouver, BC Canada
Boat name: Black Ops
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 733
Length: 7m +
Engine: OceanPro 150hp x 2
How long is the boat? Your user data states 10m. If the boat is that big, and that age, it's probably a commercial hypalon boat.

I just googled and it would appear that CFR are the little cadets. So perhaops the boat is 9-10 ft long instead?

PVC boats aren't glued, they're thermo welded. If it is in fact glue, it should be glued again. Epoxy is too rigid and would not be the way to go in either case. Glueing pvc is difficult. I believe, you may need to take it to a professional for a fix that lasts.
Old 07 June 2010, 05:30   #4

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Length: 4m +
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
It would definitely be helpful to post either a picture or a better description of the location of the separation. The PVC zodiacs do have thermo welded seams, but that does not include the floor seam, transom seams or portions of the speed tubes on Futuras. Yes, older zodiacs do have issues with these glued bonds separating, but gluing them again properly with a two part glue and following the directions linked to will give you a bond that lasts for years. Epoxy is not flexible, does not stretch and will lead to fabric damage. Do not ignore the humidity. There are no short cuts. I have reglued my floor and transom seams and my Zodiac is reliable.
Old 08 June 2010, 01:29   #5

Town: Connecticut
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Undecided
Cfr340

your CFR 340 is definitely a PVc boat if it is a 1998.