Old 03 July 2023, 17:51   #41
RIBnet admin team

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trello View Post
I'm still suffering from that niggling feeling in the back of my head that I'm "cheating" by using the motor. There's a real high that comes from catching the wind and hiking out...
I suspect you may not be going fast enough. Try taking a RIB offshore for a couple of hundred miles in a day. You won't feel that you've cheated on the win - particularly when the WAFIs in the marina hear that you've matched their last 3 days in 8 hours
Old 03 July 2023, 19:14   #42

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke 25hp
MMSI: 235933026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Redcliffe where? Bristol, London, Paignton?

Whilst I can appreciate that cost can be a factor, there are so many fantastic places you can launch from for free.
All my life I've kayaked, windsurfed, sailed, but it's only the past 3 years that I've had a sib and an OB, would I swop it - no.
I've been to some fantastic places only accesable from the water, and most of the time launched from a trailer for free.
Close to 140 hrs on the water and probably only paid £60 to launch and £60 to register, not a lot for so much pleasure.
Lucky you.

Redcliffe Farm Campsite
07859 911795

https://g.co/kgs/CkJrVs
Old 03 July 2023, 20:01   #43

Town: Worcs-West Mids border
Boat name: .
Make: .
Engine: Suzuki 20HP EFI
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I suspect you may not be going fast enough.
Yes - you may be right! [emoji1]
Old 03 July 2023, 21:23   #44

Make: Excel Scout 400
Engine: MFS15E 20hp ECU
The wife
Old 03 July 2023, 22:22   #45

Quote:
Anglesey, Gwynedd & Conwy - one annual registration (£35 Anglesey) covers all 3 with loads of places to beach launch for free if you look for them. Anglesey "wardens" only work Fri, Sat & Sun but work all week the last 2 weeks in July and all of August. Under 10hp, still have to register but there's no charge to launch.

I don't think Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire have registration charges and I've never been charged to launch.
Thanks for that info, Steve.
I think I may have been misled - I was told that all the coastline of Wales was charged.
Old 04 July 2023, 05:16   #46

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Not like you Dennis, a one word reply. FFS what's the world coming too

Anyway did you have a good holiday?
Lovely thanks. Only 1.5 days of rain the rest was generally clear blue skys. Off to Dorset with the Rib and hopefully the new Boatworld Kat in just under 3 weeks. Hopefully the Microwave and Cooker I left in the bushes is OK .

If you get the chance to retire or go part time my advice would be do it
Old 04 July 2023, 05:19   #47

Town: Colchester
Quote:
Redcliffe where? Bristol, London, Paignton?

Whilst I can appreciate that cost can be a factor, there are so many fantastic places you can launch from for free.
All my life I've kayaked, windsurfed, sailed, but it's only the past 3 years that I've had a sib and an OB, would I swop it - no.
I've been to some fantastic places only accesable from the water, and most of the time launched from a trailer for free.
Close to 140 hrs on the water and probably only paid £60 to launch and £60 to register, not a lot for so much pleasure.
Very true. Further if you want it is possible to get a swinging fairways mooring for about £120 a year
Old 04 July 2023, 07:47   #48

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Quote:
Thanks for that info, Steve.
I think I may have been misled - I was told that all the coastline of Wales was charged.
Still probably a 3hr trek for you, but this has to be one of the best free slips in the UK

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/redneck-does-pembroke-87079.html
Old 04 July 2023, 09:53   #49

Quote:
Still probably a 3hr trek for you, but this has to be one of the best free slips in the UK

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/rednec...oke-87079.html
Looks like a great place.

But yes, it would be a fair trek - according to Google maps, nearly 4 hours. Why they won't just crack on and build some motorways through these National Parks, I really don't understand....
Old 07 July 2023, 09:48   #50

Town: Notts
Boat name: Terra Nova
Make: Boatworld
Engine: 4stroke 9.9 Mercury
Things that stop me going out on the SIB is mostly the vast amount of faff vs the amount of pleasure I can get in the time that I have. I'm single parent, and when I'm not with my kid doing it I'm doing it with a m8 from work who can't drive.

So, the amount of time taken getting it in the water, with car loading, travel and set up, plus breaking it down again, return trip and putaway, I get about the same amount of time on the water or even less, than I do getting on it.

With the 2.5hp I'm limited to the Trent for now (I did go to Ullswater for a couple days but only boated on one of them), which is all very pleasant but a bit limited in scope, I find my main things holding me back is - have I got the time, and do I want to make the effort.

I have been out 5 times since I bought the boat at the beginning of April, including my Ullswater trip, so averaging a bit more than once a month. Dunno how that stacks up to everyone else.

Like I keep saying, when possible I'll buy an engine I can take coastal, and things will get a bit more interesting.

I'm actually out on the Trent this Sunday. Looks like no rain until the later afternoon on forecast right now.
Old 07 July 2023, 10:12   #51

Croolis, where are you going on the Trent? I'm free on Sunday too, so I might come along.
Old 07 July 2023, 12:17   #52

Nottingham stretch.

I've not decided yet, TBH. With friend from work. We've sort of left it a bit open, in case one of us gets lazy. On Met office it's cloud but dry until mid-afternoon, then likely to get wet.

Launch point will be either:
  • Beeston Marina and go upstream through a couple of locks and turn around (only one of us drives so needs to be a round trip) somewhere past Sawley Marina.
  • Beeston Marina and go downstream into the canal through the city and back again. Lots of locks.
  • Hazelford Ferry slipway (Google Hazelford residential home which is by the slipway) upstream, possibly as far as Stoke lock (so couple of locks).
  • Hazelford Ferry downstream, how far, dunno. Here be dragons and locks, and possible engine failures involving lots of bastard rowing.

Will post again at some point tomorrow when things become clearer. Small engine, two up, so upstream I do about 4mph. Downstream, about 6mph, which is about the speed limit anyway).
Old 07 July 2023, 16:03   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croolis View Post
Nottingham stretch.

I've not decided yet, TBH. With friend from work. We've sort of left it a bit open, in case one of us gets lazy. On Met office it's cloud but dry until mid-afternoon, then likely to get wet.

Launch point will be either:
  • Beeston Marina and go upstream through a couple of locks and turn around (only one of us drives so needs to be a round trip) somewhere past Sawley Marina.
  • Beeston Marina and go downstream into the canal through the city and back again. Lots of locks.
  • Hazelford Ferry slipway (Google Hazelford residential home which is by the slipway) upstream, possibly as far as Stoke lock (so couple of locks).
  • Hazelford Ferry downstream, how far, dunno. Here be dragons and locks, and possible engine failures involving lots of bastard rowing.

Will post again at some point tomorrow when things become clearer. Small engine, two up, so upstream I do about 4mph. Downstream, about 6mph, which is about the speed limit anyway).
Ok. If it happens, I'll be alone: 3.6m, with 20HP.

I've not been on the Trent, so it would be good to go with someone who knows the river.

Pm me with the details, if you decide to go.
Old 07 July 2023, 17:02   #54

This is going to sound a bit "old git i'sh", but if you're making arrangements outwith the context of the post, it my be better to PM one another. It gets a bit boring for everyone else.
Old 07 July 2023, 17:30   #55

Taken "on board", Steve[emoji6]

In mine and Croolis' defence, I did ask, in my last post, that Croolis pm me with any further details...
Old 07 July 2023, 17:34   #56

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Quote:
This is going to sound a bit "old git i'sh", but if you're making arrangements outwith the context of the post, it my be better to PM one another. It gets a bit boring for everyone else.

Haha! At least not as boring as that Beachmaster type wheels thread…quite liked Beachmasters before, but after 12 pages, now scarred for life. [emoji3]
Carrying on the boorish theme, currently land locked, so might also be giving the Trent a bash on Sunday. Launching a bit further downstream at Farndon and going electric at less than 4mph average, so at least won’t piss off the fishermen. If anyone’s out, give us a cheery wave as you blast by…I’ll be in our tiny Mercury 340 rib.

PS: Surely better to keep mini meets online in case anyone else feels like joining in.
Old 07 July 2023, 20:35   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
Haha! At least not as boring as that Beachmaster type wheels thread…quite liked Beachmasters before, but after 12 pages, now scarred for life. [emoji3]
Carrying on the boorish theme, currently land locked, so might also be giving the Trent a bash on Sunday. Launching a bit further downstream at Farndon and going electric at less than 4mph average, so at least won’t piss off the fishermen. If anyone’s out, give us a cheery wave as you blast by…I’ll be in our tiny Mercury 340 rib.

PS: Surely better to keep mini meets online in case anyone else feels like joining in.

Point taken

I've even thought about unsubscribing from the Beachmaster type wheels thread
Old 08 July 2023, 13:09   #58

Quote:
Nee naw nee naw
Attached Images

Old 08 July 2023, 17:15   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B View Post
To ensure loading and storing of equipment is as seamless as possible. Don’t want that side of things hindering a nice break away.
I think that that's a really wise thing to do. There was a psychologist (whose name I can't remember now) who said that the best way to get people (including yourself!) to do things is to remove obstacles. Not to use a carrot or stick - merely remove obstacles. Which is exactly what you are doing...
Old 09 July 2023, 08:48   #60

Quote:
I think that that's a really wise thing to do. There was a psychologist (whose name I can't remember now) who said that the best way to get people (including yourself!) to do things is to remove obstacles. Not to use a carrot or stick - merely remove obstacles. Which is exactly what you are doing...
That'll be why I can't get my boss to stop taking the line of least resistance and actually start doing some of the necessary work to stop it constantly going wrong .

I'm pretty much sold on the idea of a ~10hp for next year. I am cobbling together in my brain some kind of loading/unloading board thing to pivot it up and slide it into the boot of the car (and out again) with absolute minimal back strain (I need one of those bed trolley things they have in ambulances) . Projects, projects.

Making a check list and having an Ikea blue bag with all the bits in permanently ready to go was a great start. It only takes one forgotten thing to wreck the day.

Tags
sib