Old 30 January 2024, 12:10   #21

Town: Notts
Boat name: Terra Nova
Make: Boatworld
Length: 3m +
Engine: 4stroke 9.9 Mercury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Was Huttoft a random choice or somewhere you know from going without a boat? When I research areas to launch I always use Google maps and scan the area for clusters of boats on the water, moored, in a boat club compound, hauled up the beach or in gardens adj to the water. The whole of the Huttoft area is notable for not having a boat in sight and you have to wonder why.

As well as tide times have you got your head round the changing tide range at different periods (as Steve mentions)? If you look at this link the difference in tidal range for going out on 4th Feb and 13th Feb is significant in terms of where the high and low points on the beach will be but also how much water is moving over the seabed variations to cause a rough sea. On that note have you looked at a chart for the area, a very short distance to the North of Huttoft are overfalls marked not too far out stretching for some 6Nm northwards.

https://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks...h/tides/latest

This site gives every bit of data you could want to know about the sea state of the day...

https://tides4fishing.com/uk/england/anderby-creek

Sorry to be negative but I have to say I'd be wary of going to such a bleak area with a beach launch and so few other boats about for my running in period and getting used to how an outfit performs/handles.
To answer the first question - I got Huttoft from an old thread on this very forum (I forget the user name now).

Thank you for rest of reply and I'll review. Huttoft not set in stone, just an option I thought I'd go look at while combining with a family day out.

If anyone would care to look at the thread I just stuck in the Engines forum, that'd be great . Mad day. Thx

https://www.rib.net/forum/f36/hmm-de...efi-90537.html
Old 01 February 2024, 11:57   #22

Town: Leicester
Make: Yam
I live in Leicester, so I have the same problems with getting to the coast. I haven't really been out locally and just do as Fenlander has suggested and go on holiday somewhere good (Cornwall and the south west has a lot of estuaries, which often have good boat ramps and facilities).

I have also looked at Blakeney / Morston etc and have been put off by the mud. You are either going for a very short trip (maybe 1hr either side of high water) or a full 10-12hr trip, else risk having to drag the boat back through some mud. Of course until you actually do it, you don't know how much window you have. I might be being pessimistic with my 1hr either side of HW assessment. Maybe there is 2-3hrs each side of HW before the slipway turns to mud. Someone needs to be a good egg and take one for the team and report back

The one favorable thing about the east coast, is that it is generally in the lee of the prevailing wind. So more often than not the sea will be fairly flat. Whereas in the south west, I would say that more often than not the sea is not flat! For these reasons I would like to find a decent launch site on that side of the country.

While searching for options, you can also look on Boatlaunch

Good luck.
Old 01 February 2024, 12:18   #23

Town: Notts
Boat name: Terra Nova
Make: Boatworld
Engine: 4stroke 9.9 Mercury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blankton View Post
I live in Leicester, so I have the same problems with getting to the coast. I haven't really been out locally and just do as Fenlander has suggested and go on holiday somewhere good (Cornwall and the south west has a lot of estuaries, which often have good boat ramps and facilities).

I have also looked at Blakeney / Morston etc and have been put off by the mud. You are either going for a very short trip (maybe 1hr either side of high water) or a full 10-12hr trip, else risk having to drag the boat back through some mud. Of course until you actually do it, you don't know how much window you have. I might be being pessimistic with my 1hr either side of HW assessment. Maybe there is 2-3hrs each side of HW before the slipway turns to mud. Someone needs to be a good egg and take one for the team and report back

The one favorable thing about the east coast, is that it is generally in the lee of the prevailing wind. So more often than not the sea will be fairly flat. Whereas in the south west, I would say that more often than not the sea is not flat! For these reasons I would like to find a decent launch site on that side of the country.

While searching for options, you can also look on Boatlaunch

Good luck.
Thank 'ee fella .

Tags
outboard