Old 10 May 2012, 13:23   #1

Make: Quicksilver HD 3.80
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 25HP 2-str
Zodiac MK2 4.2 vs Quicksliver HD 3.80

Hello, I own a quicksilver HD 3.80 (2006 make) with a 2 stroke 25hp mercury outboard. My sib is for sale and I got a call from someone wanting to trade his Zodiac futura MK2 4.2 (2008) make with a 2 stroke 40hp outboard. I have not seen the zodiac up close but from the fotos it looks in mint condition (as mine is too :-). The money the guy is asking is more than fair(almost a bargain), a little too much for my budget but I can afford it. The main question is "Does it worth it?" Saling a sib and buying a much more expensive sib? My main concern is the behavior in choppy waters. Will the zodiac be a much better ride than the quicksilver? I know it is going to be a much faster one but what about comfort? Over the years I have come to love the advantages of the sib (moving around on ground and water without thinking about it) but on the other hand I start to get a little bit tired of the bouncing around on the choppy sea. What do you think?

Let me tell you that my sib runs on a tiller with no seats and the zodiac has streering wheel and seats.
Old 10 May 2012, 21:40   #2

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
I don't think there will be.much difference in the choppy water performance between the boats, but the Zodiac will be a lot quicker than your 380 and with Futura speed tubes it feels like it 'skips' over the water.

The seats and remotes make it feel much more like a proper boat, but unless its on a trailer its a bit of a faff rigging it every time.

If you are comfortable with the deal, go for it. At worst you can always sell it in a month or two for little loss.
Old 10 May 2012, 23:30   #3

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
I have one and it bounces around a fair bit. Probably less than a smaller boat, but not as cush as a bigger RIB. Ask to take it for a spin?

You are not going to be pulling it about much as it is a heavy boat with the 40hp on it.
Old 11 May 2012, 04:33   #4

Make: Quicksilver HD 3.80
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 25HP 2-str
First of all, thank you for answering.
It will always be on a treiler so the extra weight and assembling/disassembling are not problems. I know it won't ride like a rib on choppy waters but I am afraid it may be worse than the quicksilver? (the bottom looks much flatter).

I will take it out on the water before buying anyway.

@Landlockedpirate, selling it back may be a problem as the sib market in my country is not that big. 95% of people look for ribs.
Old 11 May 2012, 07:04   #5

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkampo View Post
I know it won't ride like a rib on choppy waters but I am afraid it may be worse than the quicksilver? (the bottom looks much flatter).
Doesn't the boat you are looking at have speed tubes below the main tubes? If so it is more like a tri-hull, and not a flat bottom at all. Should ride much nicer than your current boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkampo View Post
I will take it out on the water before buying anyway.
Then you will know if it suits your needs or not
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zodiac transom.jpg
Views:	3248
Size:	239.3 KB
ID:	68120