Old 19 October 2024, 01:40   #1

Town: Waikiki WA
Boat name: ZED
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Electric
Zodiac zoom glue type

2014 zodiac zoom the seam has come apart. I've tried selleys clear contact cement, which I was told would do the job. It's been curing for about 3 days but when I inflat it up a bit it pulls the seam apart. What other type of adhesive can I use. What do the professionals use. Thanks, Andy
Old 19 October 2024, 08:13   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
You need a 2-part PVC glue.
https://polymarine.com.au/products/c...part-250ml-tin

Preparation is everything, so lightly sand areas to be glued and clean with solvent such as 2903 or MEK. Ambient temperatures are key too - that shouldn't be an issue in Australia.

PVC instructions here: https://www.polymarineshop.com/repair/
Old 19 October 2024, 09:45   #3
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
As Spartacus says above.

I'd just add humidity is very important. Ideally needs to be below 60% to avoid condensation bloom on the glue before you bring the surfaces together which will ruin the bond. If you can't get a day with lower humidity blowing some warm air over the area during the process helps... or being out with the sun directly on the glue area.

Having said that temperatures over 25degC are your enemy too as the glue can dry before you have time to bring the surfaces together. In that case you can re-activate the glue by wiping over with MEK but best if you don't have to.

Finally not wanting to be negative but at ten years old in a hot climate that can be near end of life for glued seam SIBs as they will often start to fail in one place and soon follow elsewhere so check the other seams very carefully.
Old 20 October 2024, 04:49   #4

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
I do believe Zodiac PVC boats are all thermo bonded for the tube seams but the floor transom, and tidbits are all glued on.

A good two part glue should do the job. Prep work is the difference between function and failure.
Old 20 October 2024, 08:26   #5
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I was unsure. Zodiac became very erratic during their financial troubles around 2010 onwards. They offered the Zoom model as a budget option with manufacture moved to China around that time and certainly initially they went to glued seams on the tubes but the OP would need to check their specific boat to be sure.
Old 20 October 2024, 09:19   #6

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
The budget range Zodiac Zooms were indeed all glued seams but still used Zodiacs own Strongan pvc.
Old Yesterday, 17:24   #7

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
The budget range Zodiac Zooms were indeed all glued seams but still used Zodiacs own Strongan pvc.
I would think cost wise for manufacturing it would actually be cheaper to thermo-bond which is why they switched to doing so in the first place? It is impossible to thermo-bond the floor, etc as machine access is limited. Just the glue drying between coats takes way longer than a few seconds to thermo-bond. I must be missing something...but maybe it has to do with cheap Chinese labor?

"All Zodiac Zooms with 2009 and 2010 production years were/are built in China with a 2-year warranty and glued seams"

If the glue all over the boat is failing, then it is not worth fixing. Inspect every seam carefully.

Tags
glue, zodiac