Old 04 April 2007, 18:17   #1

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Force 5 in the Aegean

Going from Tinos to Syros Island Sunday 1st Aril 2007
[YOUTUBE]7eQL5OwrRN0[/YOUTUBE]
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 April 2007, 07:30   #2

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Missed the waypoint !

And on CNN : Interesting footage of a big boat run aground on Santorini

Dayskipper Refresher Time

K & P
Old 06 April 2007, 12:53   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Nice video Manos - certainly beats a force 9 in the Bristol channel - then again the weather's great here now - and I am stuck in work!!!
Old 06 April 2007, 18:17   #4

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
@The Jackeens ... Funny enough the diver (very well known in Greece and abroad Mr Kostas Thoktaridis) who is going to survey the wreck is a friend of mine and I was with him to day as he was preparing to leave for Santorini. I can say that the sonar of one navy frigate present located the ship at 90 metres of water and it lies on its on its side on a rocky bottom. The authorities are afraid that there may be more people dead and this diver and his team will try to investigate. They will do a site scan first, then they will deploy an ROV and after a few days they will dive the wreck with gas mixes. The dive team will possibly assist a salvage company to surface the ship and this will be a very difficult operation. I have been invited to go but since I have a little bit of work on another ship I couldn't to day. However, I will take my boat and go to Santorini next weekend before I leave for the UK again. Photos (if I will be permited to take any) to follow.
How the accident happened: The ship tried to cross a very narrow channel between the volcano and and a small island so that the passengers could take photos when it hit the lava rocks on its side. The rocks open the side of the ship in decks No1, No 2 which are under water and No3 which is just on the water line. The No1 deck is where the engine room is and as it was floding the ship lost all power including electricity from the generators. Therefore, they couldn't pumpt any water out. The ship used the emergency generator which is only for maintaining electric power for communications and lights. The ship sank at about 6am Greek time.

@ Cod .... IMHO the weather on the video looks worst than it was (I think). Saying this a friend who is on the boat suffered a shock and he had to leave is on Syros and returned back on the ferry
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote