Old 15 August 2020, 11:07   #1

Town: Lympstone
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
4+m Rib search

Hi Experienced Ribbers!
I feel a minnow amongst impressive Whales 🐋! Been looking for a smallish Rib for a few months but diff yo find great looking boat under 7k... took courage to take my RYA level2 powerboating course ... had a couple of lessons since to improve berthing in Marina skills! Live in Lympstone now and want to launch off small jetty at Sowden End - possible only 2hrs or so either side of high water .... Exe estuary is very shallow ... want to keep Rib at home - in garage in winter ... looking at Avon Aventura 4m 2002 40hp 4 stroke outboard in very good condition - is £59995 too much for date of boat? Comes with trailer/cover etc ... has comfy bench seat (not a fan of jockey!) Would be for messing about in estuary - excursions a bit further out in calm weather - 2 or 3 people - for having fun ... some fishing .... visiting seaside towns within easy distance .... what is your collective wisdom? Hubby not interested in boats so this is just my baby!!! Thought about Avon Seasport 360 but my bro said ‘no’ to anything under 4m as will not have good ride in anything other than flat calm. He wants me to go for Avon Searider but not good looking enough for me!! AND don’t take to jockey seat. He’s into wave bashing and wakeboarding etc .... I’m thinking of a bit more sedate fun with occasional speed explosion (I drive a Mini CooperS)
Elaine P
Old 15 August 2020, 11:21   #2

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Will leave small ribs to someone with more wisdom ,however hold back on that avon if you havnt got an extra 9 in there .
Old 15 August 2020, 11:45   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
Will leave small ribs to someone with more wisdom ,however hold back on that avon if you havnt got an extra 9 in there .
Oooops! Yes - sorry - should be £5995 - could I negotiate for nearer £5000 do you think? The current owner bought it for holiday use this year and hadn’t got anywhere to store it over winter hence wants to sell as hols coming to an end. Ex
Old 15 August 2020, 12:01   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by elainep View Post
Oooops! Yes - sorry - should be £5995 - could I negotiate for nearer £5000 do you think? The current owner bought it for holiday use this year and hadn’t got anywhere to store it over winter hence wants to sell as hols coming to an end. Ex

£6k for an 18yr old mid range RIB sounds steep to me. You’d pick up a decent 4m Searider for half of that. Try it, you might like the “rugged type”[emoji6]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 12:43   #5

Thanks! Rugged types in boat terms not quite what I’m after ... good-looks will win the day ... but engine has to have some va-va-vroom...! Just seen a Zodiac Pro 4.2 with 40hp Merc (2000) for £3995 .... very well looked after - looks great for an ‘old’ boat ! Should I be suspicious of price?
Old 15 August 2020, 15:38   #6

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Zodiac Pro 420 or 7-man (they changed the name) is a good choice, but it's no Avon Searider. Zodiac use Strongan Duotex material (basically their version of PVC). It's got a shallow to mid V hull, so expect it to slap in rough chop. On the plus side, it's a good looking RIB, relatively lightweight, huge accessory list, (but beware Zodiac is notoriously expensive), and pretty capable for most tasks.

Most of the models out there will have a rear bench seat and console. You can fit 25 litres of fuel under the console and another 25 litre tank in the bench seat. There's also a bow locker for an anchor and chain and you can still get after-market bow cushions.

I use to run a 2007 model from new, and a Yamaha 40hp 2-stroke engine (model 40V), also enough room to squeeze on a Tohatsu or Mariner 3.5hp auxilliary on a bracket.

The hull is rated for 50hp, but its fine with 40hp. It's comfortable with 2-up but we had 4-up on a few ocassions. A decent unbraked trailer like Indespension, and it's easy to launch and retrieve.

Down-side: no hull cabling, so remote controls, fuel lines and any wiring will run down the side of the deck. Actually okay on a 4.2m RIB. Watch for spider cracks on the gelcoat of consoles. Shallow V hull, so your backside will be in mid air in anything rough.

Plus-side: the tubes slide off for cleaning. It uses a unique hull rail system that tethers at the bow and stern. My model had a bow roller for retrieving anchor lines which I thought was neat.

Price wise, if it's been garaged, then don't let PVC put you off. Chances are these boats may have led a fairly sheltered life, well certainly in Blighty given the short season. I'd expect to pay around £5-6k for a good example. The engine and trailer are key to this, so be particular. I'd be looking at boats up to 10 years old as a guide.

If your budget extends a little, then a Pro 500 or 9-man is a better option powered by 50-60hp, price up to £7-9k, and can still be garaged.

This is a few years ago running from Gardenstown to Rosehearty. Apologies in advance for the music.

Old 15 August 2020, 22:13   #7

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Prices are way up due to Covid buy now or wait till next year..... how badly do you want to be in the water? Come November may well be some bargains.... £5k in cash may be hard to turn down.... seen a few bombard for that money doubt you would get a high field for that... a few more out there but if you are looking at lifestyle type boats rather than Dive/safety bots it limits options an early XS maybe?
Old 16 August 2020, 10:31   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Zodiac Pro 420 or 7-man (they changed the name) is a good choice, but it's no Avon Searider. Zodiac use Strongan Duotex material (basically their version of PVC). It's got a shallow to mid V hull, so expect it to slap in rough chop. On the plus side, it's a good looking RIB, relatively lightweight, huge accessory list, (but beware Zodiac is notoriously expensive), and pretty capable for most tasks.

Most of the models out there will have a rear bench seat and console. You can fit 25 litres of fuel under the console and another 25 litre tank in the bench seat. There's also a bow locker for an anchor and chain and you can still get after-market bow cushions.

I use to run a 2007 model from new, and a Yamaha 40hp 2-stroke engine (model 40V), also enough room to squeeze on a Tohatsu or Mariner 3.5hp auxilliary on a bracket.

The hull is rated for 50hp, but its fine with 40hp. It's comfortable with 2-up but we had 4-up on a few ocassions. A decent unbraked trailer like Indespension, and it's easy to launch and retrieve.

Down-side: no hull cabling, so remote controls, fuel lines and any wiring will run down the side of the deck. Actually okay on a 4.2m RIB. Watch for spider cracks on the gelcoat of consoles. Shallow V hull, so your backside will be in mid air in anything rough.

Plus-side: the tubes slide off for cleaning. It uses a unique hull rail system that tethers at the bow and stern. My model had a bow roller for retrieving anchor lines which I thought was neat.

Price wise, if it's been garaged, then don't let PVC put you off. Chances are these boats may have led a fairly sheltered life, well certainly in Blighty given the short season. I'd expect to pay around £5-6k for a good example. The engine and trailer are key to this, so be particular. I'd be looking at boats up to 10 years old as a guide.

If your budget extends a little, then a Pro 500 or 9-man is a better option powered by 50-60hp, price up to £7-9k, and can still be garaged.

This is a few years ago running from Gardenstown to Rosehearty. Apologies in advance for the music.

Thank you for very helpful advice. As I’m a novice this will very much be a ‘first’ boat to get my confidence going. Needs to be VERY easy to launch/retrieve/tow/store as haven’t done it before! Is it sensible to be considering this ... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4m-Avon-R...4383.l4275.c10 ?
Would like to get out to practice in estuary before season ends but don’t want to buy something which dies on me and I lose all my money - around 5k feels right .... is this rib and engine too old to take a risk on? Thank you for any further advice.
Old 16 August 2020, 10:52   #9

Thank you. Very helpful. This is Rib I’m looking at but maybe it’s just too old?? Also 6k seems too much ... owner considering whether he is going to leave it in Salcombe with his brother for viewing or tow it back up north .... going to let me know later today. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4m-Avon-R...4383.l4275.c10
Old 16 August 2020, 11:02   #10

Valiant option?

Hi helpful Ribbers.
Just seen this option on eBay .... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Valiant-490-5-M-RIB-2006-90HP-Yamaha-140-hours-only-from-new/264827758878?_trkparms=aid%3D888009%26algo%3DDISC. LISTINGS%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20141013130338%26meid%3D 8a3a3ab40145406f98221b9aec57abf0%26pid%3D100172%26 rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D184399053423% 26itm%3D264827758878%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D23 32490%26algv%3DDiscV2&_trksid=p2332490.c100172.m29 66
Is this more sensible option for my ‘novice’ status over the Avon Adventura? Not sure about jockey seat as looking for ‘comfort bench’ option if poss. Will I get used to it? I’m a youthful ‘just turned 60’ and wanting fun on the water. Opinions please!
Old 16 August 2020, 15:10   #11

Jockey seats are more comfortable long term in U.K. water as they sow you to stand or sit and use knees to take the impact no suspension on a boat so seated you will feel every lump and bump unles using it on a lake I would always go for a jockey or standing console there is a Gemini on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274454334792 that may suit your needs as well so there is a shortlist of 3 Avon 4m 40hp, valliant and Gemini (white with a more leisure look) personally the 5.3m Humber with the 80hp yam 2 banger is tempting and if it was so far away I would be tempted to go have a look at it!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124292158659
Old 16 August 2020, 19:23   #12

Quote:
Hi helpful Ribbers.
Just seen this option on eBay .... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Valiant-4....c100172.m2966
Is this more sensible option for my ‘novice’ status over the Avon Adventura? Not sure about jockey seat as looking for ‘comfort bench’ option if poss. Will I get used to it? I’m a youthful ‘just turned 60’ and wanting fun on the water. Opinions please!
I see its ended did you buy it ?
Old 16 August 2020, 19:43   #13

Quote:
I see its ended did you buy it ?
For £4200 seems a good buy the buy it now was over £6k.... description is interesting
Old 16 August 2020, 19:55   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
For £4200 seems a good buy the buy it now was over £6k.... description is interesting
Sorry hdav ,think i,m losing it a bit here maybe ! my thoughts were i was asking the poster if they bought the valient which seems to have ended early as no longer avail , the gemini looked ok for ending at 5400 i think and your good looking humber made 4109 i think ,no wonder we are confused everthing has ended !
Old 16 August 2020, 20:03   #15

Quote:
Sorry hdav ,think i,m losing it a bit here maybe ! my thoughts were i was asking the poster if they bought the valient which seems to have ended early as no longer avail , the gemini looked ok for ending at 5400 i think and your good looking humber made 4109 i think ,no wonder we are confused everthing has ended !
Oh yes I was saying at £4200 bargain, at £6250 maybe less so so if the op bought it what price? That Humber really tempted me but no where to store a boat at the moment but £4K that’s a cheap capable boat

The gemini @ £5400 seems a bit pricey (but that’s normal)
Old 17 August 2020, 19:30   #16

Quote:
Hi Experienced Ribbers!
I feel a minnow amongst impressive Whales 🐋! Been looking for a smallish Rib for a few months but diff yo find great looking boat under 7k... took courage to take my RYA level2 powerboating course ... had a couple of lessons since to improve berthing in Marina skills! Live in Lympstone now and want to launch off small jetty at Sowden End - possible only 2hrs or so either side of high water .... Exe estuary is very shallow ... want to keep Rib at home - in garage in winter ... looking at Avon Aventura 4m 2002 40hp 4 stroke outboard in very good condition - is £59995 too much for date of boat? Comes with trailer/cover etc ... has comfy bench seat (not a fan of jockey!) Would be for messing about in estuary - excursions a bit further out in calm weather - 2 or 3 people - for having fun ... some fishing .... visiting seaside towns within easy distance .... what is your collective wisdom? Hubby not interested in boats so this is just my baby!!! Thought about Avon Seasport 360 but my bro said ‘no’ to anything under 4m as will not have good ride in anything other than flat calm. He wants me to go for Avon Searider but not good looking enough for me!! AND don’t take to jockey seat. He’s into wave bashing and wakeboarding etc .... I’m thinking of a bit more sedate fun with occasional speed explosion (I drive a Mini CooperS)
Elaine P
Here you go ,on your doorstep as well ! be quick !
https://www.findafishingboat.com/ribcrft-4-8m/ad-111972

Tags
rib