Old 21 August 2020, 20:24   #1

Town: Furzedown, London
Length: no boat
Another Newb

Hi all

Would much appreciate some advice on all things RIBs

I'm new to it and would value some input about:

Parking - does anyone know how viable it is to store RIBs around Harbours as I've heard some will do this. I'm put off by the annual Harbour fee's as these seem to negate some of the benefit of a RIB in its ability to be stored. I was on the phone to Torbay Harbour and they were saying approx £1500 pa.

Storing at home - if I source a 4.5m - 6m RIB how viable is it to store these at home ? Will I need a big driveway or double garage to either store it inflated on a trailor or deflated ?

Launching - how viable is it to launch a 4.5m+ rib from either a beach or Slipway ?

Coastline limits - could I comfortably cover the Torbay - Dorset coastline in a decent RIB - is this mainly dependent on the outboard size/power ?

Excuse any level of naivety as like I say I'm a novice at the mo but keen to know more about something which looks a stack of fun

Thanks for any help on this

SB
Old 21 August 2020, 20:49   #2

Town: Cardiff
Ok so all options are possible depends on boat, vehicle and slip, costs vary, it’s not cheap......dry stack is popular option vs moorings for ribs or there are many dry land parking options in boat parks near slips or with their own slips
6m on a beach probably needs decent 4wd disco shogun etc 4.5m on a slip can be done with a family hatch back

4.5m probably just fit in a garage 6m would need a bigger than normal domestic garage a barn or warehouse is better many live outside under cover a year round

Dartmouth to exmouth And further is easy on a rib on a nice day.....

Suggest you book a PB2 or similar in the area and go from there....I’m sure someone can suggest a Dorset/Torbay instructor with a suitable rib
Old 21 August 2020, 21:55   #3

Thanks HDAV

So from what you wrote it seems 'dry stack' could be a good move ( dry stack being a dry land parking option right ? )

Do you know comparable costs of dry parking and Harbour mooring ?

Re size, so if I deflate I may be able to store in a garage but inflated over 4.5m I'll need a big garage or store outside covered.

Decent PB2 here by the looks of it and they even do accommodation as a bonus https://www.solentboattraining.co.uk...-accommodation
Old 21 August 2020, 22:21   #4

Costs are very location dependant dry stack is a racking system where boat is stored out of the water on a rack and forklifted in and out as required forklifts are huge any rib should be ok, they tend to be on the quayside, trailer parks tend to be further away so may involve a short tow 1-5 miles (some are quay side) but are generally cheaper than a dry stack in same area and dry stack generally cheaper than a berth in marina
It’s the length of the overall package not eh trailer tend to be the garage issue (door width the next) but 4.5m boat will likely be close to 6m on trailer with overhangs and trailer neck etc a 6m boat 8m on trailer etc etc

Example of a solent drystack (not a recommendation)

https://www.southamptondrystack.co.uk/

Use this to find a few RYA training centres in the area you are interested in launching they often know the local marinas very well https://www.rya.org.uk/Pages/wheres-my-nearest.aspx

Dorset Marine Training Dom and Sarah are worth calling and having a chat too. I’m sure they can suggest local accommodation options also.
Old 21 August 2020, 23:23   #5

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Unless you store it at home, if you want to keep in or close to a harbour on the South Coast it will likely cost a reasonable amount of money. Even keeping a boat on it's trailer in a marina/boatyard by the coast and launching yourself is fairly expensive, although not quite as expensive as dry stacking or a marina berth. Swinging moorings can be fairly cheap, but then you might need a way to get out to it, unless the marina offers a taxi service. There might also be seasonal limits on a mooring, as there are in Poole Harbour. Some caravan or trailer storage places will store the boat on a trailer for much less money, but typically further away from the coast - depends how much time you want to spend towing before/after each time you launch.

Storing anything road legal at home is possible, depending on how much space you have, and how much towing you want to do. I happily used to keep my 9m RIB on the driveway at home, although we live right next to the yacht club where I launch it, so it didn't really have to move it far for launching. As above, you'll probably struggle to fit much above 4.5-5m in a garage due to length, and/or height if it's got an A-frame or similar.

As recommended, I'd get yourself on a Level 2 course at one of the many RYA centres on the South Coast (plenty to choose from in pretty much all harbours, but not all centres are equal!) to get some hands on experience, help shape what you might want to do, what size boat you might want, etc.

Costs vary so much depending on location all you can really do is decide where you would likely keep the boat, and then phone around (or check their websites) to see what prices/packages/facilities the various places would offer. Keeping ashore might well be cheaper, but some people get easily put off by the faff of slipway launching/recovery every time, especially if it's busy or weather/tide conditions aren't ideal, and don't then use the boat much and end up selling fairly quickly!
Old 22 August 2020, 07:56   #6

Cheers Paul

It's a tricky one for me as I can see myself using it a lot on the Devon-Dorset coastline but at this stage I'm not sure how much. I find the idea of parting with min £1k + pa for storage quite galling so would likely keep it at home.

I have in mind to buy one to maximise the benefit of living on a spectacular coastal stretch. If you live in Devon-Dorset this place begs for use of the Sea !

i also have half an eye on a jetski or PWC if preferred; 300 hrs average use doesn't seem much though, so in 3-4 yrs I'll need another one.

Early days as I'm still at the trial and error stage but I would want to avoid buying and then quickly selling through lack of use, as you wrote
Old 22 August 2020, 08:41   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiBrSiBr View Post

i also have half an eye on a jetski or PWC if preferred; 300 hrs average use doesn't seem much though, so in 3-4 yrs I'll need another one.
Where did you get that info? It’s true very few pwcs in the uk will do 100+ hours a year except rental machines but that doesn’t mean they won’t last many many more the jet set go machines in torquay are on 750 hrs ish and 3 years old I think you need to be on the Water quite a lot to do 100 engine running hours a year but people with plenty of time and money do. They also tend to like the new ones and trade up after a couple of years to another new one with warranty being used isn’t what causes most issues it’s lack of use.......
Old 22 August 2020, 08:49   #8

Interesting HDAV, did someone tell you that about JetSetGo re 750 ish hrs ?

I just thought buying a new or new/used PWC the figures I'd seen suggested 300hrs use, which I suppose if using eg 50hrs a year would still give decent use.

Could a JetSki cover Torquay to Bournemouth anyone know ?

sb
Old 22 August 2020, 09:15   #9

If you are interested in a PWC go and speak to Simon at Gliddon marine in brixham.

Torquay to Bournemouth is certainly do able on the right day, fuel is the issue, you would need to refuel for the return leg and to be safe probably either carry extra fuel or have a refuelling point En-route looks like it would be a 90+ mile trip which is doable but doesn’t leave a lot of margin for safety (depends on many factors engine size, speed, conditions etc)

We go further on PWCs than many many Rib/boat owners fuel cost and availability are a major factor If your looking at those sort of distances regularly then fuel capacity is always a factor so look for bots with 100L plus tanks as a cruising rate of 0.6/7l a mile is probably about right I budget 1l a mile and haven’t run out yet......

PWC are great for riding solo, easy to tow and happily fit in a single garage with room for the additional stuff required.
Old 22 August 2020, 09:23   #10

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Are you going to keep in London and always tow down from there, or you have a place more local? Personally I wouldn't want to always have a 3+ hour tow there and back every time I launch and that would definitely limit how much boating I do.

As above, 100 hours a year I imagine is pretty high for most leisure users, unless you really are using it very regularly. I suspect most leisure small craft manage 20-50 hours a year. This year has obviously been a bit weird with COVID, but for me has actually meant I've been living in Poole instead of London and working remotely, and thus able to use my RIB far more once the initial strict lockdown was lifted, at least until our baby arrived a few weeks ago! The boat was used for a few weeks in March before the lockdown, and then pretty much every evening from when the yacht club marina entrance opened again in early May through until the end of July when baby turned up, and all that equated to 61 hours. That was with the boat afloat in the marina for the duration, and me living a 2 min walk away from it, and able to just jump on and head out very easily any day of the week. In a normal year of using it on weekends away from London, etc., it wouldn't have had nearly as much usage.

Torquay to Bournemouth is certainly doable on a jetski if you really wanted (some people have been known to take them across the Channel) given the right weather forecast, but not what most people will use them for, and not the most comfortable experience! Fuel tank size would be the main problem, as most jet skis aren't designed for distance cruising. Personally if doing passages like that is what you think you'll be doing I'd get a RIB, although to be honest even for many RIB owners, that is a pretty long passage and not something they'll be doing every weekend. I quite regularly go between e.g. Poole and Weymouth or Poole and the Solent, doing around 60 miles round trip, but that's on a pretty serious 9m offshore RIB that rides easily in most sea states. Among my family and friends even that is quite an acquired taste, and most prefer a much shorter trip! I'd think a bit more about how you might use the boat, but 90 miles by RIB (or jetski) is far more than the vast majority of users will ever do.
Old 22 August 2020, 10:04   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbrown22 View Post

Torquay to Bournemouth is certainly doable on a jetski if you really wanted (some people have been known to take them across the Channel) given the right weather forecast, but not what most people will use them for, and not the most comfortable experience! Fuel tank size would be the main problem, as most jet skis aren't designed for distance cruising. Personally if doing passages like that is what you think you'll be doing I'd get a RIB or boat, although to be honest even for many RIB owners, that is a pretty long passage and not something they'll be doing every weekend.
The English Channel is doable on an overloaded SIB with ancient OB...... I have been round the Isle of Wight that’s in the region of 75 miles and a common trip, round Anglesey is another, also crossing the Bristol Channel ilfracombe to Oxwich etc is doable but long open water cruising can get boring, not a lot to see, the solent and south coast has more places to stop better provisions for refuelling on the water and plenty to see and a lot more passing boat traffic

PWC have safety in numbers so always recommended to go as part of a group of which there are many, there is a tv show dangerous waters about some guys going around the world it’s on amazon or Netflix and one of the sky channels Occasionally and is a great insight into long distance PWC riding there is also the YouTube series Harry Dwyer going round the U.K. on a small rib Godwin that he restored in another video series that’s worth watching the machines are generally far more capable than the operators.

If you do decide to go for a PWC then I would absolutely say Yamaha no question especially if wanting to do long distance. FX HO is the tool for the job.
Old 22 August 2020, 10:43   #12

Thanks Gents for the info and congrats on the bubba Paul.

I was using the Torquay to Bournemouth journey as a marker as I suspect this is the furthest I would go, maybe to Jersey/Guernsey. As long as RIB's don't get ruined around the rubber they should last years I would think and need maintenence here and there and perhaps a new outboard after a while but correct me if I'm out on this.

I like the overloaded SIB with an antique OB - a tale to tell ...

I'll have a look for those Netflix shows you mentioned HDAV, thanks. Are you an avid Jetskier then as it looks like you know a bit about them ?

Those Yamaha's look good, one here - Seem to go for about £10k

Good point about London as I'm not sure if it will be to sell up and move to Devon, which I love, or if I can swing the second home scenario, the latter I doubt though as I suspect I won't afford a second home with enough storage space. It may be I get seriously into the Solent which is doable from London as I also love Bournemouth and Poole and Southamptons good as well but not sure what its like for watersports etc.

From what you guys are saying then RIBs are great cruisers and PWC's maybe have a bit more individual tricks to them. PWC's do look easier to pack up and take out when ready as there's no deflate, inflate or they can be easier stored it seems saving harbour or storage costs. They both look great and a RIB can carry passengers as a plus, which PWC's are limited on.

Are 4x4 a prerequisite with PWC's to tow and launch as many seem to tout 4x4's as needed with a RIB ?

Could I get away with an Audi A5 to tow a RIB or PWC or would I struggle here with launching etc and a 4x4 would likely be needed for this ?

SiBr
Old 22 August 2020, 11:25   #13

Quote:
Thanks Gents for the info and congrats on the bubba Paul.

I was using the Torquay to Bournemouth journey as a marker as I suspect this is the furthest I would go, maybe to Jersey/Guernsey. As long as RIB's don't get ruined around the rubber they should last years I would think and need maintenence here and there and perhaps a new outboard after a while but correct me if I'm out on this.

I like the overloaded SIB with an antique OB - ha ha a tale to tell ...
They tubes are typically hypalon or PVC, hypalon lasts longer and is tougher PVC is cheaper and more quickly sun damaged (not an issue if stored inside) generally dont last as long. Outboards are generally the expensive bit, buy a well known ad serviced unit with good support and they in leisure use will rarely wear out, lack of use kills them much faster than regular use

Quote:
I'll have a look for those Netflix shows you mentioned HDAV, thanks. Are you an avid Jetskier then as it looks like you know a bit about them ?
I have put nearly 200 hours on mine in 5 years so i'm out as mush as life, weather, tide allows and im 40min-1h from my local launch and have towed around the country to launch too. I dont do lakes thats just wasting fuel typically do 50+ mile trips at a time condition dependant

Quote:
Good point about London as I'm not sure if it will be to sell up and move to Devon, which I love, or if I can swing the second home scenario, the latter I doubt though as I suspect I won't afford a second home with enough storage space. It may be I get seriously into the Solent which is doable from London as I also love Bournemouth and Poole and Southamptons good as well but not sure what its like for watersports etc.

From what you guys are saying then RIBs are great cruisers and PWC's maybe have a bit more individual tricks to them. PWC's do look easier to pack up and take out when ready as there's no deflate, inflate or they can be easier stored it seems saving harbour or storage costs. They both look great and a RIB can carry passengers as a plus, which PWC's are limited on.
Some people like to ride 2 up on a PWC i dont, they have a general max person limit of 3 but not ideal and there is weight limit to consider 240kg for a Yamaha.

Have you considered a boat club like urban truant or boat club Trafalgar? They are aimed squarely at people in your situation and might be the best way of dipping a toe into the water of boat/RIB ownership

If you think it looks expensive compared to buying, servicing, insuring and berthing a craft per year i say its cheap boating https://www.utrib.club/

https://www.boatclubtrafalgar.com/

Quote:
Are 4x4 a prerequisite with PWC's to tow and launch as many seem to tout 4x4's as needed with a RIB ?

Could I get away with an Audi A5 to tow a RIB or PWC or would I struggle here with launching etc and a 4x4 would likely be needed for this ?
no need for a 4x4 for either, towing on the road, check cars towing capacity and licence classifications before buying though as depending on when you passed your test and what car you own you may not be able to tow boat legally even when the car can (any unbraked trailer combo under 750kg is fine and that incldues all PWCs). 4x4 have greater towing capacity and are better on beaches, steep slips etc i tow with a FWD and have had no issues but i dont beach launch (thats what tractors are for)
Old 22 August 2020, 12:35   #14

Cheers HDAV

Those boat clubs look a good call. Can you recommend any good PWC club's online like RIBnet, as I might join some of these to compare ?

After checking online it looks like JetSki's are easier to tow and launch without a 4x4, although you do get some enthusiasts by the looks of it

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAK
Old 22 August 2020, 12:51   #15

Quote:
Cheers HDAV

Those boat clubs look a good call. Can you recommend any good PWC club's online like RIBnet, as I might join some of these to compare ?

After checking online it looks like JetSki's are easier to tow and launch without a 4x4, although you do get some enthusiasts by the looks of it

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAK
Thats a 4wd drive isnt it? AWD by Haldex controls

Closest i can suggest is greenhulk (US based but quite a few UK members)Greenhulk Personal Watercraft Performance Forums most of the action happens on facebook a couple of groups you might consider joining https://www.facebook.com/groups/855288287900081/ https://www.facebook.com/groups/272739243340504/ if you think a PWC might be for you, there are a couple of safari options i recommend taking a trip out on one and see what you think https://jetsetgo.club/ or https://www.jurassicjetskitours.co.uk/ or https://www.cornwallwaverunnersafari...et-ski-safari/ or Jet Skiing - oxwichws

Old 22 August 2020, 13:05   #16

Thanks bud

I reckon JetSetGo is a good call as I love Torbay and get down there with some frequency.

That Yamaha FXHO seems to go for about £10k newish isn't it and it's around a litre a mile of petrol and is it regular unleaded petrol they take ?
Old 22 August 2020, 13:17   #17

Quote:
Thanks bud

I reckon JetSetGo is a good call as I love Torbay and get down there with some frequency.

That Yamaha FXHO seems to go for about £10k newish isn't it and it's around a litre a mile of petrol and is it regular unleaded petrol they take ?
yes the none supercharged skis take regular unleaded the FX HO is a great machine the 16-18 model would be my choice personally other slightly cheaper option is the VX cruiser HO both same 1800cc motor VX lighter and more playful a friend has (well several have) the FX ho and will do 85+ mile to a tank cruising sensibly the VX deluxe with the 3 cyl 1.0 TR-1 motor will do 100+ to a tank ridden gently and can be found for £7k ish a few years old.

Jet set go mostly use the smaller EX models IIRC (same TR-1 motor) great fun but less of a long range cruise, lack storage etc, most of them are on 750+ hours and 3 years old. Ex safari skis come up for sale and do sell but lower prices than the privately owned skis. I know of a 2018 FX SVHO with over 200 hours in private hands but rare in the uk, far more 10 year old skis with under 100 hours than 2 year old ones with 200+

https://www.yamaha-waverunner.co/new-waverunners/

My choice may well be https://www.yamaha-waverunner.co/pro...vx-cruiser-ho/ as the best VFM model available at the moment
Old 22 August 2020, 13:30   #18

That VX cruiser is pretty badass.

Do you get a choice of trim finishes and optional extra's ?
Old 22 August 2020, 14:00   #19

Quote:
That VX cruiser is pretty badass.

Do you get a choice of trim finishes and optional extra's ?
Yes and no the 2021 range has just been announced and has more options and things to choose from speaker systems and things there is a small range of options and colours to choose from speak to Gliddon for specifics
Old 22 August 2020, 22:16   #20

I will add there are lots of scam listings on eBay and never buy a ski without a water test (unless brand new or from a main dealer with a proper warranty) I would say the same for a rib but perhaps less important with an out board? I would still want to at least see the boat on the water under load performing as it should