Old 11 March 2020, 13:34   #1

Town: Kilkenny
Boat name: Force 8
Make: XS Ribs
Length: 8m +
Engine: Outboard Petrol
Auxiliary Engine for an XS850 - Advice Please

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum and I have a question about what auxiliary engine to put on my XS 850. I have been doing a lot of research over the past few days and I am currently looking at the Mercury 9.9 command thrust model. This is available in L and XL shaft. The problem I have is that top of Transom to bottom of hull where the AUX. will be mounted is 28 1/2 ". This is above the max length for the XL 9.9. I know there are mounting brackets available but I was trying to avoid this if possible. So my question is, does anyone on here own an 8.5m XS (XS850) with an Aux. outboard fitted? If so what size did you go with and would it keep you off the rocks in the event it is required?

Thanks In Advance.
Old 11 March 2020, 16:09   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by XS850 View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum and I have a question about what auxiliary engine to put on my XS 850. I have been doing a lot of research over the past few days and I am currently looking at the Mercury 9.9 command thrust model. This is available in L and XL shaft. The problem I have is that top of Transom to bottom of hull where the AUX. will be mounted is 28 1/2 ". This is above the max length for the XL 9.9. I know there are mounting brackets available but I was trying to avoid this if possible. So my question is, does anyone on here own an 8.5m XS (XS850) with an Aux. outboard fitted? If so what size did you go with and would it keep you off the rocks in the event it is required?

Thanks In Advance.
I have a 7.4m delta diesel and have a similar problem however as the hull will be running as a displacement hull you will probably be fine even though you are a bit short on length. I brought my delta back a couple of miles on a calm day with a short shaft Yamaha 5hp, steering wasnt great and reverse prety much none existant but did get us home. Maybe see if you can borrow something to try before you commit
Old 12 March 2020, 15:39   #3

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
I had a short shaft on my ribquest 585 24 degrees dead rise the prop was in plenty of water next to the tube as said your at displacement speed so no problems I will say the high thrust engines are worth getting I had a 60 on a fast fisher loads of grunt 10 hp will get you out of trouble even get you home