Old 23 February 2014, 13:49   #1

Town: Bay Area
Boat name: Explorer
Make: Seadoo
Length: 4m +
Engine: Inboard
Dooin it in the Bay Area

Hello friends I just picked up my new to me 1994 seadoo explorer. My buddy overseas got my attention with ribs a year ago and the search was on for something small enough to fit in my 40ft storage container.

I'm really new to this so please bear with the newbie questions. It's my first boat and my first rib.

I'm also hoping to meet a group in the Bay Area to go out cruising.

I'm really glad to discover this and the forum.

Old 23 February 2014, 21:41   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Cam Wrecker? [wonders, somewhat horrified, exactly what that means]

Congrats on your new acquisition. Can't say I'm all that familiar with Seadoo's.

As far as I know there aren't too many Ribbers in the Bay Area, and even less that regularly go out on the SF Bay. I do most of my boating in either Monterey or up on the North Coast (Mendocino/Ft Bragg area), for access to diving; though I have been known to take my nieces out for a cruise on the Estuary or the Bay proper (they're 4yo triplets.)

Anyway, welcome to the forum.

jky
Old 24 February 2014, 05:43   #3

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Welcome to Rib.net. I believe those Seadoo's are pretty quick. I am more familiar with their hard boats, and PWC's though. The Rotax are a good quality motor. Should be fun.

Sometimes I use my boat for other things than diving too. Yesterday we took a family friend out on the SF Bay for a tour and hiked Angel Island. Always fun, and it was a beautiful day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Morris.JPG
Views:	327
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	91446  
Old 24 February 2014, 23:44   #4

Thank you guys! Estuary that will be in my list. How much air should I put in the rib? It feels like it's so full like it might pop.

Peter I was driving across the golden gate yesterday and it was a beautiful day. However,I have to make sure I got all the coast guard requirements and transfer the title in my name before I even go out. Maybe I will do a lake test before anything else.
Old 25 February 2014, 01:43   #5

You MUST get a pressure gauge. There is no way you can even get close without it.

A local lake would be a good place to start learning your new boat. You can see how it handles fast turns and such in a more controlled environment. Wear lifejackets and hang on cause those things whip!

What part of the Bay Area do you live in?
Old 25 February 2014, 02:26   #6

I'm in Daly City. So I am under the impression that ribs are a really small community few and far apart.

Is there a local group that exist? A local forum?

How often do you take your rib out?

Where can I get that pressure gauge?
Old 25 February 2014, 19:56   #7

I am up North in Santa Rosa. I saw 4 RIB's out on the bay over the weekend.

There is a USA forum on this board. That would be considered local on a small global board.

Lately I haven't used my SIB very much as my home renovation has gotten in the way of diving. Too bad as the vis has been 80+ feet around Carmel.

You can buy pressure gauges, from most inflatable stores IE Defender and the like. I made mine.
Old 26 February 2014, 05:02   #8

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam wrecker View Post
I'm in Daly City. So I am under the impression that ribs are a really small community few and far apart.

Is there a local group that exist? A local forum?
Not that I'm aware of.

Quote:
How often do you take your rib out?
I used to be out in Monterey about every weekend, but a change in my financial situation and a few physical issues have me dry for about the last year (aside from a couple of abalone trips.)

Quote:
Where can I get that pressure gauge?
Try NRS Web; they have most things. You have to get one that works with whatever valves you have (or get a suitable pump with a gauge built-in.)

The Oakland Estuary is probably the closest you'll find to a lake from Daly City; it's well protected, and doesn't get swell per se, though it can get choppy in heavy winds. I usually launch at the public launch ramp at the eastern end of Grand St in Alameda, but the newish Oakland Aquatic Center near 5th street is another option.

Let me know when you're heading out, and there's a [small] possibility I can meet you there.

jky