Old 25 August 2024, 12:29   #1

Town: Devon
Make: Ribeye A600
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 115
First Rib…

Hi all.

We have just bought a 2014 Ribeye A600 as our first boat. I am a total newbie to the boating world having never even been on a boat before buying the rib!

My wife and I both did our Level 2 Powerboat course before the boat was delivered, and have just completed our first two successful outings, the first being super successful as we stumbled across a pod of dolphins which was awesome.

The second trip also successful as it was in slightly more challenging conditions (although nothing crazy) which really helped with our confidence.

I have loads of questions, many of which I’m sure will expose my total boating ignorance, so please be gentle!!
Old 25 August 2024, 12:50   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Hello and welcome to the forum, lots of experience on here to answer your queries. Where is your local boating area?
Old 25 August 2024, 12:58   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Hello and welcome to the forum, lots of experience on here to answer your queries. Where is your local boating area?
Thanks buddy. We live in Gloucestershire and mooring the boat in Devon - first two runs were Teignmouth to Torquay.
Old 25 August 2024, 13:02   #4
RIBnet admin team

That’s a great location to have a boat based, lively entrance at some tide times combined with certain wind conditions.
Old 25 August 2024, 13:46   #5

Quote:
That’s a great location to have a boat based, lively entrance at some tide times combined with certain wind conditions.
You’re not wrong. Day one was crazy at the entrance despite calm sea conditions once properly out. Assume it was what I’ve heard called a ‘confused sea’?? Whereas day two was 3ft waves and we got drenched on the way back, and yet the entrance was really calm!! A lesson right there of how much I need to learn about the sea, as it confused the heck out of me!!
Old 25 August 2024, 14:22   #6
RIBnet admin team

There is significant interaction between tide height (i.e. depth over seabed), tide direction, which part of the tide cycle, wind direction and strength. These factors often change between setting out and returning to offer something of a surprise in that last leg before mooring up.

For example at Teignmouth when the water is low on a fast ebbing spring tide with an onshore brisk wind conditions over the bar could be very challenging.

We had two weeks boating there a few years back so experienced the variations in the entrance.
Old 25 August 2024, 14:30   #7

Quote:
There is significant interaction between tide height (i.e. depth over seabed), tide direction, which part of the tide cycle, wind direction and strength. These factors often change between setting out and returning to offer something of a surprise in that last leg before mooring up.
Indeed, so much to learn!!

Tags
rib