Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
As I put in post #11...
don't get hung up on image stabilisation given my experience on a bouncy SIB was it wasn't needed as long as the camera isn't mounted in a "joggly" position.

Im curious to see your steady footage from a boat with Gopro 4 Fenlander..any chance of seeing a short clip ?
Old 21 October 2021, 17:13   #22
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Sadly I don't have a Youtube account that I can access... just a dormant one. I played back from the camera to a 42" TV and the footage didn't jump out as shaky.

It was with the GoPro mounted on the short Borika stalk on the Borika socket of the Elling about midpoint on one tube. The choppy day didn't make it shaky but weirdly on the river previously at some speeds despite flat water the outboard could set up a tube resonance at particular revs only going displacement speeds.

Having said all that don't think I mean my Hero 4 would be any good for the sort of steady footage you seek unless combined with a gimbal... I was really saying it would still give useable footage for Matt to judge if he liked the concept.
Old 21 October 2021, 17:18   #23

Its only minutes to create a Youtube account and its free..but no need to go to that trouble Fenlander as I know how shaky footage is..I tried everything from fixing it to the Frib via solid supports and handheld. It could save Matt some money as he may decide a Hero 7 is better for his needs as it has electronic stabilization which does help a good bit ..which is why I asked
Old 21 October 2021, 17:23   #24

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
I've used an SJCAM SJ4000 for about 5-6 years when kayaking, skiing and it produces some good results. Bit shaky at times when skiing and kayaking, but I feel that adds to the finished video in as much as you are reliving whatever piste/stretch of water you've skied/kayaked. 90% of the footage is filmed relatively close as its attached to your helmet, so you are filming where you are looking.
I thought it would be ideal for videoing some footage when out sibbing, I was wrong. Far too shaky and bouncy and as the Gurnard has already mentioned, everything appeared out of proportion. The shore line was bent. The hills, mountains other boats all appeared to be small and lacking in definition and detail.
The videos I have recently produced have all been done on my mobile. Although a bit shaky/bouncy and not in the same league as The Gurnards, I'm happy with them in as much as they tell the story I wanted to tell.
Inspired by The Gurnards productions, I've just purchased a cheap gimble for my mobile. Hopefully once I get the hang of it, the shaking should be greatly reduced.
Old 21 October 2021, 17:29   #25
RIBnet admin team

In other circumstances I would get an account which I will do one day and upload to show you but the footage was filmed from a tube mount posn meaning Mrs F is in all the footage and she was in discomfort every few moments with the way the Elling behaved for us on that choppy day. That discomfort is obvious in her movement... and her face the multiple times she turns round to me going "ouch"... remember she has painful joint problems.

So it would entail great risk to myself to have that on youtube!
Old 21 October 2021, 17:32   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
I've just purchased a cheap gimble for my mobile. Hopefully once I get the hang of it, the shaking should be greatly reduced.
That is what a lot of folks do now Steve and why mentioned it. Most folks have a Smart Phone capable of video and a gimbal is less that £100 .. Its as easy to use as a Gopro too.. but not as robust and cant use underwater It does give better results from the point of view it doesnt distort everything the way the action cameras do. So saying the later Gopros have a liner mode and a limited type of zoom too.
Old 21 October 2021, 17:36   #27

Quote:
In other circumstances I would get an account which I will do one day and upload to show you but the footage was filmed from a tube mount posn meaning Mrs F is in all the footage and she was in discomfort every few moments with the way the Elling behaved for us on that choppy day. That discomfort is obvious in her movement... and her face the multiple times she turns round to me going "ouch"... remember she has painful joint problems.

So it would entail great risk to myself to have that on youtube!

Hey thats OK Fenlander ..and I certainly dont want to upset things for you or your good missus. I thought you would have a few clips of different trips and conditions , I didnt realise your experience was so limited
Old 21 October 2021, 18:12   #28
RIBnet admin team

I was new to the GoPro concept buying the used one just before Covid hit... so my use has only been a couple of times on the river and once at sea... oh and loads cycling round the village initially.

>>>Far too shaky and bouncy and as the Gurnard has already mentioned, everything appeared out of proportion. The shore line was bent. The hills, mountains other boats all appeared to be small and lacking in definition and detail.

That's the weird thing with my footage... the horizon rises, falls and twists with the boats attitude... the Mrs is joggling and crashing on her seat... the Garmin mounted to her seat also joggles with the seat... but the GoPro itself stays true to the tube its filming from and suffers almost no vibration induced shake.

I'm going to see if it's possible to crop GoPro footage to cut Mrs F off and if I can I'll set up a Youtube because I'd be totally happy for The Gurnard and others to say now that's what we'd call shaky when they see it.
Old 21 October 2021, 18:31   #29

Quote:

I'm going to see if it's possible to crop GoPro footage to cut Mrs F off and if I can I'll set up a Youtube because I'd be totally happy for The Gurnard and others to say now that's what we'd call shaky when they see it.

You don’t need to go to that bother although it is possible. Here is a gopro 4 firmly attached to my brothers kayak.. and its stable relative to the kayak. The horizon is all over the place ..its the law of physics..and Im willing to bet that a lot of folks will suffer sea sickness watching hours of footage like that. Im presuming that is what your “steady” footage is like ? At least now others can get a feel for old technology ..and what you actually meant by stable

Here is a link to another recent video where I presume the camera is mounted to the A Frame..so its not just me that got shaky video without a gimbal.

Hope you dont object to my linking to your video Lakelandterrier ..I did enjoy watching it but feel it would be far better without the shake

https://www.rib.net/forum/f16/fun-of...int-87219.html

I will leave it at that for this thread, as I do appreciate some folks dont mind having shaky video..but at least folks should now know what to expect
Old 21 October 2021, 18:58   #30

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
I bought myself a Hero 9 and we use it on the boat either attached via a tube clamp to a handrail on the console or handheld by my son. I bought the waterproof cover for it.

The footage is amazing and the image stabilisation is excellent - much better than I would have thought possible.

There's a myriad of choices in terms of video or image settings. I quite like the timelapse stuff. Whilst I set out with good intentions on the editing side, I've yet to find the time to investigate it properly. My son got some quite good results using the Quik app which you can also use to control the GoPro.

As others have said, the GoPro captures fantastic footage but what separates the men from the boys so to speak is what you do with it post capture.

I can't currently upload to Youtube as I did one of those Hitler Downfall meme's a few years ago. Someone asked me to show it to them recently and it has resulted in me having my Youtube account suspended. A look on line suggests the movie makers are getting Youtube to take down the accounts that have a Hitler meme due to copyright infringement.
Old 21 October 2021, 20:09   #31

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Personally I like the raw footage not taking anything away from Donny his video’s are excellent but take a lot of time and commitment to produce credit to him. for me I shoot short clips so not boring (I hope) mainly for me but I do share if appropriate to show an area or wildlife. So the isaw does all I need.
Old 21 October 2021, 22:27   #32
RIBnet admin team

Ahh Donny your brother's video and the link to Lakeland's Start Point one are great examples of how our perceptions of "shaky" differ.... explains it perfectly.

Yes indeed my Hero4 footage is just like your brothers of his kayak... the camera and its mount are not adding any shake, joggle or jitter to the video and the image just reflects the actual movement. I'm totally happy with that for home use.

However Lakeland's of Start Point is actually demonstrating (and I hope he'll forgive me too for using it as an example) a perfect example of camera and mount induced joggle/jitter to the footage. It is this extra movement that in-camera image stabilisation should largely remove. I noted when he caught some air, and when throttled, back this jitter stopped just leaving the natural movement of the waves and horizon.

My guess is your gimbal is way better than in-camera stabilisation in bringing a straight horizon.... but do you need that camera internal system on too?