Old 17 March 2022, 09:33   #1

Town: Polruan
Boat name: Maze Coot
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda 20
Hello all from Polruan, Cornwall

Honwave T32ie and BF20
Boat is in Polruan most of the time. Used as river taxi and for coastal exploring. New boat last year.
Am getting all of the fiddly stuff bought around the base boat motor combination I started out with.
Planning some good fun this coming summer of 2022z
Old 17 March 2022, 14:04   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Hello and welcome to the forum. That T32 must go well with a 20hp!

We had a brilliant couple of weeks one summer pre-Covid based near the old slipway on Station Rd Fowey. Sadly quite a few days wasted with our 20hp outboard faulting then had to hire an 8hp which restricted our outings a bit. But we thought the area brilliant for sibbing... both in the estuary as you say as a water taxi and beyond round the coast. Hope to return.

That's our grey SIB moored just off the old slip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunny slip.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	140044  
Old 17 March 2022, 14:49   #3

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: Sea Dragon
Make: Tornado Viking
Length: 6m +
Engine: 100 Yammy
Welcome, I often get over your way - let me know if I can help with anything
Old 17 March 2022, 22:37   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Hello and welcome to the forum. That T32 must go well with a 20hp!

We had a brilliant couple of weeks one summer pre-Covid based near the old slipway on Station Rd Fowey. Sadly quite a few days wasted with our 20hp outboard faulting then had to hire an 8hp which restricted our outings a bit. But we thought the area brilliant for sibbing... both in the estuary as you say as a water taxi and beyond round the coast. Hope to return.

That's our grey SIB moored just off the old slip.

I was born down this way, just starting to spend more time back down here… lovely having the boat to mess around with.
Old 18 March 2022, 07:54   #5

Town: Cornwall
Boat name: Matchless
Make: Ribcraft 6.8m
Engine: Mercury 3.4l 225 V6
MMSI: 232028056
RIBase
Hello there from further along the coast in SE Cornwall my boat is kept at the dry stack in Plymouth but we regularly run down to Fowey and normally pop into Lantic and Whitsand Bay as our house is in a coastal village there. Some friends have a couple of Honwave’s and a Mercury sib plus a few others who all beach launch so occasionally a mini flotilla descends

Apart from Lantic and the run up to Golant Polkerris is another nice run for a SIB equally Polperro is a nice run with some good pubs!
Old 18 March 2022, 12:34   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickW View Post
Hello there from further along the coast in SE Cornwall my boat is kept at the dry stack in Plymouth but we regularly run down to Fowey and normally pop into Lantic and Whitsand Bay as our house is in a coastal village there. Some friends have a couple of Honwave’s and a Mercury sib plus a few others who all beach launch so occasionally a mini flotilla descends

Apart from Lantic and the run up to Golant Polkerris is another nice run for a SIB equally Polperro is a nice run with some good pubs!

All exciting for the summer isn’t it?
Old 18 March 2022, 17:48   #7

Town: Leicester
Make: Yam
Welcome, its a lovely area to be based.

I was trying to suss out Polruan last year, but was struggling for info. I hope its ok if I ask a couple of questions, there was virtually no info on the internet and the google earth car hadn't ventured right down into the quayside, so I couldn't read the signs

It looks like there is a slipway with a couple of parking spots adjacent on the quay. Are these public parking, or for fisherman / harbourmaster only? Is there a charge for the slipway? Do you know who runs the floating pontoon? If possible I like to try and book a pontoon spot for a week when on holiday, so I can leave the boat in the water and maximise use.

sorry to ambush you with loads of questions!
Old 18 March 2022, 19:08   #8
RIBnet admin team

I'm sure the OP will have some local info but the harbour guide is a start.

https://foweyharbour.co.uk/wp-conten...Guide21web.pdf

When we were there we paid the harbour dues for two weeks which was £60 or £80 as far as I can remember and that included the slipway use. The pontoons are only supposed to be limited to 2hr stays but there was no doubt there were small boats in the same place day after day so perhaps the 2hrs is just for craft not a dinghy.

That parking near the Polruan slip rarely had a space... the intended parking for the village is up the top at the hill car park. The slip is super busy with people in the summer too.

If it were me and I'd found it was OK to be on the pontoon all week I'd launch at Caffa Mill slip at the top end of Fowey. Loads of space to set up there and the slip used for boats not paddling.
Old 18 March 2022, 20:08   #9

Quote:
I'm sure the OP will have some local info but the harbour guide is a start.

https://foweyharbour.co.uk/wp-conten...Guide21web.pdf

When we were there we paid the harbour dues for two weeks which was £60 or £80 as far as I can remember and that included the slipway use. The pontoons are only supposed to be limited to 2hr stays but there was no doubt there were small boats in the same place day after day so perhaps the 2hrs is just for craft not a dinghy.

That parking near the Polruan slip rarely had a space... the intended parking for the village is up the top at the hill car park. The slip is super busy with people in the summer too.

If it were me and I'd found it was OK to be on the pontoon all week I'd launch at Caffa Mill slip at the top end of Fowey. Loads of space to set up there and the slip used for boats not paddling.

This is pretty much accurate… saves me some single digit typing! So thanks…
Old 18 March 2022, 20:12   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blankton View Post

I was trying to suss out Polruan last year, but was struggling for info. I hope its ok if I ask a couple of questions, there was virtually no info on the internet and the google earth car hadn't ventured right down into the quayside, so I couldn't read the signs

It looks like there is a slipway with a couple of parking spots adjacent on the quay. Are these public parking, or for fisherman / harbourmaster only? Is there a charge for the slipway? Do you know who runs the floating pontoon? If possible I like to try and book a pontoon spot for a week when on holiday, so I can leave the boat in the water and maximise use.

There’s a lovely campsite at the top. There’s holiday lets all around. And I do launch from Polruan quay all the time. But without taking the place over if you get my drift… foot pump not noisy e-pump etc. You’re fine to leave a sib under 3.6m on the pontoon as well… go to the Fowey harbour office once your boat is on the water and pay them there.

Loads of lovely boating all around us … my stamping ground for half a century and more. And you’re welcome to come join us too!
Old 18 March 2022, 20:17   #11

Thanks both. I was looking at the campsite, which is why I was interested in Polruan side. Good to hear its as nice as it looks in the pictures.
Old 18 March 2022, 20:35   #12

Quote:
Thanks both. I was looking at the campsite, which is why I was interested in Polruan side. Good to hear its as nice as it looks in the pictures.

Book it. I used it loads in the past. Message me before you come down and if I’m around I can point you in a few directions.
Old 18 March 2022, 22:05   #13
RIBnet admin team

Do you mean the Penmarlam camp site? If so we had a look and it's great. Nice cafe with the comedy guys and slipway at the bottom plus good pontoon. Clean modern toilet/showers just up from slip. Very steep though so you wouldn't want to be using transom wheels and taking the SIB back up to the campsite at night.

Pic from pontoon of steep slip, cafe in trees to left of slip.... also from top of slip showing cafe to right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mixtow pontoon.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	140063   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mixtow top of slipway.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	140064  
Old 18 March 2022, 22:22   #14

Quote:
Do you mean the Penmarlam camp site? If so we had a look and it's great. Nice cafe with the comedy guys and slipway at the bottom plus good pontoon. Clean modern toilet/showers just up from slip. Very steep though so you wouldn't want to be using transom wheels and taking the SIB back up to the campsite at night.

Pic from pontoon of steep slip, cafe in trees to left of slip.... also from top of slip showing cafe to right.

Not penmarlam - Polruan. Penmarlam is up the river a bit. Though obviously you can stay there too. Penmarlam is a boat yard and it is steep - in Polruan we are not half as steep for launching but you’ll not want to pull your boat back up the hill! Better to launch it in the morning when it’s quiet
Old 18 March 2022, 23:05   #15

I had seen both campsites, my plan was to stay at the one in Polruan, so I could walk into the village on an evening and go to the pub - so long as launching at Polruan itself was possible.
Old 19 March 2022, 03:34   #16

Town: Llantwit Fardre, Pontypri
Boat name: Zodiac
Make: Zodiac Cadet
Engine: Evinrude 9.9hp
Quote:

Hi,
I had my very first launch from Polruan a few years ago....very embarrassing as couldn't get a launch wheel up and kept getting stuck in the sand and going around in circles, then the dog set off the car alarm....the ferry passengers loved it so much the waited for the next ferry.... but never mind!
The car park spaces are a first come first served and cost me £5 all day and the launching from the beach at the bottom of Fore street was free. We now holiday the other side near Par at East Crinnis which is a lovely site and we often launch from the public slipway in Fowey which is also free apart from the car parking. I've only used the pontoon to temp moor at whilst we had sandwiches and nobody questioned us!
We are down again in July and plan to go on a few days out sightseeing from our SIB from Fowey and I'm aiming to do some offshore fishing whilst she does some more coastal path walks. I might try launching from Charlestown if its cheap/free as well. Hope this is helpful
Old 19 March 2022, 11:12   #17

Town: Padstow
Boat name: Na
love that story

I too have provided entertainment for visitors on many occasions.
Old 19 March 2022, 11:50   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flobelle View Post
I too have provided entertainment for visitors on many occasions.

🤣… sound promising
Old 19 March 2022, 16:06   #19
RIBnet admin team

>>>couldn't get a launch wheel up and kept getting stuck in the sand and going around in circles, then the dog set off the car alarm...

Has to be said that's a top quality event.
Old 19 March 2022, 16:10   #20

Town: Aldridge
Boat name: Raptor
Make: Raptor
Engine: Yamaha 10hp
Hi folks hope all is well, had my first outing in fowey last year and loved it so nice there. We stopped at penmarlem campsite nice site and like other have said the boat parks at the bottom of the hill is brilliant to leave your boat in for a week on the floating pontoon and go down when you want without any hassle. Me and the wife are going down to try Dartmouth next weekend then move round to fowey again. if any of you guys would like to go out fishing it would be good to hook up with likeminded people for advise as I’m quite new to offshore fishing from a rib and it’s quite daunting going out on your own. we looked at the other camp sites and you can store your boat on the floating pontoon just a short walk from it . Think it cost me about 140 quid to store my boat in the water for a week this may seem expensive but I had showers, parking all the time, wash off area and petrol onsite plus there’s no hassle of taking you boat out and putting it back in . Hope this is some help