Old 13 July 2022, 20:41   #1

Town: Shrewsbury
Make: Highfield
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115
Hello!! Looking for Menai Straits knowledge 🙌🏻

Hi guys, Harry here!!
New yo the group for posting but have always used it for knowledge and insight from others - so thank you!!

I'm looking for a bit of reassurance I suppose... or perhaps even properly advised!

There's lots of posts around this, but in short, I have a 5.6 highfield with a 115hp Honda. I've ran through maps in detail and believe it possible to get up the straits at low tide.

Do you agree?

I've done it either side of high before, but obviously not low - hence the question.

I have read others sating only high/slack, but I wonder whether they are larger sailing boats without the power and obviously much larger hulls against the sand banks.

Any experience / comments on this really would be appreciated.
Old 13 July 2022, 21:21   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal87 View Post
Hi guys, Harry here!!
New yo the group for posting but have always used it for knowledge and insight from others - so thank you!!

I'm looking for a bit of reassurance I suppose... or perhaps even properly advised!

There's lots of posts around this, but in short, I have a 5.6 highfield with a 115hp Honda. I've ran through maps in detail and believe it possible to get up the straits at low tide.

Do you agree?

I've done it either side of high before, but obviously not low - hence the question.

I have read others sating only high/slack, but I wonder whether they are larger sailing boats without the power and obviously much larger hulls against the sand banks.

Any experience / comments on this really would be appreciated.

We’ve been up & down the straits at all states of the tide & through the Swellies too. You just have to pay more attention at lower states of tide.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2022, 12:32   #3

Town: Easdale
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Look out for platters rock that’s the one that will get you at low tide
Old 14 July 2022, 13:11   #4
ptm

Town: Stockport
Boat name: Mine Craft
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
RIBase
We went through last Saturday at low water neaps. The channel between the bridges gets quite narrow, especially if you are sharing the space. Zoom in on your plotter and watch your sounder. Travelling n.e. to s.w. you soon come to the speed restriction between Plas Newydd until after Port Dinorwic. The marked channel was still showing only 2-3ft depth about an hour after lw here, so springs would be interesting! The sandbanks around Caernarfon are a great place to beach for an hour or two to sit it out. Similar story after Caernarfon really re. depths etc. These sandbanks are always changing but seem to be more so recently. Just take your time and watch your readings. The sandbanks at the other side after Beaumaris, heading n.e., are a bit more consistent so just follow the channel if at lw. It’s a great stretch of water and you will love it. More than do-able in your Highfield. Have fun.
Old 15 July 2022, 19:50   #5

Town: Caernarfon
Make: RibX
Engine: Outboard
Yes, you have the power and lack of draft to passage at any stage of the tides, a good look at your charts before and a keen eye on your depth as you go.