Old 06 January 2020, 16:04   #1

Town: Raleigh
Boat name: RibFest
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Info on 1999 Zodiac Pro 420

I just acquired a Zodiac Pro 420 (1999) and am trying to figure some things out.
It is in fairly decent shape for its age (holds air for about 24 hrs) but I'd like to not waste time and money with the wrong stuff. I've left messages with Zodiac (SC) and Inflatableboatparts.com but "crickets" so far.

Question 1
This has red & black tubes. I've seen some info that says they are probably Strongan PVC, but other information that suggests it could be Hypalon. Anybody know the story here>

Question 2
What air valves does this RIB have? They are black with a green diaphragm button. I see a replacement #Z60052 that looks like it but also a part described as "will fit the Classic Mark 1 Valve."*(Zodiac Part #Z60055)". Further complicated by some references to different valves, post 2009.

Looking forward to some solid info.

Thanks in advance.
Old 30 March 2020, 20:06   #2

Town: Kelso
Make: Zodiac pro
Engine: 40hp
Surprised on lack of information.

I also recently bought a 420 pro with red tubes.
When I got it home I noticed I had a leek from one of the tubes, eventually found by spraying soapy water on the tubes.
I bought red patch material and glue for pvc. Glued patch on and worked fine, also patch blends in really well.
After a few days or a week I noticed tubes deflating. Checked all over again with water but could not see any bubbles.
Eventual suspected one of the valves. Bought a new valve online, it works but very sensitive to leaking, quality not good, but better than the old one. Tubes will hold air for a few weeks now.
Old 30 March 2020, 21:19   #3

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Welcome to the forum duckpond.

Don't expect answers from Zodiac any time soon, the world is in the middle of a global pandemic!

Back to your Zodiac Pro. Chances are it's Strongan Duotex, basically PVC. The new Pros are available in Hypalon and Neoprene.

The only Zodiacs with hypalon of that age were probably Grand Raids or some of the commercial boats. The Pro was purely leisure.

Regards the valves, they've probably been superseded. With the right tools you can swap them out, especially if they are leaking if they are not serviceable.

Recognise any of the valves here? https://www.ribstore.co.uk/collectio...-valves-spares
Old 30 April 2020, 18:10   #4

Town: Tighnabruaich
Engine: Mariner 40hp
Our old lifeboat sib had leaking valves and putting the cap tightly on sorted them, not perfect but easy. You may need to put a rubber washer or similar inside lid to make it seal.

Tags
zodiac