Boat name: Unknown
Make: flatcraft
Length: 3m +
Engine: Hangkai 40HP OB gas
MMSI: none
RIBase
Kimo and I

Hello all,

I am here to learn not only about RIB's but about boating in general. So if I seem ignorant to the subject it is because I am. My apologies in advance. I have a handicapped son and we are seeking fun activities we can enjoy together. When boating was chosen as one of our new activities "so much more to this but its a thread" our budget wasn't much and I just couldn't come to a decision. Well in short after looking at everything under the sun I didn't opt for the boat payment and I didn't pay cash for the inflatable online. I ended up purchasing a 1994 Flatcraft with a trailer for $1,100.00. When I made the purchase it was because I had decided to get a 4 meter Bris and the trailer alone was worth $1,100 to me because I couldn't find one used at that price and the new one was $3,000. Seemed like a no-brainer to me. But I have fallen in love with this boat and I wish to restore it. I canceled the order on the 4-meter Bris and 18HP Hangkai. The seller informed me that 18HP was a bit weak. I searched for a used motor with no luck and the next motor size up on Amazon was the 40HP Hangkai. I just couldn't bring myself to pay $4,000 with tax and shipping for a Chinese motor with little info on it anywhere. The 18HP on Amazon had some reviews and it was $1,300 out the door. But, For whatever reason one Re-seller was asking $1800 with a 6% coupon. I went through the ad with a fine tooth comb, but I couldn't find any difference whatsoever from the other re-sellers description. The engine is due to arrive August 2nd and I paid a little over $2,000 out the door. "fingers crossed it is as advertised"? I have dove into learning what a Rib is and I am now looking to install remote steering, throttle, ignition, seating, tube paint, and fiberglass repair kit among other things, and that is how I happened upon this site. Thank you for the add and I look forward to this project. I plan to document the project and take some photos and videos. I will add some to my profile soon. So I am off to the other threads to try and learn how I do this, very much appreciate the availability of this forum. Oh, and I will be sure to update everyone on the Chinese motor that's a bit scary.

Ronny
Old 28 July 2024, 08:49   #2

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Honda BF15
Congrats on the new boat.

I know someone who picked up one of those outboards recently and we were pretty impressed with it (though it's still practically new). I believe it's a copy of an older Yamaha. He mentioned that the 9.9 and 18hp versions are identical though, so I'm not sure if the HP rating is marketing or if there's any detuning going on with the 9.9 version. If it is indeed only 9.9HP then you might struggle a little as you add all the kit and passengers too.
Old 28 July 2024, 09:52   #3
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Hi Ronny and welcome to the forum.

A link to the actual outboard you've ordered would tell us for sure but I reckon you have bought the clone of the Yamaha 15hp 2-stroke I use. If you look at this thread you will see a member here has one as well as the genuine Yamaha vision and you might like to read of the success he has had with the Chinese motor plus the comparisons between them.

It is my impression they are a 15hp and they just call them an 18hp.

https://www.rib.net/forum/f36/chines...ood-90255.html
Old 28 July 2024, 09:54   #4

Town: California
RIBase
Interesting you say that its a copy of the Yamaha because when I was online attempting to figure out which steering kit etc....google kept bringing up kits that fit a Yamaha. When you state marketing and that is interesting too because online the 18HP stated 25 MPH max speed and the 40HP says the same damn thing! The CC was larger. The 40HP 713cc and the 18HP 246CC. Is CC on an outboard motor the same as a car "Cylinder displacement"? I stopped writing this triple-checked the specs, and got paranoid. It is quite a bit larger and the max output is double nearly at 27.4. I get 30 days to return it, cost me $200 to ship it back though, really falling in love with this RIB and not sure if I wish to keep it. the thing is when I test it out I have nothing to compare it to, oi have no boating experience.
Old 28 July 2024, 10:35   #5

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Hi Ronny and welcome to the forum.

A link to the actual outboard you've ordered would tell us for sure but I reckon you have bought the clone of the Yamaha 15hp 2-stroke I use. If you look at this thread you will see a member here has one as well as the genuine Yamaha vision and you might like to read of the success he has had with the Chinese motor plus the comparisons between them.

It is my impression they are a 15hp and they just call them an 18hp.

https://www.rib.net/forum/f36/chines...ood-90255.html
Here is the one I actually ordered from my Amazon orders list.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0DB1V1F3W...roduct_details
Old 28 July 2024, 12:05   #6

RIBase
well i wouldnt be that upset if I bought an 18hp motor and got 15hp, but I bought a 40hp and if I get 15hp I would be very upset.
Old 28 July 2024, 12:31   #7
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Ahh sorry. I'd misread your first post and thought you'd gone for the 18hp.

Anyway Chipko's experience with his Chinese clone may well translate across to the larger motor.
Old 28 July 2024, 13:05   #8

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Honda BF15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnysrib View Post
Here is the one I actually ordered from my Amazon orders list.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0DB1V1F3W...roduct_details
Oh you bought the 40. I thought from your first post that you got the 18. I know nothing about the 40 myself, but the quality of the 18 was a lot better than I would have expected.
Old 28 July 2024, 19:07   #9

RIBase
Well now we will see how the 40 does, em is I have no real boating experience so I have no damn idea what is good or bad, lol. Maybe that's a good thing have low expectations?
Old 29 July 2024, 14:05   #10

RIBase
So the seller on Amazon contacted me and stated that the motor I ordered was out of stock and they were refunding my money and it would be a while before they are in stock again. I believe he caught that he made a mistake on price. Im looking a t 50hp mercurynow, used 4 stroke, guy is asking $2800, so no HANGkai