Old 23 March 2020, 17:38   #1

Town: Gaillard
Length: no boat
Messing about in bateaus

Hello to all!

Been getting lots of useful info from the forum for sometime now and thought it was about time I joined.

Originally from the isle of wight I've always messed around in boats of various sizes, now living France and looking at getting something small to play around in on the weekends.

All the best!
Old 23 March 2020, 19:57   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Welcome mate have you any boat in mind
Old 23 March 2020, 20:08   #3

Cheers Jeff! I’m after a 3.0 metre alu decked, inflatable keel SIB with 6hp 4 stroke outboard. Current thinking is Honwave t30-ae coupled with a Honda BF6. Would like to hear any opinions on this combo / other recommendations...
Old 23 March 2020, 21:09   #4

RIBase
For the money you can't beat an honwave but if your limited to a 6 hp for lifting and portability I would look at a small rib some are a little as 43 kg and will perform well with the 6 hp
Old 24 March 2020, 12:30   #5

Thanks Jeff. Actually limited to 6hp because of regulations over here. Interesting point about a small rib, I hadn’t even considered that. Do you have any you’d particularly recommend? Thanks!
Old 24 March 2020, 12:34   #6

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheathy View Post
Thanks Jeff. Actually limited to 6hp because of regulations over here. Interesting point about a small rib, I hadn’t even considered that. Do you have any you’d particularly recommend? Thanks!

You could look at Fribs, they apparently go well with smaller engines. AB make a range of ally hulled small RIBs with Hypalon tubes, they look decent.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2020, 13:48   #7

RIBase
yep as Dave says the frib works very well look up the gurnard on here ive been out with him with the frib 275, he has a 6hp yam on his im sure he gets 15-16 mph out of it they fold up so fit in the back of an estate all up one of the best portable boats ive seen

Old 24 March 2020, 16:34   #8

Town: Llanfairfechan
Boat name: Labrax
Make: Quicksilver
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Quote:
I bought a Quicksilver 2.9m Alu Rib late last year and I am absolutely delighted with it. Excellent build quality and only 41kg. With dinghy wheels it is a doddle to drag about and launch.

The only thing I am unhappy with it is, that it is sat in my garage tormenting me, 100 metres from the slipway and it's a lovely day for it, but Boris says no play today.

I know the lockdown is similar in some parts of France, where abouts are you?

Edit - Just noticed you are in Gaillard - So, messing about on the Arve?
Old 25 March 2020, 10:40   #9

Very interesting recommendations about the F-RIBs, thanks a lot. I'd not seen them before and they seem an intriguing option, only real downside would be the lack of a flat deck when fishing, some food for thought though.

@PA, yes we are on full lock down, have been for over a week now. Still, plenty of time to shop for boats. The mini ribs are a very cool option too, but again I think the non-flat deck will annoy me over time. And yes, messing about in the Arve, the Rhone, lake Geneva, and hopefully trips to the coast in the summer!
Old 25 March 2020, 10:45   #10

RIBase
you can get over the v floor by making a wood slat deck for info

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/f-rib-...s-71469-2.html
Old 25 March 2020, 12:02   #11

Thanks Jeff! I actually took a look at Donny's threads and that led me to his youtube channel where I saw a wonderful little video of "The Guppy", a great little boat. The little floor he has made is a great idea, not suitable for me as I already picture me getting fly line looped around the slats and losing a fish of a lifetime- that's just how these things go. But certainly I could engineer something to provide a flat floor, you're right.

The question is, would all the effort and cost be worth it in the end or am I better off going for the cheap and ready to go alu decked honwave? I haven't decided yet, I'd love to have a go in some different setups and see what works best for me, but I guess that's part of the journey.

We did have one of the Honwaves when I worked for a fish surveying outfit and it was great actually, I never even particularly struggled with the deck, but I can see the clear benefits of the FRib. The research continues... Thanks again
Old 25 March 2020, 12:49   #12

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Thanks Jeff! I actually took a look at Donny's threads and that led me to his youtube channel where I saw a wonderful little video of "The Guppy", a great little boat. The little floor he has made is a great idea, not suitable for me as I already picture me getting fly line looped around the slats and losing a fish of a lifetime- that's just how these things go. But certainly I could engineer something to provide a flat floor, you're right.

The question is, would all the effort and cost be worth it in the end or am I better off going for the cheap and ready to go alu decked honwave? I haven't decided yet, I'd love to have a go in some different setups and see what works best for me, but I guess that's part of the journey.

We did have one of the Honwaves when I worked for a fish surveying outfit and it was great actually, I never even particularly struggled with the deck, but I can see the clear benefits of the FRib. The research continues... Thanks again

Just beware with the Honwaves, they’ve had quality issues of late.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2020, 13:17   #13

Oh really, that’s worrying to hear. What sort of issues?
Old 25 March 2020, 13:38   #14

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
No need for concern. It’s only the air floor models affected, and in particular only the T38’s. They’ve had asymmetric ‘wonky’ floor issues.
Old 25 March 2020, 15:39   #15

Thanks Chipko!
Old 25 March 2020, 19:58   #16

RIBase
Quote:

If your happy to plod along then the honwave and 6 horses is spot on, you could also look at excel boats he has a good range backed up with accessories a decent build quality and he ships you might get a good package deal too
Old 27 March 2020, 08:10   #17

Thanks again Jeff. Still trying to decide how important being able to stick the boat in the back of the truck is to me. Particular for 600+ km jaunts down to the cost where I think a trailer or having the boat on the room would grow old very quickly.