Old 15 September 2013, 18:19   #1

Town: Nice
Boat name: Kimberley
Make: Bombard
Length: 4m +
Engine: outboard Johnson 30
My bombard commando c4

Hello,
I bought a great little Bombard c4 with a 2stroke Johnson 30hp manual outboard. Its the coolest boat ever! Now I just have to figure out how to keep it in good nick which is why I'm searching this forum. Is it really possible to deflate this boat and put it in a bag for the winter? Anyone tried it? Is it a job for an expert team or will I manage it with a girlfriend? Any advice?

Sophie
Old 15 September 2013, 19:43   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
4 meters; about 12 feet.

2 people can certainly manage to pack this up; hardest part will probably be dealing with the motor. Assuming you can lift and move that, the rest is (relatively) easy. I did it once alone on a 14' (though I didn't bag it; just cleaned out under the floor. Didn't have to move the motor, just braced it up.)

If you have an inflatable keel: Once motor is off partially deflate the tubes, remove the stringers from the floor edges (I assume this has a solid floor), lift up at the front of the forward square floor section, remove the two front floor sections, then the rest of the floor sections. Either vacuum or roll the tubes to expel as much air as possible, and bag and go (be ready for a fight; they don't like fitting in the bags they shipped in.)

If you have a solid keel, the procedure will be different, but I don't remember how.

jky
Old 15 September 2013, 20:40   #3

Town: Nice
Boat name: Kimberley
Make: Bombard
Engine: outboard Johnson 30
Could I re-inflate SIB easily? With a foot pump?

Thanks for the advice, so far. I found a Youtube demo that made it look easyy but I find it hard to believe! Any other amateur reports greatly appreciated.

I'm also a bit worried about pumping the boat up again! The Bombard has 3 big chambers and I top up easily with a plastic foot pump that came with the boat but would I be pumping for 3 hours to do the whole boat?

And important question - would it damage the boat to deflate it every winter and inflate in the spring? Tough part might be taking the engine off the back board, I was told that moving the motor too often was a bad thing because it weakened the joint between the board and the chambers. So not sure, do most people simply store their SIBs in the garden or the garage over winter? Wish I had a garden!
Old 15 September 2013, 20:54   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Doesn't do the boat any harm to deflate it and store. Used to do the same with a Zodiac Mk II CGT for 15 years!

Remove the engine. Good opportunity to get it serviced, winterised, etc. With the engine off, wash the boat with a mild detergent, remove the floor (whether aluminium or ply) and rinse well. Importantly, ensure the boat is thoroughly dry. Remove the valves and allow the boat to deflate. With the air out of the boat, fold the cones ends in one on top of the other on top of the transom. Pull the sponsons or tubes in so they meet in the middle (you can use the rope lace cuff to do this). Starting at the transom roll the boat towards the bow (bit like swiss rol!) The boat can be tied with a rope to keep it in that shape.

Store in a well ventilated and dry garage. Any danger of rodents, then consider lifting off the ground, etc.

All the ancillary equipment such as valves can be cleaned and greased, oars varnished, etc.