Old 28 February 2022, 01:15   #1

Town: Victoria
Make: Gala
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu MFS9.8B
New from Vancouver Island, BC

Hi all,

Am joining the site being an owner of a Gala 330 SIB with a Tohatsu 9.8. I'm mainly a fisherman who likes to get after salmon in the Georgia Stait and Juan de Fuca strait. Since getting into It's somewhat been a constant chase for efficiency when it comes to setting up for fishing since day one. An obsession, really. I'm curious to see how others here do their routine.

Adrian
Old 28 February 2022, 10:03   #2

Town: Wyboston, Bedford
Length: no boat
Welcome from another newbie to the site.

I'm very jealous of your location!
Old 28 February 2022, 12:04   #3

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Hi Adrian and welcome.

A bit of a coincidence, this morning I'm in the very early stages of planning a long haul motorhome holiday for 2023 to either Vancouver Island & BC or New Zealand. So a question you are in an ideal position to answer is - what are the best months to visit for decent/good weather and wildlife spotting opportunities?

When you say a Gala 330 is that the F330A?

I think Gala are quite new in the UK, I know they supply RIBs but I've never seen any SIBs for sale in the UK
Old 03 March 2022, 21:53   #4

Town: Victoria
Make: Gala
Engine: Tohatsu MFS9.8B
Thanks for the welcome.

Robmac, I hope you can visit one day!

Steve, I'd say the best months to visit are from around April to September. The days are longer, the sun is bright, less rain and the temperatures are comfortable. Marine wildlife can be seen all year round, but I'd say these are the comfortable months.

Yes, my boat is exactly that. The Gala F330A, with the airfloor. Gala is part of Grand Marine International which I believe is HQ'd in Toronto Canada if I'm not mistaken. The Gala's held up very well for me so far!
Old 03 March 2022, 22:47   #5

Boat name: Redneck
Make: Excel
Engine: 20 efi & 9.8 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somewhereoutthere View Post
Thanks for the welcome.

Steve, I'd say the best months to visit are from around April to September. The days are longer, the sun is bright, less rain and the temperatures are comfortable. Marine wildlife can be seen all year round, but I'd say these are the comfortable months.

Yes, my boat is exactly that. The Gala F330A, with the airfloor. Gala is part of Grand Marine International which I believe is HQ'd in Toronto Canada if I'm not mistaken. The Gala's held up very well for me so far!
Thanks for the info, think we will be planning for the end of August begining of Sept '23 for our trip. Early days but I wil probably be asking a few more questions if you are OK with that.

Just looked at the Gala website, difficult to tell exactly how the SIB is built. Is there an inflatable keel under the airdeck? Does it have an airdeck/keelboard between the deck and the keel? It looks reasonably fast (F300 in the video) with a 9. 8 Tohatsu on the back, is yours a 4 stroke? What kind of Wot speed are you getting?
Unfortunately with the way things are in Ukraine I don't think we will be seeing many Gala sibs or ribs in either Canada or Europe, all our thoughts should be with them.
Old 04 March 2022, 07:16   #6

Town: Wyboston, Bedford
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somewhereoutthere View Post
Thanks for the welcome.

I would dearly love to Adrian, alas my wife's illness precludes us from any long journeys.

As another newbie though I shall watch your threads with interest. It's a bit of a learning curve for me at the moment.

All the best

Rob