Old 07 August 2011, 08:20   #1

Town: Porstmouth
Make: Chasecraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 90 4 stroke
New Member - Chasecraft 550

Hi,

Thought I'd join and say hello and pose a couple of questions as I have been unable to answer these elsewhere to date.

I recently bought a Chasecraft 550 for general messing about/skiing etc, very good condition albeit seems a bit stern heavy with a Mariner 90. But pleased so far, especially as at 5.5 M is easily handled by the family for the land water transition. Now for the questions as I am aware Chasecraft no longer exist as a company, so I can't go back to the makers.

The boat has a sealed hull from what I can make out, on the assumption that the tubes that pass through the deck are all properly sealed! No drains or inspection hatches. So what is in the void between hull and deck..anything, foam, polystyrene, bouyancy bags? I ask as I have an aversion to 'sealed' spaces on boats as, in my experience, they tend to become unsealed and then wet! Before I start drilling holes, should I be concerned?

Since the boat seem a little stern heavy, could there be water in there exacerbating the weight of the engine ?

If anyone has a spec sheet for this boat, or knows how much it should weigh, that would also be very helpful!

Thanks,

Andy
Old 07 August 2011, 08:40   #2

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
the void should be just that - a void with nothing there. if your console / frame etc is screwed to the deck then yes water could well be entering the hull, i and others do have this problem. my plan is to fit a drain plug at the bottom of the transom so that i can periodically release any water.
you dont mention what your seating layout is, do you have a bench seat at the back? i dont, but i find that whenever anyone new gets on my boat they all want to sit / stand at the back which makes the boat plough in the water. get everyone sat a bit further forward, as that will make a huge difference.
Old 11 August 2011, 21:54   #3

6m chasecraft

Hi Abchas, I'm also a new chasecraft owner - bought a 10 yr old 6m/mariner 90 this week. performance seems a bit dull, but need to sort a possible fuel problem to be sure.
Old 15 August 2011, 20:41   #4

Hi Festinghouse

Yes, seems quite stern heavy and crew position is critical - especially to get onto the plane. I have two single jockey seats abreast behind the double jockey console, so quite well aft, and great for the little ones. But it does men that the weight is well back...so need to get the adults forward to get her started easily. Perhaps I am expecting too much after a 150Hp two stroke on a BWM 21!

Interesting that you have had problems with screwed down fittings...mine looks to be well sikaflexed but you never know. If and when I get to putting in a bung I'll post what I find.

Thanks, Andy
Old 15 August 2011, 20:53   #5

Hi Buzzfan

Congratulations on your purchase. First time out I thought the performance was dull, and she seemed happier to turn one way than the other, albeit even with hydraulic steering she would still track straight 'no hands'. A very small adjustment to the trim tab seemed to make a difference to the dullness....or was that just imagination?

Good luck sorting your fuel issue, might liberate some extra horses which can only help.

Andy